Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Legendary DJ Chuck Leonard of WABC, New York passes away

Pages: 1 1 replies

I am a big fan of the AM and FM radio of the 60s and 70s and I am lucky enough to remember listening to WABC when I was a real, real little kid. A wee lad like 3 or 4 years old. This was in the late 60s early 70s. My earliest memories of WABC were hearing Cousin Brucie (who still does two nights a week on WCBS-FM, here in New York) and Dan Ingram. I can't say that I specifically remember hearing Chuck Leonard but I'm absolutely sure that I probably did back in those days. My parents had WABC on in the car AT ALL TIMES!

Over the years I have studied as a hobby I guess, alot about all the major, pioneering New York City DJs, and alot of the WEst Coast guys too like Tom Donahue and B. Mitchell Reed. I have heard and read alot about Chuck Leonard, Rosko, Scott Muni, Jerry Blavitt ('the geeter with the heater, the big boss with the big hot sauce) and all those other great dudes. These were great DJs fer sure. The funny thing is, I know a guy who is a pretty famous DJ from San Francisco and New York City back in the day, and we were just talking about Chuck Leonard YESTERDAY!!!!!! So I feel compelled to tell you this news about him, aside from being a latent fan of his. If you're a New York person you know who I'm talking about and even if you aren't please check out

http://www.musicradio77.com/

There is a nice write up on Chuck and an air-check from him dated Nov. 26, 1968.
Please listen to it! It SO VERY cool! About 34 minutes into it there is a GREAT commercial about a muscle car show at the New York Coliseum (which is now the new Time/Warner Center building). The car show offered all these great cars of course...the new 1969 models AND a Miss Go-Go USA contest. This was late November, early December 1968. Now let me ask ya. How fuckin' cool must that have been!!??!! My kingdom for a time machine! Of course I could have been there, but I was most definitely safely tucked away in my crib (literally).

They don't make radio guys like this anymore. What a smooth voice..."Ohio Express, and all that mess".

RIP Chuck. Thanks!

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-08-12 23:29 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-08-12 23:37 ]

T

There are a couple more Chuck Leonard airchecks on http://www.reelradio.com

Pages: 1 1 replies