Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tabu Tiki Nights II - Trader Vics Chicago - this Wed, August 18

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

Aloha!

Folowing up a long weekend of Tikiness for International Tiki Day, here's a reminder about the next Tabu Tiki Nights at Trader Vic's, this Wednesday, August 18:

Tabu Tiki Nights II at Trader Vic's, Chicago!

In celebration of the 70th anniversary of Trader Vic's and the 60th anniversary of the invention of Trader Vic's signature drink - the Mai Tai - Trader Vic's and Tiki Road Trip author James Teitelbaum have teamed up to bring you a monthly celebration featuring exotic drinks, Polynesian performance, sumptuous delicacies and mysterious music!

This month:

Hula dancers from Barefoot Hawaiian.

Lei making by Gwen from Barefoot Hawaiian.

Free door prizes courtesy of Surrey Books: new books from the artist Shag!

Pop art Tiki prints on display from Chicago artist Esqui.

JT's Kon-Tiki Sound System (spinning vintage Exotica and Hawaiian music).

Tiki carvers from Tikizone and Lake Tiki.

Ukulele sing-along with uke players from the Old Town School of Folk Music.

1/2 price Zombies.

Free appetisers.

The legendary Singapore Symphony drink: served in a pineapple shell and only be available at the monthly Tabu Tiki event.

Tabu Tiki Nights will be held the third Wednesday of every month (the further dates planned are: September 15, October 20, November 17).

The island madness begins at 7:00 and lasts until 11:00.

No cover!

It's never too late for Tiki carvers, artisans, and entertainers to arrange to bring their work for display (contact James): [email protected]

Updated live entertainment schedules and further information can be found on Trader Vic's web site
http://tradervics.com/rest-chicago.html
and the venerable Tiki Bar Review Pages site
http://www.tydirium.net

Trader Vic's is located in the lower level of the Palmer House Hilton at 17 E. Monroe, Chicago, IL, 60603. (312) 917-7317

Great shows, great music, strong drinks, and the Trader Vic's atmosphere, what more could you want. I was thinking that I should stop after my second zombie, but ended up leaving after my fifth!

It was awesome, and I'm looking forward to next month.

Thanks!

T

Good to hear that it did well for those that went and put it on. How did the artists do did they sell some things?

Had a blast at Trader Vic's! Thanks JT for putting this together and I have to say we had an awesome time. We even sold stuff! The music was excellent, drinks were strong and flavorful, great people and atmosphere. Looking forward to next month!

It was our first time to Trader Vics and the Tabu Tiki night event and I must say it was great. I am so glad this even was put together. It was so much fun to mingle with other people who enjoy good music, drinks, and an all around a good time.

E
EsQui posted on Thu, Aug 19, 2004 5:52 PM

Recipe for a Smiling EsQui:

5 hours of exotic lounge music
4 Zombies with mint
1/2 Singapore sling in full pineapple
1 hula girl shaking butt in grass skirt
8 ukulele players
6 Art print sales

Combine all ingredients, add fried rice, and let sit until smile forms.

Thanks James for putting this event together, and for the invite. Judging by the crowd that turned out this should last awhile.

Esqui.
http://www.waitingchairgaller.com

Agree with everyone... Mahalo James...
Last night was fun, even better than the first and I am looking forward to September... it will be a nice party to send us off to Hukilau!

Great hanging out with the crew in Chicago... and special thanks again to Sally and Jay for helping support this nasty habit of carving wood that I have :wink:

We love out new Tiki - Thanks Lake Surfer. We'll support you carving habit anytime.

Aloha everyone.

Glad you all had fun, but the real mahalos and maururus go to: David and Lori for their spectacular hula entertainment, Gwen for her amazing leis, EsQui and LakeSurfer for putting their creative endeavours on display (and good for them for making a few bucks!), the Old Town School ukulele all-stars for their great sing-along, Surrey Books for providing the free Shag stuff to give away, and most of all...

AJ, the new General Manager of Trader Vic's in Chicago.

It was he who came to me, asking me to help him put this event together.

He is a really nice guy, and his overwhelmingly enthusiastic and positive attitude towards the Tiki crowd is so amazing to me, after years and years of TV's Chicago management giving us the cold shoulder.

He has said some things to me that have boggled my little mind (in a GOOD way), such as telling me, several times, that he specifically DOESN'T want the suits and corporate types showing up at Tabu Tiki Nights; he wants it to be a special night that belongs to the Polynesian Pop crowd.

So, given that, I hope to see you all on September 15, for Tabu Tiki Nights III. Local midwest surf favorites the Cocktail Preachers will be performing a special 'unplugged' exotic-surf set, and the Singapore Symphony drinks will be there to ease you into a state of island bliss...

And now: pix!

![](http://www.tikibars.net/tabutiki/TTNI KarinaChrissy0407.jpg)

E
EsQui posted on Fri, Aug 20, 2004 5:43 PM

Damn, was my face really that red all night? Those drinks went down too easy!

EsQui.

Aloha, All! Likewise on a great time had by me and the missus! I was surprised how standing room only this event was! Good vibes all around...Great to see JT being JT, awesome meeting EsQui, Lisette, and Lakesurfer...We'll definitely aim for the next gathering in Sept.! Mahalo, Grey

Pages: 1 10 replies