Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Home Tiki Bar Ideas Wanted

Pages: 1 15 replies

W

We are in the process of planning a move. We have looked at a bunch of existing homes and are now leaning toward new construction. I am, of course, planning to put in a Tiki Bar. I know there are those out there who have converted rooms or spaces into Tiki bars, but, has anyone started from scratch? No drywall or ceiling, just bare cement floor and exposed ceiling joists. What I want input on is opinions and ideas as to where in the house (basement; outside-ish:sunroom/porch/cabana/gazebo (upper eastern shore of Maryland so not warm all year); or some other room), how big to make it (realistically, we are looking at probably a 5 bedroom house with full basement, hopefully with an outside entrance but that depends on the lot terrain)and what to incorporate into the space.
Right now, I envision it being in the basement with "Tiki"/poly-pop being sort of an overall theme to a large rec room / play room for the kids with one end/area containing the actual bar (lockable cabinet for the alcohol). I have a fairly large number of hanging ceiling trash items (floats , puffer fish, nets, lamps etc and although I do not really like drop ceilings, I have found them to work well for hanging things from and for running custom wiring for Tiki lighting. But, I figure on getting the basement un/partially finished so that if we want to go the whole 9 yards on a natural materials ceiling (and walls?) treatment, we can do it from scratch. The idea of a full on, we are inside an actual hut look would be cool even to the point of walling off the entrance end of the room to be the "outside" of the hut.
Here's what I have to work with so far: the ceiling clutter, several wall mounted items (sconces, torches converted to electric, carvings etc.), several table/shelf/other flat surface lights or display items(150% life size ceramic skull with light; Honululu restaurant table lantern; lava lamps etc.)lamps; mugs aplenty to shelve (no hard count lately but perhaps 100 or so regular size plus maybe 30 shot size and 5 or 6 volcano, kava etc bowls.
So tell me, starting from scratch, with an unfinished room, what would you do?

T

I think you should just hire Basement Kahuna or Tiki Diablo (see http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10324&forum=1&11 for the bar he did for seekingtiki that truly rocks) to come to your house and pay well and you will have a dream tiki bar to make your whole state drool, but one thing to consider how much are you going to do yourself or how much do you want someone to do for you. If you do some research through TC you can find some amazing pictures of people's homes, look and take note of what you really like and see if it will fit what you have. Good luck.

B

I did a "drop ceiling" with 1" bamboo poles (12' long) in a big grid (1' apart) and then put elephant grass above. Can still wire anything you want, and hang flotsam from anywhere, plus its a more organic feel than a "real" drop ceiling. Just a thought.

HT

What part of the country are you in? That might help us refer you to sources.

W

I am in Maryland; more specifically, the house will be in Easton. There are literally dozens of antique and collectible stores in that area selling nautical themed stuff, much of it authentic. But, very little if any "Tiki" stuff. I suppose that pretty much limits me to mail order for most of these things.
I have the Oceanic Arts catalog plus bamboo and thatch suppliers info from the web. I was surprised that O. Arts was not as expensive as I had feared; I am wondering how bad the shipping will be however. Since I first posted this, we have signed a contract on a house to be built starting next month. The Tiki zone will be in a lower level that in developer-speak is called an "English Basement". Basically it is an entire lower level of the house (2 more stories above) partially below grade but with full size windows set slightly higher in the walls.
At this point, we are havng them finish one end of this as a large bedroom (they call it "den" on the prints for code reasons) and bathroom suite separated from the main area by a door and hallway. The rest of this lower level will be an unfinished blank slate. I am thinking of trying to do an overall theme of Tiki / poly-pop family or rec room without making the whole thing scream BAR. The model home for this builder had a really cool dockside, fishermans' wharf themed bar on one end of the basement (the whole house had an over the top nautical theme anyway)with the rest of the basement furnished in rattan furniture etc Perhaps the non-bar area could be painted (or nice themed wall paper) above chair rail and matting/bamboo below. Then the bar area could be more overall matting and bamboo. I was and still am trying to work out in the design where and how to incorporate a wall and doorway into the bar area for the effect of entering a hut. Oceanic Arts has some really nice carved posts that I would like to use as bannister uprights for the stairs down to this level and carry the same carving style into uprights for the doorway/wall to the bar. The idea posted earlier by someone about making panels of thin plywood with matting glued to them and them attaching those to existing walls is one I will probably go with since having drywall and insulation underneath everything will make it much more livable and reconfigurable.
Anyway, here is a link to the floorplan of the basement I am working with; the bar area will be in the top center of the image:
http://www.arteryhomes.com//Images/Community/ACF316E.jpg

Any input is welcome. I am especially interested in the details of attaching natural tropical materials to existing conventional framing and drywall.
Thanks.

HT

I'd be more than happy to come down for a weekend to help. I live in Philly, used to live in DC. I've constructed quite a bit of tiki stuff, built 3 tiki bars, 2 regular bars. I've got a heap of suggestions and like I said, after the house is built, i'd be more than happy to help you build it. In the mean time, I'd be happy to work closely with you in the design proccess if you need help. I used to be an architect before I began my current forte into life. Aloha!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki on 2004-10-27 16:31 ]

From the looks of the floor plan, your bar will be near the bathroom plumbing. Maybe you already have made a decision to do this, but if I were you, I would make it a "wet bar"...

W

I may just have to take you up on that offer Hale Tiki.
As for the plumbing, Oh yes!
I noticed that too. I am putting in a CDR (change design request) for the plumbers to do a sink rough-in on that wall. The ostensible reason is that we will eventually put in a "kitchenette" for the lower level guest suite / in-law apt. (ulterior motive--Tiki Bar) I hope Mom likes a Bamboo Tiki Bar kitchen! There are Formica patterns in both rattan and bamboo.
http://www.formica.com/collection.jsp?collection_id=2&group_id=1
I am thinking this is the way to go for a blend of kitchen and bar. I figure that back wall can have a sink, dishwasher and under the counter fridge. The "kitchen island with stools" will then become the bar in front of it.

[ Edited by: WillTiki on 2004-10-28 09:09 ]

[ Edited by: WillTiki on 2004-10-28 09:11 ]

hey will, is it possible to in the future do a deck out of the window side of the basement?

i'm working with that idea for our future tiki bar basement, although it will require LOTTA excavation.

i like the idea of being able to go from the bar to the outside, with tiki torches blazing and grill grilling.

The perfect addition for any bar is push button cocktails...

http://www.supersidebar.com

[ Edited by: AlohaStation on 2004-10-28 12:39 ]

The Sidebar looks a great idea. Now if it did mixed drinks I'd actually consider it. Perhaps if there is ever a Sidebar Mach II it will be up to the task.

could you use 31/2" x10' bamboo poles? TD

Just a quick tip.

Start from the finished product and then go all the way backwards on paper, to sart.

If you do it the other way, you'll be hate'ing life later when you want to re-do things.

It's these little things that make it all work. Trust me.

W

Tiki David,
Do you have some bamboo poles you wish to part with? If so, I could be interested.

I have a few left from my last order ,just orderd 20 more plus 20 3"-31/2"x10'.they will not be in untill march/april.i get a pretty good deal when i buy in bulk. i do not know your location

I was just thinking.any ideas on what i should be paying for 31/2"-4" x10' bamboo poles in cleveland, ohio? just wondering if i am really getting a good deal thanks TD

Pages: 1 15 replies