Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Vic's Atlanta

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

I am going to Atlanta next week and I am going to be staying at the Hilton that has Trader Vic's. I am going to be travelling alone and I am wondering if anyone knows if you can order actual meals at the bar. I also would like to know if smoking is permissible at the bar because if it isn't I am going to change my reservation to a smoking permissible room. If anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it.

A

Yes, you can get a full meal, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the place but don't find their food too tasty. The crab rangoon is merely alright and their soups are WAY too salty for my taste. As I recall, the Mahi Mahi was pretty decent. Besides that, the food is expensive.

If you'll have a car, I can recommend any number of good places to eat but I guess if you're staying in the Hilton you can't beat the proximity to TV's.

You can also smoke but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE tobacco....well, no I don't. But you are allowed to smoke in there.

D

DrFunk-

You're one lucky dude. Staying at the Atlanta Hilton, with the Trader Vic's right downstairs. If it was in my budget i would have done the same. You can drink yourself silly and just stagger up to your room. Awesome!

To answer your questions: yes smoking is permitted. I was just there two weeks ago and people were smoking in the bar, which to me is strange to be around ever since the smoking ban here in NYC.

As far as I know you can order food in the lounge area. Not sure if you can only order from the bar menu or the actual dinner menu though. The bar area also has lounge seating, so maybe they will serve you there. Also not sure if the serve food at the actual bar itself. If you are planning on eating there you might as well do it in the dining area. It's totally worth it.

For more info check out
http://www.tradervicsatlanta.com/
and make sure you watch the video. If you're lucky enough to be there on August 21st you'll be able to check out Tiki Torch night. Frig! Wish I could be there for that.

Have a blast dude!

T

Well, I don't have the answers you need regarding your hotel reservation, but I do know that the ice machine is by the elevators, and the maids have a tendency to short-sheet the beds...

D

Thank you for the quick responses! Unfortunately Donhonyc, I am going next week and not on the 21st. I noticed that they are having the "tiki torch night." I hope that they still have those $4.50 zombies on Wednesday and the $4.50 maitais on Thursday. And believe me, I do plan on stumbling back to my room!

If you'd like to meet a fellow Tiki Central member I'd be happy to be the welcome wagon for Trader Vic's Atlanta on your visit.

I organize the Tiki Torch Nights and you can usually find me at our only Tiki oasis at least a couple nights a week. You'll be glad to know that the drink specials are definitely happening and next Thursday you can enjoy the sounds of Atlanta's only Exotica band Tongo-hiti. They are the house band and play every Thursday night.

I can honestly say, from the menu, that the BBQ duck is delicious. I truly recommended it. The food is pricey but you can still get a great portion for around $19. The Singapore noodles are not too bad either.

Hope to see you on your visit! Will you be there both evenings?

D

Tiki Kiliki, I will most definately be there on Wednesday and Thursday night! I plan on getting into the bar each night when they open the doors! You will probably recognize my New England accent quite easily! By the way, my name is Frank. I hope that it is okay to put your first name on here. I don't think that it would be a problem.

During my tiki road trip to Georgia, I spent the first night in Augusta visiting Hale Tiki. If you can swing it, definately make it a priority. It's basically one long straight road from Atlanta, get off at the 4th Augusta exit, and ask directions to Broadstreet.

I spent the 2nd, and last, night at tha Hilton in Atlanta (Sunday). TVs was closed! !*$%&! They said, "You can at least check out Nicholi's on the roof." I did, it too was *#%$&# closed. And Paris was nowhere to be found.

If you are only spending one night in Atlanta, and it's Sunday, don't bother.

Hale Tiki was awesome! I would have stayed there for a second night, but was afraid I would miss my flight.

D

Raffertiki,
Unfortunately I don't think that I will make it up to Augusta this time but I will be returning to the area in October or November. I will plan a trip to the Hale Tiki. I have read really good things about it on this forum. Thanks for the advice!

KK

Re; food at Vic's- the Mahi Mahi is always a good choice. Cosmo tidbits (their "pu pu's") are a good value for pre-dining w/drinks, giving you a good sampling of their finger foods. I love their ribs and coco prawns. Yeah, their are probably better choices available outside of the Hilton, but why waste time away from the bar?

Pages: 1 9 replies