Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Shack Yard coming into shape finally...Pics

Pages: 1 8 replies

Well the yard is really coming into shape this season. All the "Rain trees" I planted have grown about 4' since March believe it or not. The elephant ears are just looking awesome as well as the bananas and canas. It's really starting to look pretty tropical. Nice eye candy for when I'm carving in the shack..........It's not Costa Rica, but it'll do in a pinch;)

M
Moki posted on Wed, Aug 4, 2004 11:59 AM

Looks great. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing :wink:
Aloha

V

looks terrific, but where's the tikis ??? I don't believe you don't keep some tikis you're carving...

Thanks. Believe it or not....I have been carving for over a year and a half now and I still do not have one for myself yet. I laid claim to one, but eneded up selling it to the "Oakley" Headquarters Showroom in California. Kinda got talked into it...oh well, they'll be more...See pics of it below:

Now that's a nice tiki. This one has a real original style and reminds me of tattoo art. Very nice use of different stains/shades. Did you have any trouble with the stains bleeding over? Any special trick to applying it? What kind of stains & finish did you use?

I drive by that Oakley headquarters every day on my way to and from work - I will have to stop & pop my head in some time. Is it in the public lobby?

I've also sold all of my first tikis & am trying to get some done for my backyard, which is also tropical, but not as heavy foliage as yours. Your yard looks great - you could be in Tahiti or Hawaii from the photos.

Do you have any other work to post? Or a link to your other stuff?

Very nice Gary! I've been wondering what you've been up to these days...

How much does a Banana Plant go for around you? I had my eye on a few up here at garden centers... figured I'd put it outside and then move it in in winter... the prices they charge for tropicals here is outragous. For now I settle with my date palm, Bird of Paradise and Hibiscious... maybe I'll pick some plants up on the way back from Hukilau...

'Cane season warming up... good surf in Brevard last week... hoping for some in late Sept.

Keep up the good work... carving and planting!

Aloha!

Nice looking habitat ya got there Tikifreak! Just the sort of place for an endangered species to thrive. You are a talented carver, and fortunate to have such beautiful gardens...a little slice of paradise!

Aloha

B

TikiFreak, Looks so tropical peeps will think you love in Florida.. Oops you Do..hahaha.seriously the only thing it needs is tikis and more tikis and also a few tikis. Nice work. You are like me, I Never had any of my own work until I quit and I had 1 Pelican and someone gave me back a mask so I would have something..
Make yourself a few pieces and hang "Not For Sale" signs on them so you will have them..

Fantastic gardens!!But what exactly is a "rain tree"?
L.S. i have a few tropicals here in Texas I can ship you..maybe a trade?
My banana tree that I planted last year has about eight suckers growing around it.I also have plenty of hardy hibiscus seeds,cannas(red,coral and orange with green leaves and all red cannas),elephant ears,daylilliesand rose of sharons.
Drop me a line or post a reply
greg

Pages: 1 8 replies