Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

What's a good bar height?

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Obnviously everyone will have different answers, but what are the heights of people's home bars? Either vintage bars or homemade Chiki/Ben/etc. bars? Just looking for a general survey. Do you make it different depending on whether or not you use stools?

Thanks all.

Since I sell furniture, I can tell you that barstools are generally made in two standard heights...24" & 30". The rule of thumb is that there should be about 12" between the seat of the barstool and the countertop/bartop. For most bars, the standard height would be within an inch or two (+/-) of 42". Hope this helps.

My bar height: 42 1/2 "

Stool height: 30"

(the "chair" kind of stool, not the other kind)

K
Kono posted on Sun, Aug 22, 2004 6:53 PM

Mine stands at 39 1/2 inches. My bar that is.

Our (vintage) stools are 30", the (ditto) bar is 40+, except 42" on the edge where it's padded...

Tim saw this post and trotted to another room to pick up his copy of "Successful Beverage Management" book. I don't know whether I'm more concerned that he owns it at all, or that it was on his nightstand as light reading material! So herewith - more information that you ever wanted to know about standard bar measurements:

• Width of back bar - 24"
  • Width of liquor display shelves - 12-16"
  • Height of back bar - 42"
  • Distance between edge of speed rack and bar rail - 14"
  • Height of underbar - 30"
  • Width of underbar - 18"
  • Width of underwar including speed rack - 23-24"
  • Distance from underbar to bar top - 12"
  • Width of bar top - 24"
  • Width of speed rack - 5-6"
  • Distance between bar rail and front edge of underbar - 7-8"
  • Height of bar top - 42"
  • Distance between outside edge of bar top and speed rack - 37"
  • Height of bar die - 40"
  • Distance between bar die and back of underbar equipment - 3"
  • Distance from back wall to outer edge of bar top - 91"

A lot of things say width when I would have said depth, but that's just the tech writer in me talking. :roll: I have no idea what a "bar die" is, though.

[ Edited by: LAWebChick on 2004-08-22 21:31 ]

This is Unga's bar height

H

I built my bar according to the American Instutute of Architects Graphic Standards- 3'6" - 3'9" is the range given.

41 1/2" Professor.
Mahalo,
Al

I build them anywhere between 39 and 42 inches tall. This depends on how tall the bartenders/clients are. Maaaa tin

No more than 9.5 inches from the ground.... it's much safer that way. If you are already on the ground, you have very little chance of injuring yourself falling.

-T.J.

All the way to the ground... I'm 6'+, so I like a taller bar, 40".

TM

About 42" is a good height. Standard 30" barstools will work fine with a bar at that height.

M

Thanks all for the help.

Construction has commenced on the Novato Grotto! And what a perfect fucking 93 degree day to start sawing! Ugh.

On 2004-08-27 17:42, martiki wrote:
Thanks all for the help.

Construction has commenced on the Novato Grotto! And what a perfect fucking 93 degree day to start sawing! Ugh.

He said Fucking!! (name calling on the weather!!)

Pages: 1 13 replies