Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

What to do with fabric?

Pages: 1 8 replies

My mother's been offering to sew me a patchwork quilt so I've been looking around during my thrift store excursions for scraps of nice Hawaiian-type print fabric. A little while ago I found this lovely big piece for 6 bucks.

It seems a pity to cut it up, but I don't know what else to do with it. It's almost the right size for a tablecloth for my dining room table except it's not wide enough to drape over the sides. Suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any scraps of fabric they'd be willing to send me for my quilt? (I'd pay postage, of course, or maybe we can arrange a trade).

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki on 2004-08-03 00:46 ]

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 00:09 ]

C

Greetings Sweet Daddy;

Nice fabric! My preference would be a men's sarong as sold at the Mai-Kai since it would show off the pattern very nicely. Alternatively, an Aloha Shirt would be good as well, although the pattern is somewhat large. As far as the scraps, I PM'd you and if you'll get back to me I'll help Joelle sweep the cutting room floor, and we'll get you set up.

Cheers!

D

Pretty fabric-what about making a type of throw with it-stitch a thin piece of batting to it,and then put a solid piece of coordinating fabric over the batting-it would be a kind of afghan or beach blanket.

C

Joelle suggested that if you wanted a tablecloth, you could take the central portion of the design, clip the borders and stitch plain white (or other matching) cotton fabric on each side to make up for the width.

Cheers!

A

Use it as wall paper

Make a lamp

Reupholster

Drapes or a bed spread

Make a shirt like Swanky's

Frame a Tiki!!!

Mahalo,
Al

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.

Cybertiki, I emailed you.

Al, I love the record display wall. Did you make the bamboo frames? Can you change the album covers or is it a permanent installation?

S

it will take me a while, but I'll send some fabric. That's rad that yer gonna git a hwasaiian quilt. My firneds mom did a cowboy one for her, and a gambling one for her brother, and they were both super cool. Email me yer addy. I have fabric... lots of fabric....
PEa

S

okay, I don't know why I cannot type today... sorry kids...
I must still be at the pool at the Tropicana in my mind...

I might have some too (scraps left over from shirt making) though I JUST threw a bunch of smaller scraps out (and they picked up the garbage yesterday!)

Pages: 1 8 replies