Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Waitiki Party Rescheduled for Aug. 28th

Pages: 1 11 replies

TB

Due to hurricane Charley and possible power outages, the party at Waitiki Retro Lounge has been rescheduled for Saturday, August 28th, 7pm.

May I request that everybody RSVP again to confirm their attendance for the new date.
please reply to:
[email protected]

Yes, we'll have to celebrate International Tiki Day on our own, but who knows..........I just might be able to get more door prizes!!!!!

Yikes!!!!! Charley is coming my way!!!!!
Be assured that the Witco bar is safe and secure......as long as my home is safe and secure.........
Should I offer a sacrifice????Maybe one of my Barbies will do....

TB

We just got our power restored....
The eye of the storm passed right over my house.
A tree split in half 2 houses down and removed their front porch and our power lines simultaneously!!! A residential street that extends in front of our driveway had 4 massive oaks crisscross the road, cars smashed, houses smashed.............
The only real damage at our home was when a vintage coconut tiki mug shattered when Tristan was rolling the Witco bar inside to safety!!! But aside from that, we were extremely lucky!!! Power out for 48 hours, but most other homes still dont have power or cable or phone service. We're running an extension cord to our neighbor's house so they can operate their fridge and a window AC unit. Did I say, we are extremely lucky? Graphite, our deaf/almost blind/elderly Pekingese was oblivious to the entire event, and Kai, our Hamster, stayed snug and dry the whole time.
I raked and bagged debris for 8 hours straight on Saturday to clean up my yard. It looked like a tossed salad after the storm, and I lost a few, tall bamboo stalks; but we are well and our home is fine!!!!
Hey, Bamboo ben, how do I split these stalks? They'd make great frames!
Since there are so many trees down all over Orlando and lots of power lines down, we are being advised to stay in our homes if possible and keep streets clear for the emergency crews to restore power.
All I can say is that the Tiki gods and goddesses are powerful protectors!

P

Glad you're OK, Tristan and Bree.

I wanted to call but didn't have a number and couldn't get it from info.

I think that's everyone checked in.

Big sigh of relief! So good to hear you're safe and sound.

Really, with the power and unpredicted path this storm took, it's pretty amazing that, tragic though any loss of life is, it wasn't in the hundreds.

TB

The mass casualties is this area were the70+ year old oaks that line the streets of the neighborhoods. I hope the city and citizens replant them. However, I wonder if Wayne and other carvers can claim the trunks to create some great tikis!!!

JV

Wow! We got hammered! Just got our power and cable back. Like Bre-elle, we feel pretty lucky. Our neighborhood and yard is trashed, but minimal damage to the house. That sucker rolled right over us!!

Talked to Joel, and the WAITIKI / Monkey Bar is O.K.

Too bad about the party being cancelled, and too bad it's rescheduled for the 28th I'll be in New York..... Sorry I'm gonna miss it, hey NYC what's up next weekend!

-Joe

TB

OK......back to the subject of the party.......
I have received many RSVP's for the 28th,
and would like to encourage anyone who has not yet replied to please do so soon.
And, to assure that we tiki types have quality time together, please try to arrive as close to 7pm as possible because the downtown bar crowd swarms Wall Street by 9-ish.
(Those of you who were at the Thursday grand opening know what I'm referring to.)
After all this Charley drama, it's really going to be nice to get back to the business of having tiki fun!!

TB

Update.........Skinny McGee, a rockabilly band, will be playing on the 28th.
I havent seen them, but they have a strong following with the rockabilly set.
See ya Saturday!!

Skinny is the real, Johnny Cash-lovin' deal. Acoustic rhythm guitar, electric lead, upright bass, no drums. Very entertaining!

Great......I believe that their set will be starting a bit later in the evening......so we'll have plenty of time to jam and score door prizes before we enjoy their stuff.

Remember, everybody, bring a uke or guitar or bongo or other percussion instrument so we can make some island noise!!!!!
More RSVP's are coming in.......this will be fun!!!

TB

Tristan and I just finished assembling the goodie bags that will be given to everyone who attends the Waitiki party.
Hilo Hatties graciously donated bags with special gifts inside, also included are items from Mai Tiki, Orlando Vintage Clothing, Joe Vitale, MaiTai, Waitiki, & Tiki Quest.
Some items are in limited quantities and bags will be given on a first come-first "score!" basis.
Also, we are planning to start awarding the door prizes approximately at 7:45. Party starts at 7pm and lasts until...

Please email me with any questions.......and I'll see you tomorrow!!!!
Yippee!

Pages: 1 11 replies