Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

A new ceiling makes all the difference in the world...

Pages: 1 22 replies

Before...

After...

S

John,

I'm floored, errrrr ceiling-ed! (And showing Mike the pictures- explaining once and for all, in no uncertain terms, why white ceilings must be done away with.)

Lookin' darn good! Major task there, excellent work!

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Totally awesome!!! I got the herringbone mat and bamboo for the Cannibal Lounge, and now I can't wait to see how it's going to look!

How did you attach the mats to the ceiling? I was thinking of using glue but am open to suggestions, since I never did a ceiling before.

Cheers!

J

Cybertiki - to put it simply, this was one hell of an undertaking! I posted my woes of installation in Creating Tiki...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9346&forum=7&7

Thanks for the compliments!

S

John,
You are 100% right. Why? Besides it just looks cool, it:

1. Gets rid of the white ceiling that makes the room much bright and makes the tiki bar lighting scheme "work". Covered ceiling = darker.
  2. Makes the room cohesive. You get the real emmersive effect we all crave. What about the floor? Well, now that the place is darker, and you have the light up high, the floor "goes away" more.
  3. Smells good! This much of the right stuff up there near warmer areas will give off the right smell. Makes for a more emmersive experience.
  4. Now all that stuff you wanna hang will look damn good!

Covering the ceiling is a biggy. Changes everything. Good job. You are now seriously over the edge like the rest of us with these awesome, yet obsessive rooms. But you know, no one has every thought the tiki room odd, just great.

T

Congrats John. The effort really looks like it paid off.

D

I thought your before looked good, but now ~ I can't believe what a huge difference the ceiling makes! So how many mats did you end up using,just 4? Super job!

Just amazing in the difference.
Another beautiful room, John. Great work.

That ceiling treatment sure does it's job! Now for the next project: How about a mural of the islands on the wall on the right, it already has the right ocean green/blue base color!

B

You are Right, What a Difference the ceiling makes! Before it looked great but still like a home bar. Now it looks kike you just came in from the beach and are ordering up your Mai-tais, still dripping from that splash in the cool ocean and with sand on your feet. The ceiling was the finishing touch.

MAN, johntiki, I haven't even seen it in person, and I'm already enjoying it! I can't believe what a HUGE difference the ceiling makes! I think Swanky worded it well - that intimacy factor.

If you ever doubted that it was worth the effort, let me just say a hearty "YES!!" (It's starting to look like the great homebars, e.g. the Lagoon Room, the Kontiki Paradise Room, etc., are having some more competition...)

Congrats!
F

johntiki, ceiling looks great . 1 too many mai tais I wouldn't know up from down . I could floored looking uo thinking I'm stillup right ..... fantastic

H

fabulous

That's the stuff, Good Job!!!
Mahalo,
Al

WOW! Ceiling looks great, I can't wait to get in my own place so I can have a room that goes over the edge.

Great looking room, the ceiling really does add alot. Nothing like awesome pics to get u motivated to work on your own place.

vw

I am loving the ceiling and your whole room!! I am currently working on my lounge area. I have alot of Tiki's and shag prints and old guitars on my bright green walls. We even have a lava rock fireplace. I want to our high A-Frame cieling with the thatching that you used on your cieling. I am also planning to do the borders around room with Bamboo.
I have one question: Is bamboo easy to work with? Did you have a problem with it spliting?
I Really like the asthetic you created!!!
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-08-24 14:23 ]

J

By reading all these positive comments it seems that my hard work paid off! Thanks everyone!

Spermy, didn't have a problem at all with the bamboo. I had the stuff split by the supplier and it made things super easy! I made sure to drill pilot holes in the bamboo and made sure not to over tighten when screwing the pieces up. Also, the 5" diameter bamboo is surprisingly thick - I think I would have to use a pneumatic air wrench to break the stuff.

Thanks Johntiki!! Tomorrow I'm on my way to Oceanic Art's to get my Bamboo!!

OK, "Spermy"!

If your 'name' wasn't killing me already, the nickname certainly is!! The image (and voice) I keep hearing is Lily Munster. Why? Her pet name for her husband Herman was "Hermie." Perhaps your nickname was the one she used in private.....

(Good luck with your bamboo project, btw)

That's funny now you are making me laugh!!!
Thanx,
Spermy

It was a great tiki bar to begin with, but the ceiling makes it so much better. I would pay a cover charge to drink there- Nice work!

Pages: 1 22 replies