Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Amazing Race!

Pages: 1 43 replies

H

I thought about putting this in the Guilty Pleasures thread, but NO!-- this show is nothing to feel guilty about. Who else here is addicted to this show?

This is hands-down the best reality show on television, and is the only reason I ever turn my TV on. I first got into watching it last season after seeing how devoted and large a following it has at Television Without Pity. (I don't watch television, but I read about it. It's funnier that way, and quicker.) If you watch The Amazing Race, you MUST read the weekly recaps at TWoP.

The Amazing Race Recaps

So far this season, I haven't found a team I really want to root for, though I've got a few people I'd love to see drop out (Mirna, mostly--Charla is no peach, but she's not as bad as her terrible cousin, who probably brings out the worst in her). Last week's leg was insane--a grotesque amount of bus & plane travel, followed with a grotesque amount of fish eggs. I didn't understand how the caviar was so hard to get down until I read some nutritional details in the recap. Blech!

Tuesdays, 10pm Eastern/Pacific, 9pm Central/Mountain, CBS

The Amazing Race website at CBS (not as good as the TWoP stuff, but has pictures of the teams to get you up to speed.)

TB

Utopiandreem & i watch Amazing Race religiously. I got everyone at work watching it as well and we have a pool going. I also havent chosen a team that im rooting for. This season racers are alittle more difficult choose a favorite. In the office pool I have Kami/Karli & Chip/Kim. The reason i like this program so much is the traveling aspect.

Tbird.

L
laney posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 5:00 PM

Last year this was one of me and my son's "don't miss shows" it was on a day when I didn't work so we'd watch it in bed eating junk. We really wanted the BFGs to win but kept watching after they lost. It is a great show!

Sadly this year it is on a night I work and meet up with a friend for a cocktail before work. I always forget to tape it and once you miss a few, I feel out of the loop.

I want my best friend and I to do this show. She used to be a travel agent and knows the ins and outs. Plus, we've been friends for so long, I'm sure we'd make it through anything.

DZ

Yep, we watch it religiously also! We used to have friends over for dinner and watch in previous years when it was on Thursdays at 8:00, but now that it's Tuesdays at 10:00, we just have dessert.

My buddy and I filled out applications last year, but missed the deadline sending them in... (This year we are applying online!) He works for the FAA and knows a lot of 'insider' tips for air travel...

As to who will win: although it's doubtful they'll make it all the way, but we're rooting for the Bowling Moms!

H

I am kinda partial to the Bowling Moms. They haven't really had a lot of screen time yet, though. I also like Chip & Kim. Can't tell yet how I feel about Modelin' for Jesus--they've made some smart moves and play the game well, but his Christopher Atkins Blue Lagoon hair creeps me out.

Kami/Karli seem to be a strong team at first blush, but if you look at how they've done so far, they've been near the bottom for every finish. Based on that, I don't think they'll last much longer. I think it hurts them that while they're both athletic, neither of them is particularly physically strong, and they haven't been making any of the really smart planning moves (or flag spotting--jeez louise, they need glasses or something!) you need to get ahead of the pack.

I was heartbroken last year when the Clowns were Philiminated.

I've always thought that if I was a contestant on The Amazing Race (or most Survivor type reality shows) I would die. The first time I had to swim somewhere as part of a challenge or jump off a building or something it would be >splat< game over. This season of AR I haven't felt that yet. I think I could bite into 10,000 chocolates and eat a kilo of caviar without dying a horrible death. I might feel bilious for a while but it would pass.

TWoP is a guilty pleasure -- I've wasted too many hours in my bathrobe reading it while avoiding work.

8T

Count us in as addicted! Mrs. 8FT & I haven't missed a single episode of any season. For some reason, I especially like the theme music at the start of each weeks show. I crank the volume. We like Survivor and Big Brother but we LOVE the Amazing Race.

okay, so i am hopelessly addicted to the amazing race. may it be the only tv show that i watch during the week (i can prove this by attesting that we do not have cable...hence no reason to watch television otherwise)
but yes, i have watched every season of the amazing race and would love to be on it. this season, i absolutely hated alison and donny, and was so thankful when they lost early on. i also really do not like the twins. they seem pretty dim-witted and rely a lot on their self-perceived 'good-looks'. i will go out on a lone limb here and state that i enjoy watching the mirna/charla team. yes, the show teases them a lot as being a favorite. yes, the local and entertainment programs are having a field day with them. but what really amuses me is how they fall on most clues per-chance. they are almost like on a vacation, and the race is this second side goal of theirs. charla is big on proving herself to the world. mirna is unbelievably a lawyer in the 'real world' and is such a ditz....and is obviously competing for the sole satisfaction of meeting the host at the end of each leg (as evidenced by her constant touch up of makeup and rearrangement of tangled hair right before going to the platform). you have to admit, it is pretty damn funny.
yeah, i havent really picked a team that i support. i do like the bowling moms just because they arent the typical naive-cookie-cutter-truly-honest-older ladies that these shows usually choose. these women are sneaky and vindictive, you gotta love that!
i just wonder how next week will work with them not having a dime to their name.

this show also make me wonder, why havent mig, or humu tried out for it? you guys are totally the adventurous travel type. why not give it a go? you would have tremendous support here. :)

T

We were addicted to this show last season, but have barely seen it this season. It's a really well-made show, for what it is, and in the 5 minutes I saw of it last week, I quickly learned a bit about each couple. What's frustrating is how much of the show is racing to the airport and fighting over airplane seats. Gets tiresome after a while. I prefer Survivor.

Something that I find superior about Survivor(if I can use that word when describing "reality" shows) is that AR doesn't have much conflict between teams. Sure, the couples sometimes bicker, but Survivor is nothing but conflict, with a few lame contests thrown in to break up the back-biting and trash talking. The AR contestants rarely get the chance to interact, which takes away a lot of the psuedo-drama.

I know if I started watching AR, though, I'd get sucked in, and way too much of my schedule in the past has revolved around tv shows. Thank god for the tv drought this summer. TV has never been worse and I've never watched less.

And to save him the effort in this thread, Bong says to kill your tv. :)

H

Man, this show gets my heart thumpin'! Another great episode last night. Colin & Christie showed yet again that they're superior racers--I might have to start rooting for them even though I wish they didn't bicker so much. Mirna didn't do anything hateful this week, which was disappointing--it's fun to hate her. I love that the twins said they were clueless when they decided to not use the clue they were given. You're not clueless (literally!), you're idiotic. I love Chip for stopping to be helpful, but it's gonna bite him if he doesn't watch out. Hope good karma saves them!

TB

Doctor Z, your going to have a big laugh, my satalite recorder didnt record Amazing Race! Damn! did you tape it? I read the CBS Amazing Race site news, it seems it was a good episode.

Technology sometimes really sucks.

Tbird.

Yay Chip & Kim! I've got my favorites now--they've honed their racing skills, and not only have they continued to be nice under pressure, but I think they're actually getting even nicer & more laid back, which is impressive. I love that they're enjoying themselves so much.

I'm glad the bowling moms have squeaked through again.

Did none of the teams know what a scarab is???

T

We are hooked, Mrs. Toa does not miss a show, unlike me because of a phone call missed last nights show, which I had to wake her up to find out what happened, really need to get TiVo. Or go to that link of Humu's.

H

They've been rebroadcasting the Tuesday episodes on Saturday nights at 8pm, you can catch it or record it then.

TB

Mirna is starting to get on my nerves, she always complaining about everything. Even though Colin is kind of a jerk, i cant blame him for fighting with Mirna.

T

I hated to hear that the brothers lost, half of why I am watching it is I think to see Myrna and Schmyrna lose, I am sick of hearing how much they are good Christians and then watch them lie, and do the other things they do.

Update! The cousins are out! I do have to give credit for Myrna who ate the chocalate, she ate the fish eggs, and ate the ostrich egg and showed a lot of grit.

I thought it was a great episode last night. I was amazed by the bartering of money to take the bus for Brandon and crew. Man, the other groups got off easy compared to them.

Are ostrich eggs that difficult to eat? I couldn't understand why many of the individuals were gagging on the food. Colin looked positively sick.

I think Chip and Kim have moved to my #1 spot to win! :)

TB

Oh man, last night episode was great, Collin is definitely a dumbsh*t. Never argue & raise your voice at a cop in a foreign country, if there wasnt a film guy watching them, he would definitely be put in jail. Then he dumps all over his girlfriend among the other teams. Cant wait till next week!

Tbird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-08-25 13:15 ]

H

I enjoyed this Mirna-free week. Didn't miss her one bit.

Hakuna matata??? Colin is a complete and utter asshole. Christie's going to be shocked at herself one day when she wakes up and realizes what she let herself put up with.

They did an excellent job with the editing... if it weren't for Colin going ballistic, there actually wasn't a lot of action in this episode, but it sure didn't feel that way while I was watching it. With the lined-up taxis and charter flights the whole way, everyone was pretty bunched up, and strategy didn't come into play that much. But still a great episode. That's the magic of The Amazing Race!

If Chip & Kim don't go all the way, I'm going to be crushed when the are Philminated.

TB

Humu, didnt christie even apologize to collin afterwards? He's a major hot head, i dont think they will last long in a relationship.

T

I totally agree with everyone on Collin, I understood his point, but as an American in a foreign place you will never win, and I do not see them lasting, and I was in disbelief at her apology, but it makes me think of what you hear of women in abusive relationships they blame themsleves before the spouse. And the more I watch the more I am rooting for the Moms and Chip/Kim. And Humu I agree I think you would be great at this with your vast travel experience, Humuhumu's next great adventure?!?!

yessssss! the evil twins are out! it's about time. i dunno, there was just something about them that just was not right.

now seriously folks, for those who had watched, would you have taken the slower roadblock/detour (or whatever the hell it is) if you had known that you would have gone to mud pits with awesome maori signage everywhere? the gates of hell, i believe it was called....in new zealand. now come on now, if you were in the contest, wouldnt you have taken WAAAAAY too long there wanting to examine each maori artifact and take a picture with each sign? the drunken hat and i discussed this and we each concluded that there was no way that we could win this leg with this assignament ahead of us. however, we would totally have done the sledging leg, but then we would have missed out on the artifacts. oh the decisions! we would be totally screwed at this game! :)

for those who did not catch the episode, the mud baths spot in new zealand presented a bunch of maori masks. one including a giant mask that was in the form of a gate. the end guy that they had to "check in" with had traditional maori facial tatoos of a maori warrior. it was awesome. :tiki:

[ Edited by: tikicleen on 2004-09-07 23:20 ]

TB

Damn, their goes my team for the office pool, it was a random pick.

DZ

I always thought the twins looked too much like John Lithgow for my comfort...

H

On 2004-09-08 00:39, Doctor Z wrote:
I always thought the twins looked too much like John Lithgow for my comfort...

Or, would that be Roberta Muldoon?

What a relief that it was the twins out instead of Chip & Kim. Chip & Kim really need to get aggressive, they keep happily letting Colin & Christie get ahead of them when they should be, oh, I don't know, racing?

At this point, I can't see Colin & Christie not winning. I think any of the other teams could beat them, if they were just willing to put a bit more effort into it.

I want to Zorb. I want to Zorb right now. In New Zealand.

TB

I think the key to have Colin & Christie not win is to somehow get to the yield sign 1st in next episode, or at least get a real bad cab driver. How many episodes are left anyways?

Tbird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-09-08 09:45 ]

Every now and then, I'll look over at my wife and in my best Colin freak out voice yell "I'm Packin' it!"

What an A-hole! (Not Colin, me)

Each time the Maori faces blipped on the screen, I'd look at my wife and she'd say "Yes, I see them"

I wanna try all the extreme sport stuff they were doing last night! Was that hamster- ball thing the Zorb? I agree with Humuhumu, then. I too wanna zorb!

J

Amazing race junkie here, too.
I wanna Zorb badly (but Florida has few Zorb-able hills), but even more, I wanna Sledge. Really bad. Why kayak when you can have less plastic between you and the rocks?
My vote was for Colin and Christie, but after seeing him detonate while trying to plow, I think he is going to pop like a tick next episode. Man, she really gets under his skin. Well, at least she stayed clean so that while she is under his skin he won't get an infection.

H

Since I was travelling last week, I only just now got to watch my tape of this week's episode (thanks puamana & Selector Lopaka!). I'm not sure that I like the whole Yield thing, but I was pleased as punch to see Colin & Christie squirming, and was shocked that they would take it so poorly. All of the teams wanted to Yield them, Chip & Kim just happened to be the ones whose pic got put up there. Poor sportsmanship on C&C's part. Besides, they did so abysmally with the ox thing ("My ox is broken!") that they werent' going to do so hot this leg anyhow.

Chip looked like the most adorable little snoring baked potato with his silver blanket in the HK airport.

Whee! Finale next week! For anyone's who's interested, come on over to my place to watch it. I'll mix some drinks and make UtopianDreem's hummus. Email me or PM me for directions to my place.

Hopefully, Dr. Z won't mind my sharing the entirety of our IM conversation this evening:

(21:04:23) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(21:11:22) I am Dr Z: Who will get PHILIMINATED?? :x
(21:15:29) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(21:31:04) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(21:51:27) mushwhiting: IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!
(21:51:28) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(21:53:06) I am Dr Z: squeeeeeal!!
(22:02:56) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:02:59) I am Dr Z: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:03:09) I am Dr Z: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:05:34) I am Dr Z: new drinking game: every time someone says "hurry","hurry up","faster" ,"drive fast" or anything implying an expedited speed, everyone drinks!
(22:14:46) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:15:41) I am Dr Z: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!
(22:30:21) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:31:22) I am Dr Z: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!
(22:39:29) I am Dr Z: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!
(22:39:36) mushwhiting: AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!!
(22:58:12) mushwhiting: [ BOMP ]
(22:58:25) mushwhiting: HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU!!!!!

Man, that felt good. How is the entire nation not completely transfixed by this show??? My heart is still beating fast. Maybe I need to get out more. :)

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:09 ]

T

Happy for Chip and Kim, but really think that Collin and Christie were the best team, and if not for the yield they might have won. But Chip and Kim played good at the end, I was yelling at them when they were be a lil underhanded and devious but then I had to think, what would I or any one else do in that situation if given the chance to compete for a million dollars. Well season 6 is done and ready to be shown but will not start airing until somtime later now because they want to keep it in that time slot which is good.

[ Edited by: tiki-toa on 2004-09-22 11:12 ]

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:09 ]

S
SES posted on Wed, Sep 22, 2004 11:03 AM

After watching the show who else would want to marry either one of them. :wink:

They just want to grab as much publicity as possible.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:08 ]

TB

Just found out the Amazing Race #6 will air on November 16th! For more info. goto...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/

DZ

AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE AMAZING RACE!!!!

S
SES posted on Fri, Oct 29, 2004 4:41 PM

What's up with the June bug wannabe hair-do on this guy? LOL

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/teams/adam/bio.shtml

TB

Well at my work we have already started the amazing race pool. I got Lori & Bolo! This pick could work out good for me.

TB

Oh well being sick sucks, missed the first amazing race 6 episode. For anybody else who missed it as well goto:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race6/show/ep01/

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:05 ]

I just saw the first episode of this season, and I must say I am hooked!

AMAZINGRACE
AMAZINGRACE
AMAZINGRACE!!!!

Pages: 1 43 replies