Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Who's extending their Hukilau stay?

Pages: 1 24 replies

H

I'm tentatively planning on staying an extra week or so after the Hukilau, and travelling down through the keys. I haven't made any solid plans yet, and knowing me, I probably won't until Hukilau is over and I'm standing there alone in the hotel lobby hungover, bedraggled and saying "Now what?"

Anyone else planning on taking extra days in Florida? Before or after Hukilau? Keys Caravan, anyone?

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 3:13 PM

I know of at least 2 who will be there all week, one being Bamboo Ben and Mrs. B. I count 14 rooms booked on Wednesday before the event. A good bunch are making it an extra long trip.

T

My uncle has a condo in the keys.

I pondered the idea of going down there after last year's Hukilau, but didn't end up going.

If there's gonna be a post-huki TC expedition to the keys, count me and the Mobile Exploration Lab in!

T

Mrs. Pug, Mama Pug and I are going down to Key West for a week after Hukilau. If enough people come down, we were thinking about getting a TC snorkel trip together. There is a catamaran by the name of Sebago that takes snorkelers out to the reef. Staci and I have gone out on it many times and have always had a great time. If we could fill the boat up on Monday or Tuesday, it would be a blast.

H

I'd be up for snorkeling! The best snorkeling I've done was just off of Key West.

I'll be there as of Sept. 21st - and leaving late on the 27th. I hope to escape on a fun adventure or two during that week.

My buddy and I are heading north to the Spacecoast for three days of surfing before we start the trek in the rental van north. Staying in Melbourne with an old friend from home. I'm hitting anywhere from Cocoa Pier down to Melbourne Beach Sunday-Tuesday... Hurricane Swell Season!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-04 23:05 ]

S

We're getting in to Ft. Lauderdale early and then we'll be heading down to Key West on Monday the 27th. If anyone else is going to be around Key West the week after Hukilau it would be great to relax and explore together :)

T

Another post-Hukilau event is Surf In The Turf II, held Sunday, September 26th at Skipper's Smokehouse in Tampa.

Performers include I Belli di Waikiki, The Vodkanauts (both bands featured at Hukilau 2004) and The Thrusters, a hot-rod surf four-piece from Orlando.

http://www.skipperssmokehouse.com

C

I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale from 9/22 until 9/29, at the Royal Palms. 760-427-1606

I'm contemplating a trip to Orlando to check out all that is Disneyworld. Since this is my 1st trip to Florida and Orlando is less than 4 hours away I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. No definite plans as of yet...

I haven't booked my flight yet but contemplating the Keys, (I've always wanted to go and explore there) Is there anything left after the hurricane??? Anybody know how hard if any the Keys got it???

Hey Pugs, "howzit brah" How you liking the dry desert heat? Can't wait to hear about it at the Huki! I'll see if I can get more time for the Keys. C-ya!

S

Hey Humu...we are leaving Seattle for the Bahia Mar on the 19th and returning on the 26th. We'd love to hook up if you come early! :) Matt & Teresa

T

Hey Shakatiki.. good to hear from you. Can't wait to catch up with you @ Hukilau. We are staying right at Mallory Square (Festival Of The Sunset) and I will be making mojitios by Sunday afternoon. All TCers are welcome to come by. We are still planning on a snorkeling trip if anyone else is interested.

NT

I see quite a few of you are planning to head to Key West after Hukilau. We are totally addicted to KW and would like to make a few suggestions. For an excellent snorkle trip we recommend The Stars and Stripes. You can sign up for their trip at Lands End near Turtle Krawls. Small group with personal attention. They served a nice continental breakfast and a fabulous lunch. After snorkeling is done for the day they break out the beer. Its well worth the money. Sebago is huge with over 100 people on board which leaves many opportunities to get beaned by flippers. There's no comparison between the two. If you're really into Mojotos,Bartender Rob at El Meson De Pepe's at Mallory Square makes the absolute best Mojoto on the island. Very heavy handed with the rum and the man can muddle!!! We just got back from KW otherwise we'd be heading down again. Also, for those of you who are flying in for Hukilau, you might want to checkout the Catamaran that takes off out of Miami to KW. Go to http://www.fastcats.org/aboutus.htm

T

Sebago actually has 3 boats. The 100 person boat is used mainly for the Sunset Cruise. Everytime we have went out with Sebago, their hasn't been more than 30-35 people. Plus, the price is half of Stars & Stripes, and I'm sure most of our money will have been spent @ The Hukilau. I will agree with Bartender Rob's mojitos, very heavy handed and yummy. They are almost as good as mine.

I am a new member of TC.
I was wondering if anybody would recommend renting a car or just getting there by Cab from the airport?
I am planning on attending all of the events at "The Hukilau" including the Mai Kai. I was just wondering if I need to rent a car.
If anybody knows about Fort Lauderdale I would appreciate your wisdom!!!
THANX

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-08-23 16:03 ]

I booked my flight today and am staying till monday, but since it is only $25 to change the ticket, I might stay a day or two more. I have never been to Florida, 90 miles from there, but never FLA

P

You don't need to rent a car if you're just going to hang out.

Someone will always be available to give you a lift and water taxis are very cool.

Plus once you get to the scenes you won't be going anywhere at night except crawling back to your room.

U

I'm also new to TC. Aloha, everyone! Hula Bliss (the wife) and I are heading down early for Hukilau and renting a convertible to drive down to Key West for a couple days before festivities begin at Hukilau. Then we're hanging around for a few days to enjoy the Florida sunshine (her first time there). We're staying at the Bahia Mar.

am editing my posts into oblivion before the Moderators do it for me......

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:19 ]

i think now we're pretty set to go see the mermaid show at Weeki Wachee Springs...

H

No more extended Hukilau nuttiness for me, I'm afraid... my work has ramped up dramatically, and I'm going to have to change my flight to come back as early as possible. Hope everyone else has a blast in the Keys!

I am a South Florida native, born and raised. My father and step mom own a condo on Key West. I know all of you Californians have cool bars and stuff, but Duvall Street downtown Key West cannot be missed. We call it the Duvall Crawl, where you start at 1 bar, and work your way down having a drink at each. There is Sloppy Joes, Irish Kevins, Captain Tony's, The Flying Monkey, etc...I wish I could take more time off, but alas, work work work...

Aaron

Pages: 1 24 replies