Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

les baxter moog album

Pages: 1 9 replies

anyone have any info on a moog album by les baxter that all classical music done the moog way.i saw it and was wondering if it is worth getting?

any help?
bbowling99

I have the holy trinity of moog albums - Les Baxter's, Martin Denny's, and Hugo Montenegro's. In my opinion the Les Baxter is the least interesting of the three. For collectors seeking completeness.

just to let people know les baxter's moog rock is avalible for download on Itunes for 7.99 usa

Hey..sorry for the potentially dumb question.....but what is moog?

Moog was a brand of keyboard in the 70s (or 60s?) that ushered in the electronic sound ... these days it's pegged as sort of a a genre of music or "sound" ...
when I think of moog I think no further than Perrey & Kingsley although Moog is so much more than that ...

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-08-21 22:22 ]

Thanks..that was uh....interesting...to listen to.

Whats the name of the Les Baxter Moog album?

Erich-
"Moog" is a brand of synthesizer.

You are probably lucky enough to not be traumatized by the memory of the album "Switched On Bach" by Walter (later turned Wendy!) Carlos, that featured only the Moog synthesizer.

The word "moog" is frequently used referring to electronic music. It is also used when someone with a mouth full of peanut butter is trying to warn you of a moose, so look out.:)

S

Wendy's album was only traumatic to die-hard classical listeners, it also ushered in every Rock Bands' use of synthesizers from then on. Which could be the true source of the trauma! She has quite an interesting web-site as well, for those interested.

T

A lot of us look back at "Switched on Bach" as being either painful, corny, quaint, or campy, but in reality it was probably one of the 5 most important recordings in electronic music, ever.

The Moogs used on the reoord were custom built for Carlos by Robert Moog himself, and were the pinnacle of electronic instrument design in their day.

The impact of "Switched on Bach", both in positve and negative ways, can't be understated.

On one hand, it brought electronic music to the masses in a meaningful way for the very first time, and also gave people who weren't normally classical fans a point of entry to the work of Bach - the father of modern harmony. The record is actually very well produced, impeccably performed, and astoundingly innovative.

On the other hand, it inspired countless imitators, and almost all of them were miserable.

I guess my Martin Denny Moog record has a special place in my heart... but my Star Wars themes Moog record (not the Meco disco record) is probably near the bottom of an already stinky and rank barrel.

...and of course, there were/are many, many, mnay records on which the Moog was used but which aren't "all-Moog" novelty records.

One word: Eno.

Fun, fun, fun of the Autobahn!

C

Oh, but I must disagree....If the party starts dragging, throw on the Star Wars moog record. People will dig It or they'll want to beat you.

Pages: 1 9 replies