Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lounge Music

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

T

On 2002-10-10 19:17, tikifish wrote:
Yeah, Corey Hart... he blew chunks!

And guys.

Does anyone think the dame on the "Miss You" cover looks a little like this gal?

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-06 13:39 ]

T

On 2003-08-06 13:38, Kailuageoff wrote:
Does anyone think the dame on the "Miss You" cover looks a little like this gal?

This looks like Tina Louise!

Damn it James, you're too good. I think they look the same too. Does Tina Louise count as a tiki subject? Hopefully, she does cause I just posted this under the assinine "tiki and religion" thread in the main forum.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-06 13:54 ]

T

Kailuegeoff,

I hope I spelled that correctly. I am in the process of reducing some of my record collection and have two that you might be interested in. (Sorry I have not set it up for me to post pictures but you can find them on Amazon and I do think you would like these).

The first is a Dave Brubeck - Red Hot and Cool shows a swanky red head in a red dress leaning over the piano smiling at the piano player jazz band blurred in the background. It even has the "High Fidelity Recording LP" logo on it.

The second is not from the 50/60's but was photographed that way. It is from an album called Dressed Up To Get Messed Up from Roomful of Blues. The female has a scour (late boyfriend) but has the stockings with the line up the back in a pink room. The only problem is that it is a promo and the corner is cut but should be covered up if framed. Also there is a record player.

Anyway if you are interested let me know. Oh yeah they are vinyl and not CDs.

Les Baxter is my favorite composer next to Mancini, and I covet his LPs. I recently found (finally) my "holy grail" SPACE ESCAPADES (not one of his best albums, but one of the coolest covers), but that JEWELS OF THE SEA is next on my list - chiefly because it looks like the cover girl is none other than one of my favorite models of all time, Diane Webber.

Tiki410:
Thanks for the offer of the albums, but I'm really specific in what I'm looking for -- it's got to have an actual Hi-Fi or at least Hi-Fi parts, or at least a turntable, plus a young lovely.
(BTW, ,my TC name is a combination of "Kailua" -- where I grew up on Oahu -- and my first name.)
AquaZombie: I'm with you on Les. I am continuously impressed when I listen to his lps. I think what makes his stuff so amazing is that he wrote and conducted this incredibly elaborate and hypnotic music for orchestras, not for five piece combos.
Don't get me wrong, I love Denny and Lyman too, but Baxter really has to get the credit as the true genius behind exotica. I haven't listened to Jewels in The Sea yet, 'cause I'm waiting for just the right moment to experience it. And, that doesn't happen for just any old easy listening lp.

T

On 2003-08-06 13:53, Kailuageoff wrote:
Does Tina Louise count as a tiki subject? Hopefully, she does cause I just posted this under the assinine "tiki and religion" thread in the main forum.

Seeing as how she played Ginger on Gilligan's Island, I think we can we can justify a pic of her somewhere on TC!

And AquaZombie: you may be interested to know that Diane Webber also used the pseudonym Marguerite Empey in the 1950's, and during that decade, under that name, was a Playboy centerfold not once, but twice. I guess Hef liked her too!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 1:28 PM

Another big Diane Webber fan here!

There's an episode of Peter Gunn where he goes to this beatnik's pad and Diane Webber and a couple other hotties are frolicking around enticingly. It's on DVD (and AquaZombie showed it at Thrillville some time ago).

Here's a nice shot of her w/tapa cloth:

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 2:26 PM

I forgot to mention that in the Peter Gunn episode the beatnik is a skin diver that Gunn wants to hire so his pad is filled with nautical bric a brac, the girls are all wearing hawaiian print swim suits, and they are drinking from coconuts! Peter Gunn remains cool and calm even being surrounded by the girls and their coconuts. What a crazy scene!

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2003 4:22 PM

Aqua: Forget Julie London, April Stevens is the bomb! She is my favorite torch lighter.

Another favorite that's not been mentioned is Henri Rene. White Heat.

These and more are on the Swank Pad broadcast. Click below...

I am working on a monthly or biweekly lounge DJ night here in Knoxville. I just can't decide if want the hassle. I will do it once and see how it goes I guess. Everyone may hate it!

T

Purely by coincidence I was browsing in a CD store to kill some time on the way to a gig, and I found these three CDs yesterday, all of which relate to this thread:

A Tina Louse disc, 12 tunes, great pic on the cover.

A weird Arthur Lyman CD full of covers of Beatles tunes and stuff like Hang on Sloopy, other 60's pop hits!

A three-disc Jackie Gleason Orchestra greatest hits. 12 songs per disc.

I should have bought them all, they were all cheap (used), but I am broke right now.

I have a two-disc Gleason set by Ultra-Lounge that is wonderful. I'm amazed there is a Tina CD out there. I wonder if she sings "I wanna be loved by you" on it? That's the only song I remember her singing on Gilligan's Island. What a hottie!

Yes, I have that Gleason collection, it is outstanding. It's another off-shoot of the Ultra Lounge series along with the double discs of Les Baxter and Martin Denny. All are definitive compilations and all have extremely cool covers (the Gleason one duplicates the Dali-esque artwork of several of his LPs.)

Speaking of Dianne Webber, as I often do - has anyone out there ever seen her early '60s flick "Mermaids of Tiburon"? I picked up a lobby card for this when I was in Hawaii on my honeymoon at that little retro clothes shop in Honolulu (many of you know it, everyone I talk to who's been to Waikiki frequents this place). Anyway, this looks pretty "tiki" and I have a mermaid fetish anyway, if anyone has ever seen it, please report on its availability/watchability.

In addition to that Peter Gunn episode I also have a copy of an episode of one of my favorite TV shows, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" on video in which Dianne plays - a mermaid! I have lots of vintage men's mags that feature Dianne as well. She is just so...earthy, I guess is the word. And those eyes...she kind of reminds of a little of one of favorite Russ Meyer women (and now my good pal, since she appeared in Thrillville last Feb), Raven de la Croix ("Up!"). Gotta love those foxy, voluptuous brunettes (I married one!) though of course redheads (like Tina Louise, whom my Pop dated briefly back in the day!!) are equally saucy and who doesn't prefer blondes? Yes, or course, we love 'em all. When it comes to beauty, we're color blind.

Oh yea, there's a DVD out from Something Weird double billing an obscure documentary on Anton Levey along with a Ray Dennis Steckler nudie satanic flick called "Sinthia the Devil's Doll" which features Dianne Webber in the flesh...(Ray is returning to Thrillville with Carolyn Brandt this time on August 28, by the way - he sells copies of all his movies on video,including this one, for $5 a pop).

Oh, and I can never forget Julie London, but I dig April too, natch ("Teach Me Tiger" always give me that tingling sensation all over...she also does a very nice version of my former theme song, "You're My Thrill" I used before the Moon-Rays graciously gave me an original song just for the show.) I also have Tina's LP on CD, it's great cooing cocktail music.

Speaking of Julie, you can now check out her film debut (at sweet 19) opposite Buster Crabbe in 1944's NABANGA, on DVd super cheap from Alpha Video (www.oldies.com) I've been telling Mig he needs to start his gorilla movie collection soon, starting with this one...sorry if I strayed too far off topic ("Lounge Music") though a discussion of the cover girls isn't too extraneous for this subject matter, I guess.

Dusting off another vintage thread here. Can TC be vinatge now that it is more than five years old? Sorry some of the old photos in these posts are gone. I'm listening to Gleason's Music, Martinis and Memories tonight. Sweet stuff...

H

Great thread, as I read the entire thing I realized I have acquired a huge amount if CD's the last 5-7 years. I currently am enjoying listening to Nancy Wilson, Doris Day, Milt Jackson and recently I bought this CD,( it is new) but not bad at all called White Martini. Jackie Gleason has been on my list for a while but I always see something I like better. If you like buying CDs and live in the L.A. area try the Pasadena City College swap meet, first Sunday of the month. They have a whole section just for vinyl and CDs, and the prices are real fair. If you like vinyl, they have a great selelction there.

Pages: 1 2 63 replies