Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

tiki mug help!

Pages: 1 18 replies

N

hello...

i'm looking for a particular tiki mug...can anyone point me in the right direction? i'm looking for the mug pictured sven kirsten's book, THE BOOK OF TIKI...its on page 178...its the decapitated head from ren clark's polynesian village...i really want this mug! does anyone know if its been recast? or how many were originaly made?

i dont really care if its an original or not...i just want that mug!

T

Good luck finding it. I've been looking on ebay for a very long time and have yet to ever see one for auction. I only know of a couple of people that have it in their collections, and there are no repos, as far as I know. This is one of the rarest of the rare!!!

M

Good luck indeed, I think you may need more than that. I shall put you on my list for the second one I found, along with just about everyone else I know that collects! Would such a mug attract more on ebay than the vaunted Kahiki Mystery Bowl?

Nahhhh!

Still, the R. Clark is the mug I hear more talk about, just about everything else is seen every once in a while. Except for that ultra-rare Mai-Kai drum mug!

midnite

N

argh! thats what i figured...thanks for the replies!

M

On 2002-09-09 12:33, nimereht wrote:
argh! thats what i figured...thanks for the replies!

"Arrgghh!" is right, it will be quite a score if you do locate the mug. Do let everyone know if you find one someday. Just don't mention if you got it for $1 from a nice old widow.

midnite

. . . and don't mention if you snipe it using espine either. :wink:

Is the tikibob mug hard to find? I used to live two blocks away from the old joint in San Fran. The tiki totem outside should still be there!

N

woah! so whats the story on that? how/where did you find it?

Finding one of those mugs would be even cooler for me. Besides Ren Clark owning several businesses, he was also a Magician, like myself. He performed an Oriental Themed act, which included the "head chopper" or Guillotine, hence the mug. Ren was the president of several Magic organizations in Texas. A magician in Texas was kind enough to send me a copy of a story written about Ren in an old magic magazine.

Erich Troudt
http://www.magicoferichtroudt.com/

You know, I never thought everyone else would find that mug as attractive as I did.

So, I guess, unless I am fortunate enough to find it at some little consignment shop like I did my Stephen Crane mug, I can hang up the idea of ever getting one.

Us working shelps will nver be able to grasp it on ebay.

Good luck Nimereht!
:sheckymug:

I found that on ebay in the 'early days'.
I've seen 3 of them on ebay so far & never listed as a 'tiki mug'. So far the others I've seen other than the one in the book of tiki have been in rougher condition with little or no cold paint.

Erich- thanks for the info! Very interesting & I didnt know Ren Clark was a magician or any of that! Did he actually perform at the Polynesian Village?

Anyway, dont give up the search, there's always more out there & they always show up in the most unlikely places.
Example:
I was a store in SF yesterday called Therapy & I noticed they had a a little tiki section with a bunch of Tiki Farm mugs, so I grabbed one of those (cool)sufferin bastard shotglasses.
ANYWAY (there is a point here)I was telling the salesgirl how it will look cool next to my vintage one & she says "oh you mean the black one?"
me: yeah...
her: I have one of those, I found it sitting on top of a heap of trash in the dumpster in my apartment building a while back.
me: no way...
Moral of story?
yeah, that wasnt a story about the bloody head mug & yeah that (cute)girl at the shop probably wasnt even looking for , much less coveting that suffering bastard when she found it & yeah maybe there is no moral to this story.....
except maybe there is a glimmer of hope that Midnight will read this & get her booty down to Therapy & see if she can talk this (cute)girl into parting with it & finally scoring one?

I've got one of those mugs from the old ebay days too- there was a lot of three (one cracked) and a friend and myself split it up between us- I think one of them ended up in the Book.

I have a collection of about 12 different Ren Clark's pieces- I'm getting ready to move right now- they are all boxed up, but in a few months I'll take some pics.

there are ren clark mugs in the form of his signature tiki, i have two different colors, a salt shaker of same milan guanko designed tiki, the head, and a few other weird tiki mugs from the place. I also have a plate, a cloth napkin, a menu, etc

I have to admit, I fell in love with that mug instantly when I saw it in fatuhiva's collection (posted long ago on Tiki Central Yahoo!).

I'd love to sponsor a repro of that mug... how would we go about doing that?

~Hanford

M

Hey ya BBTD!

"Midnight will read this & get her booty down to Therapy & see if she can talk this (cute)girl into parting with it & finally scoring one?"

Can you imagine that, found it on a pile of garbage? Maybe I work myself down there and see if I can make a friend...sell it to me, sell it to me, sell it to me!!!!

Just goes to show ya, theer are plenty of ways to find things, gotta network!

midnite

M

On 2002-09-13 22:38, fatuhiva wrote:

I have a collection of about 12 different Ren Clark's pieces- I'm getting ready to move right now- they are all boxed up, but in a few months I'll take some pics.

there are ren clark mugs in the form of his signature tiki, i have two different colors, a salt shaker of same milan guanko designed tiki, the head, and a few other weird tiki mugs from the place. I also have a plate, a cloth napkin, a menu, etc

Signature tiki? What's that look like? Pics, we need pics! Hope you can get some soon.

midnite

This weekend at a g-sale I found a tiki mug/cocktail glass that I've never seen before. I scored some other vintage hawaiian stuff with it & I know it has some age to it.
it kind of reminds me of the Tahitian Lanai mugs I've seen with "carved" lettering. It is green & kind of drum shaped.
on one side it says:
"Stolen From"
& the other side says"
"Bill Kolans Mokuleia"
Anybody heard of or have any info on this place?

hey, just in case anyone cares, a friend of mine knows someone that is a sculpter...he has seen the headhunter mug and is going to make his own version of it...

if it ever happens i'll be sure to post it here...

Wow, I just got this email in regards to this post I made over two years ago!:

"I saw your posting regarding the mug marked Bill Kolans on the tikiroom board.

Bill Kolans was a PhD professor in Hawaii up until about 20 years ago. He was born there. He is an expert on the Polynesian culture, and I believe his degree is in anthropology. He left there upon retirement and sailed around the world with his wife. She died, and he settled in the French Polynesian Island of Raiatea (the cultural and religious center of the islands). I visited there in 1998 and took one of his tours. I think he is still giving tours, even though he must be hitting about 80 years of age. He is the guy that came up with the theory that the original Polynesians came from SE Asia to the island of french Polynesia, then from there migrated to Easter Island, Hawaii, NZ, etc. DNA studies have now proven his theory to be correct.

Maybe he gave all of his stuff away when he retired and sailed around the world, or when he decided to move to Raiatea."

Interesting! One step closer to solving the mystery.
Maybe the mug was a give-away/souvenir from one of his tours?

Pages: 1 18 replies