Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Kon Tiki in a bottle (some assembly required)

Pages: 1 8 replies

"Some assembly required", ha! I had a hard enough time to build the Kon-Tiki balsa wood model for my Tiki altar. Just looking at these plans makes me unnerved.

I think I like my bottle ships already assembled. The souvenir shops here around the port of Hamburg are full of them (and all the other sailor's bar paraphenalia like glassfloats, puffer fish, sea shells), ranging from a few bucks into the hundreds. My favourite is one with the sinking Titanic in it. I have yet to come across one with the Kon-Tiki. In Hilo I found an (Phillipine imported) bottle with an outrigger, natives, and a native hut on stilts in it. Now how to get the Tiki into it....

I found a Kon-Tiki balsa wood model(in box)at an antique shop for $68 CAD($57 US), but I didn't buy it.

I'd already purchased a fish float cognac bottle and couldn't decided weather I'd put it together or not.

Would someone here like it? Or do you think I'd make some Hukilau trip money if I sold it online? Seems kind of expensive, but that's what Antique stores are.

The dealer had it and the decanter sitting in his rumpus room since the 60s.

Just found one on this page that's selling for $199(or at least attmpting to be sold)

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-09-27 11:21 ]

That IS expensive...because it's from a company that specializes in "historically accurate" models. It certainly will have much more detail than my cheapo kids' kit, which you can see on my ol' website:

http://www.bookoftiki.com/012.html

(I added the figures myself...)

Cool, love the figures you added.
I think that's the same kit the antique shop has for $68 - the kid's version.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 3:55 PM

Funny, if its supposed to be a historical model, I cant remember the raft being in a giant bottle. Not very accurate!

FA

Item removed. Wonder why? Does any know?

B

Fez...removed cause it was posted in august of 2004

Heheh. I love posting to old eBay threads. It's funny cuz this always happens.

Pages: 1 8 replies