Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Ash Vessel?

Pages: 1 9 replies

When my Mom died a few years ago, my fup'd "family" never had a memorial.. Her boyfriend just placed her ashes in the yard. (They had a bit of acreage between Joshua Tree and Pioneer Town so it is a bit nicer than it sounds) Anyway…later that day, it started to bug me so I snuck out and scooped up a fair amount of her ashes. I did not know what to do next so I just kept them. Sometimes I bring them to places I think she would have liked.

I've kept them in a ziplock which is pretty low-brow. Periodically I add an accouterment to the bag…a pin, sticker, often it's taped up with Sushi grass or whatever that stuff is called…interesting ale labels, foreign stamps…

I need to consider a better vessel for this than a bag that makes me look like a freelance pharmacist. I've thought of Tiki Mugs or vases, but they bust up pretty easy. Some chic travel mug might work…but they lack character.

She was a kook, loved tiki (Lived in such tiki hotspots as Guatemala, Haiti, San Diego, the Big Island of Omaha … even took me to Kona Hawaii in Santa Ana for my 10th birthday.)

So firstly…any suggestions for the travel vessel, and second…what stories might you have re…Travel with the deceased?

I'd spend the extra coin and have one hand carved. Not only would it not be some mass produced, off the shelf thingy, but you could personalize it.

-Z

8T

Just curious,
Did she wish to be cremated and make that known or did she just "end up that way"?
Usually folks who have made that decision also have left instructions on where they want to be "scattered".
Also, do you take her everywhere?
Please understand....No disrespect intended here.

Have a look at this thread, McDougall has created a beautiful box, something like that might be what you're looking for.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8685&forum=7

I think being NOT embalmed was her goal. Her wishes and thoughts on the topic seemed mostly to give who ever was in the room more comfort with the topic in her last days.

I don't take her everywhere, mostly like when we went to Humphry's in SD a few weeks ago, I tossed the ziplock in the bag.

The hand carved container is a great idea, although things that go on planes can't be too delicate.

I have an extra wooden vase carved by decendants of the Bounty's ship-jumpers from Pitcairn. (It's a little cottage industry they have) but it has no lid, is not interesting. The thought of a specificly made container is great.

L
laney posted on Thu, Aug 12, 2004 4:42 PM

Hi, your story is very touching.

My parents have delt in Oriental antiques for quite some time. There are small bottles called "snuff bottles" they come in many materials, glass (thick and often reverse painted-from the inside- with beautiful scenes) bone, ivory, coral, jade, etc. They are often finely carved and some can be small enough to be corded and worn. A search on ebay should produce many or if you are intrested next time I'm at my Mom's I can see what stock they have left and snap a photo for you. Depending on the materal they can be inexpensive. Beware of Ivory as often people pass off bone as Ivory.
Of course these won't hold as much as your bag or a box but the point is to have her with you, right?
If that isn't big enough how about a small pouch made from some beautiful, tropical, or funky fabric (what ever would match her personality). You could just put the bag in there.
I hope this helps. E-mail me if you are interested in a snuff bottle. I can get you a great deal.

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-08-12 17:13 ]

You might want to check into customs regs as far as ivory, jade, etc. go. Mind you, I don't know that there would ever be a problem and am just advising that you research to be on the safe side. I'd hate to hear that you got held up in customs going between countries having to prove that your container was not purchased illegally due to regulations governing some materials.

L
laney posted on Thu, Aug 12, 2004 5:39 PM

I put "snuff bottle" into ebay and came up with several pages and prices from $1.00 to hundreds. Be wary of some of the ages and decriptions given, my Mom thinks some are laughable.

Although snuff bottles are common I've seen new passed off as old, bone passed of as ivory, and glass passed of as jade, coral, etc. But many are beautiful and have animals, insects, flowers, etc. carved or scenes depicted like weddings, funerals, etc.

Be sure to ask if the cork is in tact and fits nicely. Sometimes they break off or are old and brittle. They have a little spoon attached which you could break off or use to insert the ashes.

I don't know if you are a guy or girl but you can experiment (or I can try this here) with cording them to make a pendant. Many are 2 inches or less. I've traveled with lots of jewelry including ivory, jade and coral and I've been stuck in customs too (not for the jewelry) I don't think it would be a problem and a quck explaination should work unless you also had a box of ivory tusks with you.

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-08-12 17:42 ]

Thanks Laney, I think that's a splendid idea.

I kinda need it to be fairly rugged...so it can survive being in luggage.
I also have a fear that Hotle maids will toss it if it looks like a old toy, or some such.

I will contact you. I like the idea of it being something wierd and old.

Thanks.

And bye the way, I'm a bloke. (I Look like Yosemite Sam)

[ Edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-08-13 01:03 ]

L
laney posted on Fri, Aug 13, 2004 1:02 PM

On 2004-08-12 00:31, Gigantalope wrote:

She was a kook, loved tiki (Lived in such tiki hotspots as Guatemala, Haiti, San Diego, the Big Island of Omaha … even took me to Kona Hawaii in Santa Ana for my 10th birthday.)

Sent you an e-mail today, by the way...

My families favorite restaurant when I was young was Kono Hawaii (spelled Kono just in case you ever search ebay for a mug or something) My sister even had her wedding reception there (still married too) My Mom gave me a coffee can full of Kono Hawaii matchbooks. One I had copied to make a poster. Check out this old thread.
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2092&forum=5

Pages: 1 9 replies