Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Favorite Cocktails at Tiki-Ti

Pages: 1 34 replies

While celebrating International Tiki Day on Friday at Tiki-Ti, I was lamenting that I can not remember all of the drink choices there.

I was hoping for some reviews of the Tiki-Ti Cocktails.

For example, the new cocktail I tried, Tiki Gold, had color true to its name. It had a sweet and sour flavor, but also had a bitter finish.

TM

Singapore Sling for me please.....

Speaking of Tiki Ti I am heading to LA area next week - Aug 26th and anm wondering 2 things - 1. Will Tiki Ti be open? I could not open a calendar for August. And 2 with so many choices whats the way to go for a good not TOO sweet Rum drink light and dark are good too many fruity flavors makes - well too sweet.
any help would be great thanks! - Also for others who will be with me do they serve Whiskey and or beer? - I have never been - obviously. Is the area OK? I know to bring cash and a good attitude but thats it!

SneakyJack:

Tiki-Ti should be open, but you may wish to check their site: http://tiki-ti.com/Tiki-Ti.html

As for beer, I never thought of having such there, and I would not advise it, even if it is available. You would only be cheating yourself.

As for the not too sweet Tiki Ti concoction, there a numerous choices (probably too many!)

H

Great thread, christiki!

It's worth noting that there are some small differences between the older Mike & the younger Mike. The Ray's Mistake is a great example: Mike the Elder uses the original recipe, which uses rum & gin, while Mike the Younger makes it with just rum (although you can order it either way from either one).

My favorites:

-Ray's Mistake (elder Mike)
-Princess Pupuli, a tart, dark green monstrosity (elder Mike)
-Missionary's Downfall (younger Mike)
-Dr. Funk, for black licorice lovers only, they'll warn you (either)
-Bloody Tiki (either)

I personally don't like the really sweet drinks, so I generally pass on the Chi Chis and Bayanihans that are pretty popular (although they're still great & I don't mind them when sharing with someone).

I've still only barely dented the menu... if you happen to be there when either WeirdUncleTiki or Jeff Berry are there, they are a great resource. The Mikes are well seasoned at asking questions to lead you to a drink you'll like. If you feel like giving up on picking one, there's a wheel you can spin to select a drink for you, ask the younger Mike for it.

sneakyjack: Call ahead to be completely safe re: whether they'll be open. I don't think I've ever seen them make a drink that wasn't on the menu... it's possible they don't do stuff like gin & tonics even though they've got the ingredients & the knowhow. Again, you may want to ask when you call. I've brought plenty of whiskey drinkin' (Knoxville) coworkers, and every single one of them has been really happy with their "frou frou" drink. It's a great opportunity to educate. I'm pretty positive they don't even have beer. The neighborhood is fine, and parking is never a problem. Just park in the Circuit City lot across the street, and sprint across Sunset when the traffic is clear (this isn't as bad as it sounds). There are some great little restaurants in the area, El Chavo right next door is a favorite, and we hit Fred 62 pretty regularly.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-08-17 19:38 ]

K

universe's best chi chi...do not miss out!

two words.....rays mistake.....dont leave there until you've had at least one

DZ

On 2004-08-17 21:44, hala bullhiki wrote:
two words.....rays mistake.....dont leave there until you've had at least one

I didn't think you were allowed to leave there until you'd had at least one! :wink:

Ray's Mistake is my fave as well - if I start off with it, I don't usually drink anything else that night...

P

According to Tiki-Ti's website (www.tiki-ti.com) they are open all summer for the usual hours and extended hours friday and saturday.

Ray's Mistake is a must. A wonderful drink, but a little sweet. Anting Anting is a tarter version of the same drink (it was the drink that Ray was making when he made his fortuitous "mistake" and a legend was born). It tastes like the same drink with one ingredient difference. The Suffering "B" and Mai Tai are also good for less sweet drinks, but generally all that I have tried have at least a little sweetness to them.

Black licorice? I LOVE black licorice! Dr. Funk is on my list for my next visit.

Tiki-Ti does not serve beer. Don't even ask. They will mix drinks that are not on the menu, such as a Mojito. They'll mix a whiskey drink if they have it behind the bar. But tell your guests to get into the spirit and try one of the magnificent tiki-ti cocktails. Otherwise they'll miss out on something special.

On 2004-08-17 19:24, Humuhumu wrote:
... if you happen to be there when either WeirdUncleTiki or Jeff Berry are there, they are a great resource.

I am happy to be of assistance. Ask for me by name! For a drier drink, try a Black Widow. They float sumthin' special on top! Also, as PiPhiRho mentioned, Sufferin' "B" is on the dry side. More advice when I see y'all there!

-Weird Unc

Ray's Mistake is my favorite as well, and i think there 1/2 price on Wednesdays.

Thanks for all the help.
Parking good to know (Circit City)
I saw the beer thing (just askin)
Calendar wise the August did open after a couple of reloads.
as far drinks I guess I'm havin what she had - or a Rays.
whisky lovers will be happy they can smoke in there and drink what I tell them to drink!

Should be there this thursday and / or friday eve - I'll say Hey to Mike for everyone.

thanks again - Jack - oh yeah I'll be the guy from NYC that doesn't look like he's from NYC.
Look for the Green Tiki stickers with Creationz on em'
[ Edited by: sneakyjack on 2004-08-18 20:08 ]

[ Edited by: sneakyjack on 2004-08-18 20:11 ]

The Blood and Sand, of course. The Ooga Booga is a close second.

ok so I was off a week I'll be up in that place weds aug 25! thru 27th. Stupid Shag calendar and rum concations get you everytime.
Anyway hope to say hey to some one (TC OR NOT)there - Thanks again!

TMF

Have you tried the Mohito? They make it with sparkling grapes a very nice twist to my old fav. Of course I make mine with Bacardi O for my own twist.

I was introduced to a few new favorites last week:

• Space Pilot
  • Tiki-Ti Special
    (both of these are on the dry side)
  • 151 Swizzle -- just like the apple pie your Mom used to make, if your Mom was an alcoholic. Yummy!

I'm going to be rotating through these ones (and the old standby, Ray's Mistake) for a while.

Speaking of drinks not on the menu, I saw Ray (elder) make himself and the guy watching the door a bloody mary. I'm not into Bloody Marys but looked like he used the traditional recipe (with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, celery garnish) and made everything from scrach. Looked pretty good.

I have been jonsin' for an Uga Booga for weeks, but another mighty fine drink is a Sharks Tooth.
I just might make it down there this Saturday, but my drinking buddy is stuck down the hall in ICU. Hopefully he will get out of the hospital later today and well enough to poison his liver on Saturday.

-T.J.

On 2004-08-25 13:58, paranoid123 wrote:
Speaking of drinks not on the menu, I saw Ray (elder) make himself and the guy watching the door a bloody mary. I'm not into Bloody Marys but looked like he used the traditional recipe (with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, celery garnish) and made everything from scrach. Looked pretty good.

Yes, that would be the Bloody Tiki. A fine rendition of a Bloody Mary. If you've got the sniffles, this'll clear you up as Tiki Ti serves it HOT and with a side salad as garnish. Not only will you get the traditional celery stalk, but if you order NOW, they'll throw in an olive, a cocktail onion and a radish absolutely FREE! Send $9 cash to 4427 Sunset Blvd. Smooth operators are standing by!

Keep posting your favorite drinks, but tell us WHY you like 'em. With so many drinks on the menu it's fun and educational to read what makes each particular drink yummy to you. Mahalo!

-Weird Unc

I tried a Princess Pupuli on Humuhumu's advice this past Wednesday - it's definitely in my rotation from now on, along with the (natch) Ray's Mistake. Not too sweet, great color, and being a vodka drink it's slightly snappier - makes a nice change from rum once in a while.

M

On 2004-08-27 10:09, weirduncletiki wrote:

Smooth operators are standing by!

-Weird Unc

Sade works at the Tiki-Ti?! That's rad!

Thanks to all that were there this past Weds. - Aug 25th.
Yep I made it back to NYC.

See other new post for more LOVE>

Thanks again

T
thejab posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2004 6:51 PM

My favorites of the 15 or so I've tried are the

Pain Killer - a bit coconuty but less sweet than a Pina Colada, made with Pusser's rum, good and strong

Pearl Diver - juicy, rummy, yummy - hell, I can't remember why I liked it

151 Swizzle - spicy and strong

Space Pilot - complex and fruity

Missionary's Downfall - I forget, just try it

J

I just got back from my quarterly visit to Tiki-Ti so I thought I'd resurrect this thread (after 5 years !!).

Here's my list……

Drinks that I really like.

1. Uga Booga - I consider this their signature drink over Ray's Mistake. It's a strong drink (and it better be at $18 !!). Why doesn't everyone chant UGA BOOGA, UGA BOOGA in unison? I'm annoyed that they don't.

2. Space Pilot / Zombie - Very similar. I need to drink these back to back to figure out what the exact subtleties are. In either case, I enjoy them both.

3. Tropical Itch - What's in this thing? It's supposed to be more than rum.

4. Dr. Funk - I love this even though both Mikes try to talk me out of it. Taste-wise, I think it's the most distinctive drink on the menu. It's cool when a friend orders it for the first time (based on the name). They don't like it, so I get to drink it. I hate the long triangular glass (flute?) that they serve it in.

5. Great White Shark - Another strong and expensive drink. If you want to be annoying, insist on ordering a "Great White Shark's Tooth".

6. Navy Grog - I like that it's a stiffer Navy Grog (as all Tiki-Ti drinks are) than Trader Vic's and DTBC, but unfortunately it doesn't have that medicinal aftertaste that I like so much.

7. Skull & Bones / Rum Barrel - I really don't remember what these drinks tasted like but I did make a mental note to order them in the future. Really the best way to compare these things is to go in with 5 friends and have everyone order a different drink. You can then pass the drinks around and make your own comparisons.

Drinks that I probably wouldn't order again.

1. Fog Cutter - This is one drink that after the first sip I knew I didn't like it. I really wanted to given it's such a 1960's classic.

2. Princess Pupuli - I got this when I asked for a tart drink rather than a sweet drink. It was too tart for my tastes though. It looks pretty funky. Everyone asked "what is that?".

3. Lemon Head - Well, it's really a Lemon Drop (which I consider a "chick drink") on steroids. Hmm… I guess you could argue the entire drink menu is "chick drinks" on steroids. :)

4. Suffering Bastard - The Suffering Bastard at Forbidden Island spoiled me. I want this to be made with bourbon and gin like in the original recipe. This one is made with rum.

5. Ray's Mistake - Yeah I know but it just doesn't do it for me.

6. Tiki on Acid - I asked Mike Sr. what the least often ordered drink was. He suggested this one. It has Jager in it. I didn't like it.

7. Tiki-Ti has the greatest tropical drinks in the world, but there's something about their Mai Tai that's just a little off. Who's recipe it this?

Drinks that I've never had but are on my list.

1. Blood and Sand - I want to make everyone yell "Toro Toro" all on my account. Is this drink even any good?

2. "151" Rum Swizzle - I know it's really popular so I need to try it.

3. Rangoon Gimlet - I loves my gimlets.

4. Bloody Tiki - I loves my Bloody Marys.

5. Jim's Special - Only because every time I've chatted with Rasta Jim. He always recommends that I try it. I always say "Oh yeah, I'll have to try it next time".

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-18 09:39 ]

Everybody chanted ooga booga when I was there a few weeks ago. Maybe it was an off night?

J

Everyone chants UGA BOOGA but they do it based on their own timing.

See what I mean.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVr_jM3_j1E

I want everyone to chant it in UNISON like a mighty tribal war song.

UGA BOOGA, UGA BOOGA
UGA BOOGA, UGA BOOGA
UGA BOOGA, UGA BOOGA
UGA BOOGA, UGA BOOGA

:)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-18 09:26 ]

definitely the Space Pilot...just don't order it after you've been to two other (tiki) bars & had a few drinks first. makes re-entry a bit challenging

AF

JOHN-O,
Try a Lemon Hart-Lemon Head on your next trip. It adds a different dimension to the drink that just might help move it onto your "really like" list. Picking a favorite, the Zombie is at the top of my list.

J

What's a "Lemon Hart-Lemon Head"? Actually I do like the Lemon Head but I'm trying to be a purist and make my way through the rum-based tropicals before repeating the vodka drinks. BTW, I was at DTBC last night and mentioned Tiki Central to Kelly the bartender. She named-dropped several TC user names and I think A-Frame was one of them.

Also can anyone tell the difference between the Space Pilot and the Zombie? Next time I'm going to order them both at the same time and alternately sip my way through each.

A

On 2009-10-17 22:26, JOHN-O wrote:
2. Space Pilot / Zombie - Very similar. I need to drink these back to back to figure out what the exact subtleties are. In either case, I enjoy them both.

1. Tropical Itch - What's in this thing? It's supposed to be more than rum.

Assuming the Space Pilot is the same as the Jet Pilot (and I'm pretty sure it's close if not spot on) then it should have the same ingredients as the Zombie, with a little less rum.

Does the recipe for Tiki Ti's Tropical Itch differ greatly from the original Harry Yee recipe? If not, it should have bourbon as well as rum.

So I'm heading to Tiki Ti this Friday. I live down in Orange County and am going to make a night of it.

Is Circuit City still a safe bet for parking?

I read that parking is no longer free after 6 PM. So, if need be, I want to plan on bringing a lot of quarters...

The parking at Circuit City was never a safe bet.
and its closed now.
I would be very weary about parking there.
and I think that they uped the hours you have to feed the meters to 8 pm.
If I recall correctly.

Just go a tad early, and park around the back side of the block.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks, btd. After posting, it occurred to me that Circuit City went out of business years ago.

Also, after more thinking, I think we've decided to take the Metrolink for convenience and safety. The walk from the Metro station would only be a couple blocks.

A

My girlfriend and I made the walk from the Metro station when we went to Tiki Ti last. Very easy and simple.

It looks easy enough. I just wish the OC Metrolink had some later rides back to the OC. We'll have to catch the Pacific Surfliner instead...

Pages: 1 34 replies