Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki bar outside of Fenway Park?

Pages: 1 16 replies

DZ

A buddy of my was in Boston last week, and leaving a ball game, he spotted a tiki bar just across the street from Fenway Park. Knowing I'd be interested, he went in to get a matchbook or napkin or something, only to find it was just a sports bar: TVs, beer posters & neon, for the most part. However, he did say that there were four large carved tikis behind the bar area and it gave him the impression that it had been much more decorated in a previous life. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember the name. He thinks it was something simple like "The Tiki Room", but a quick check of TRT doesn't shed any light on it.

Anybody know?

On 2004-08-20 09:26, Doctor Z wrote:
A buddy of my was in Boston last week, and leaving a ball game, he spotted a tiki bar just across the street from Fenway Park.

Best. Ballpark. Ever. (yankees suck!)

I've heard that this bar exists, but I didn't see it when I went to a game at Fenway last season. Kowloon has a concession stand inside the park, however.

--cindy

GO BOSOX'S!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry man had to. They are only 8.5 back of the Spankees.

B

It is named The Tiki Room.
http://www.tikiroomboston.com
I came across it by accident while Google-ing.
http://www.phantomgourmet.com/review_right.asp?name=Tiki+Room&reviewid=3010

On 2004-08-20 09:26, Doctor Z wrote:
only to find it was just a sports bar: TVs, beer posters & neon, for the most part.

Bars sporting these accesories should be banned from calling themselves Tiki in any way !!
What a pity... their website and decor certainly looks "promising"... until you view pictures.

Gotta say I like their website, the menu looks fairly yummi, and the decor while lacking in the pictures at least makes an attempt, though it could use a ton more. I think though you need to look at it as whole, seems to be a sports bar with an identity crisis. And looking at the crowd in the pictures I think the place would be cleared out fairly quick before the first song by Martin Denny was over. Still I would like to visit it, try one of their drinks, watch the Sox beat the Spanks, in a mildly exotic decor.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:45 ]

M

To quote:

Daren Smith- General Manager, Tiki Room: “...we wanted to give everyone an escape. Somewhere where they can find out the true meaning of "irie" where everything is cool.”

irie? uh-oh.

“It's all the stuff that brings you back to that time you spent a couple weeks in the Caribbean or that trip to Jamaica."

Right- all those tikis in Jamaica.

Santiago Saenz- Bartender, Tiki Room: “This is our Mango Mai Tai made with Bacardi light rum, mango puree, mango rum, pineapple juice, and dark rum. And this is our Tiki Breeze made with coconut rum, spiced rum, we have a mango puree and orange juice. This is our Blue Hawaiian Scorpion Bowl made with coconut rum, raspberry, Bacardi, pineapple juice, Blue Curacao, and a little orange juice."

oh no.

Yes, just "a little orange juice". Nothing too tart to get in the way of all that sugar and artificial color! Seroiusly, how expensive are limes in Boston? I expect it's pretty bad.

In their defense, the food looks solid. Fried anything works everytime.

irie? uh-oh

hey...comeon...it's boston...it's an irish town. They do a pub right (and pour a great pint o' guinness just about everywhere - some of the finest I've had outside of Ireland - or Molly Malones), but they're still learning about the whole tiki thing. Let's cut 'em a little slack...and send in Bamboo Ben!

On 2004-08-20 09:53, cynfulcynner wrote:
Best. Ballpark. Ever. (yankees suck!)
--cindy

I agree with the sentiments. I used to pay $2 to sit in the bleachers there (well, my Dad paid) and it wasn't that long ago...

Can't really imagine a Tiki Bar around there. We wandered around the park at 10:00am a couple of years ago, to be met by silence and an unfortunate chap spilling out of a doorway, then blowing his breakfast over a wall near the 'Green Monster'.

Not the best crowd for a Tiki Bar. (Yankees Suck)
Trader Woody

On 2004-08-20 18:33, Polynesiac wrote:

irie? uh-oh

hey...comeon...it's boston...it's an irish town. They do a pub right (and pour a great pint o' guinness just about everywhere - some of the finest I've had outside of Ireland - or Molly Malones), but they're still learning about the whole tiki thing. Let's cut 'em a little slack...and send in Bamboo Ben!

Yo Doogie,

"Irie" as in " Jah Love, RASTAFARI!"

Arrrrrrrrrrr!!!

(damn kids these days get it all mixed up!)

The Tiki Room is exactly what you would think it is given its location. A sports bar and college crowd hang out. Gross crowd in my opinion.

And we do have the Kowloon....my personal local favorite!

C

On 2004-08-21 07:59, Tangaroa Ed wrote:
The Tiki Room is exactly what you would think it is given its location.

These are even more cruel words than Chongo could have written. No doubt the patrons in the photos -- who seem to have nothing in common with "tiki" than alcohol -- are celebrating their recent 1918 championship. Chongo finds them all quite pathetic.

T

SO far I am finding Chongo quite pathetic after only a number of posts he seems quite the ass.

F

When I see the smiling faces of those beer-gorged patrons, I just can't find it in me to think ill of them and their exploits. And heck who doesn't like "gettin' their TIKI on in that IRIE way!" Cool tapa cloth design on the walls by the way... BUT SERIOUSLY! What are these people thinking? This looks like a great place for the type of folks who go to a foriegn country and get mad 'cause nobody speaks English! Sorry, I get emotional about these things.

Tangaroa Ed! Tell us more about Kowloon! If they own 1 TIKIMUG they've got this place beat!

The Wahine says, "If I was Jamaican I would be offended... or if I was a Tiki I would be offended."

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-09-05 19:45 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2004 8:25 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:46 ]

F

TNTiki,

Respectively, I've never been to either The Tiki Room or the Kowloon and so have little basis in comparing the 2. What I know of these places comes from only from internet research. I simply identify with the average tiki enthusiast seeing this either as a possible "bait and switch" or just a poor attempt. Nonetheless, I'm sure Tiki Room does have more to offer than the average sportsbar.

If Jamaican culture is their aim, Tiki Room's management may wish to take note of clubs like Exodus II near Wrigley Field.

BTW: Do you have any pics or details of the mug?

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2004-09-07 16:57 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies