Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki History - Tropical Serenade (WDW)

Pages: 1 6 replies

I picked up this print off of eBay a few months ago. It is a front elevation concept rendering of the Grand Ceremonial House in Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom. In this print, the building houses the Tropical Serenade show (tiki room) and the Sunshine Tree Terrace restaurant. There is a very strong African architectral influence, in the building, but it still looks great. I assume that the seller I bought it from scanned in the original work and just prints out high quality copies on photo paper. I've seen this same auction from the same seller several times.

Closeups

Breathtaking! The tower on the left resembles a Balinese temple.

HL

Many of the design elements are taken from Papua New Guinea's Sepik region architecture and design. The painting on the front with the fish is typical of Men's Houses in the area.

My understanding is that Disney designer Marc Davis was a collector of the style and had traveled there personally. The Tiki Room is a mash-up in the grand style of Adventureland, where influences from many lands are combined to make something that looks 'exotic' to the western eye.

On 2004-08-24 00:21, Hot Lava wrote:
Many of the design elements are taken from Papua New Guinea's Sepik region architecture and design. The painting on the front with the fish is typical of Men's Houses in the area.

Are any such buildings still standing in Papua New Guinea?

H

For reference, here's some photos of these buildings at WDW that I took on a recent trip to Orlando:

Orlando's Enchanted Tiki Room in Critiki

Beautiful, Thanks for sharing, Humuhumu.

It is good to know that WDW has a living tiki museum.

Is there also a polynesian inspired hotel?

On 2004-08-26 17:45, christiki295 wrote:

Is there also a polynesian inspired hotel?

http://www.res99.com/hotel/10003931-10065535O.html?ses=d5805123db98cfbd0037dcba1bd0615331234av

(next time, maybe I'll do the most minute search before asking.)

Pages: 1 6 replies