Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My third tiki! and first Moai!

Pages: 1 12 replies

V

Moai? Maoi? hmmm. Well, just wrapped up working on my third carving using floral foam and a dremel. Im really liking this medium for honing my carving chops and Im ready to tackle a wood guy next. Im so glad that my plaster technique worked for my last one, now I need to track some more down on this forsaken rock I call home. Today a friend of mine told me he lives in a canal based subdivison called "Tiki Island". I thought that was pretty sweet. The gay club down here is called the "Kon - Tiki". Go figure. LOL.

Working on him...

Done...

[ Edited by: VespaVago on 2004-08-09 17:58 ]

O
Octane posted on Mon, Aug 9, 2004 6:36 PM

very well done, looks great, you are really getting the hang of it. your progress is impressive, each one is so much better then the next. can't wait to see what you do next.

M

Nice Moai, love the chin. Love the creative medium also. I think you'd like Basswood. I miss my 150 cc 1966 light blue Vespa more than words.

V

Thanks alot for the kind words Octane! I have seen your stuff posted on here before and its very impressive. And McDougall, do you remember what model Vespa you had?! I fell in love with the look of vintage vespas around 5 years ago and have since restored over 6 vintage bikes including 2 lambrettas. Lemme tell you, its the only way to travel nowadays. Cheap, Fast, and cool as shit to boot.

B

Super well done, Man,you're climbing the ladder by leaps and bounds. Keep up the good work.

Vespa,

I must agree with Benzart. If your second was 100% better than the first, this one is 300% better than the second. I really just got my feet wet carving, and it's really cool to see someone else's transition into the arena.

If you should decide to start working with wood, you should definitely think about getting a Dremel set if your hobby $$$ allow (check out the flexshaft kit).

Keep it up!

F
foamy posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2004 5:46 AM

My favorite Moai yet. Like the style alot.

Oh man, I feel the love. Thanks so much for the encouragement, guys!

Yes, That really is cool. Who would have ever thought that something so cool was hiding inside of those boring floral "bricks"? Great work! Now the hard part will be keeping people from pushing their fingertips into it!

http://www.samgambino.com

LOL, the hard part is keep myself from pushing my fingertips in it! LOL. Im a compulsive bubble wrap popper, nail biter and foam squeezer. Maybe I should try wood next time... hehehehe.

It was a Vespa 150, as far as I know it had no other model name but looked just like the "super 150" I have seen.

B

Very nice! It's amazing how fast you're work is improving!! I dig the forehead on this one. Is there a way to coat it so that it's durable? Like some sort of resin or fiberglass? I know melting is a concern, but it seems like there should be something that could be used to harden it. Or not...

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Aug 14, 2004 8:49 PM

beautiful

Pages: 1 12 replies