Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Holy Grail?

Pages: 1 4 replies

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Sep 9, 2002 5:54 AM

I noticed this aution last night and these two other similiars. Is this the "grail"? More curiously, I noticed that the three have different "tops." One a typical maragrita shape, one more angular, one with a circular bevel (?) in the glass.

ANyone know the history of this glass? Is it really that holy or that rare?

j

J
jtiki posted on Mon, Sep 9, 2002 5:55 AM

I have no personal knowledge but the description from the first auction provides this -

Morgantown Glass made these Mai Tai stems under contract for the Trader Vic restaurant chain using Trader Vic's private mold. Even after Morgantown technically "lost the account" to Imperial, they continued making them for Imperial to ship to Trader Vic's. Very complicated, but explained in some detail in "A Handbook of Old Morgantown Glass" by Jerry Gallagher. The stems came in three forms, with plain or optic bowls.

"A Handbook of Old Morgantown Glass" is OOP but widely available through libraries or can be purchased on the secondary market for @ $50. http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDetails?bi=143262520&AID=7134924&PID=1184861

T

I have both types of glasses. I'm not sure how rare they are. I just liked 'em. I think I paid around $75 each for them.

T

Yes, all three do not show up on ebay that often. The pineapple optic one and then large compote bowl one seem to go for the most money. The smaller bowl one sells for less. If you can get them for under $80 then you'll be doing great!

Pages: 1 4 replies