Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Olympics

Pages: 1 3 replies

I love watching the Parade of Nations. The look of pure joy on the athletes’ faces. And so very cool, that this time, they entered in order of the Greek Alphabet and spelled in Greek, so Zimbabwe didn’t have to wait all night for their entry into the arena! Love the native dress, the bold colors (Brazil's lime green blazers!). wow, there's new countries ive never heard of.

drat, missed Tonga and Fiji

my favorites:
**the Greek women who hold the sign of each country ~ those skirts make them look like human bowing pins!
**British Virgin Island’s sole athlete carrying his flag.. and Vanuatu with 2 athletes
**Samoans in lavalavas
**Yao Ming carrying the Chinese Flag so high, he is 7’5” after all!
**Cook Island’s jubilant flag bearer
**Micronesia & Samoa ~ in Aloha Shirts
**Romania ~ the women’s purses ~ were like olympic flames!!

Fashion Faux Pas: ~
See-through women's swimsuits for Britian (but they fixed that.. bummer)
Germany’s odd brown suits
USA’s berets (and all the corporate sponsors emblazoned on the clothes)
Russia’s bland uniforms, they look like flight attendants.
what the hell was Bjork wearing?

let the games begin!

On 2004-08-14 00:12, dogbytes wrote:
what the hell was Bjork wearing?

I think she was wearing a traditional folk dress, kinda like the Islandic version of a burka. Whatever it was it had enough loose material to envelop the whole infield of the Olympic stadium. For awhile there I was afeared if they pulled on that thing anymore she was gonna wind up standin' there in her birthday suit! Ever since that Janet Jackson thing at the the Superbowl, I always make the kids leave the room when a female singer takes the stage at a sportin' event.

I love watching the games. Here is a picture of a sign I made for my neighbor. Thats me on the right. Her brother is competing in his 3rd games.

And Kiribati have seven strong delegation at the olympics, anybody spot them wearing their grass skirts and woven hair belts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/3913265.stm

Pages: 1 3 replies