Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's the drink in Trader Vic's seahorse mug

Pages: 1 13 replies

A
aku posted on Tue, Aug 17, 2004 3:57 PM

Does anyone know the name and/or recipe of the drink that used to be served at Trader Vic's in the seahorse mug? I know I've seen the drink/mug before, pictured on an old Trader Vic's drink menu, but don't know what was served.

This is my first post on this (or any other) message board. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aloha Aku,

Welcome aboard! (and classic name)

Unfortunately, I don't know, but the Samoan Fogcutter comes in the vase tiki mug which has a depiction from the drink menu cover.

P

If I am not mistaken, I think the drink that comes in the sea horse mug is in fact called a Sea Horse.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho on 2004-08-18 02:00 ]

I have one of those mugs!
I keep my toothbrush in it, in the bathroom, which is fish/tropical themed.

I wonder what was in the Sea Horse recipe?

J

Bump.

Martiki, do you happen to have the answer to this?

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 2:45 AM

Jen, thanks for the bump - my new seahorse mug should be christened in the appropriate fashion. Someone (SDT?) dug this one up earlier today - I don't know enough about mixology or Trader Vic's to know if it sounds right or not, but the guy who posted it is from Hawaii:

1 1/2 oz vodka
1/4 oz Pernod
1 oz apple juice
1 oz cranberry juice
1/4 lime, squeezed

Combine all in tall glass filled with cracked ice. Garnish with mint.

Submitted by Annonymous, Honolulu, Hawaii USA

P

Mystery solved...almost!

Tikicleen sent me a link to an old Trader Vic's Waikiki drink menu, which had a nice pic of the seahorse mug and a description, but it was too small to read. A quick search on TC brought this up (thanks Sabu!):
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/albums/album01/aji.jpg

It's big (1200 x 1600), so here's the relevant portion:

For the hard of seeing:

LIO O' KAI (Sea Horse)
Passion fruit nectar and lemon juice blended with a touch of coconut syrup smoothed with vodka and a dash of liqueur. Served in a beautiful ceramic mug which you can take home with you.
6.00 (without mug 4.00)

The only thing left to discover is what the liqueur was?

M

It's one of the drinks, like the Octopus, that was only served at the HI Trader Vic's, after it broke from the rest of the chain. I've never seen a recipe for the Sea Horse.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 7:55 PM

On 2006-10-18 17:53, martiki wrote:
It's one of the drinks, like the Octopus, that was only served at the HI Trader Vic's, after it broke from the rest of the chain. I've never seen a recipe for the Sea Horse.

You're an expert mixologist aren't you...any suggestions/ideas what the liqueur might be (going on what the other ingredients were)?

M

Cripes, it could be anything. HI didn't follow the rest of the chain's recipes. Might be apricot or peach brandy. Experiment until you find something you like.

T

Two bucks for that mug! I'll take 1000 please.

you may even try some passion fruit liqueur(alize).

Does anyone have any more info on the recipe for this drink?

A

Just a hunch, but I wonder if the liqueur was Pernod since only a "dash" is added.

Pages: 1 13 replies