Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What's a 'Nectar'?

Pages: 1 10 replies

I'm working my way through the Grog Log and Intoxica and I've reached the point where I need to get some fruit nectars. What are they and how are they different from juice or syrups?

Cheers

TM

My experiance is that nectar is much thicker than juice, how it is produced, I don't know.

Merriam Webster says:
'nek-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek nektar
1 a : the drink of the Greek and Roman gods b : something delicious to drink c : a beverage of fruit juice and pulp
2 : a sweet liquid that is secreted by the nectaries of a plant and is the chief raw material of honey

I found this site:
http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-beverages-juice-and-nectars.html

Thanks Tiki Matt. I'll have to get searching in the UK.

Although it'll probably be twice the price of the stuff in the USA.

Mahalo

i've had some of the 'jumex' drinks shown on that website ~ (i had a mexican housemate once) ~ the liquids are quite thick, probably including fruit puree in with the juice. you could probably repliciate it by putting the fruit and juice in a blender and toying with it until you get a thick, flowable liquid. just mah 2 coconut nectars...

V

next time I see you, I could take you some fruit nectar, lots of sorts and priceless here.
There is no nectar of very liquid fruit like grapefruit, orange, grapes, pineapple. The nectar is more for solid fruits that makes puree (apricot, mango, pear, banana...). Very tasty.

Try a health food store our local one has them in.

S

Here in the states you find them with the Mexican foods. Jumex, Looza and Goya are the three brands here. Usually about 40 cents for a can the size of a soda.

Thanks for all the advice.

Virani, yeah we'll do that sometime.

the answer is simple if you look at the list of ingredients. most "juices" sold in the US are really sugar/corn syrup water with additives, coloring, artificial flavoring, and a wee bit of actual juice!
Nectar, on the other hand, is supposed to be mostly real juice - nothing much added. I've always been fond of Kern's nectars (apricot, peach, strawberry, etc.) but they are very expensive and have more calories than the fakey "juice."

Yeah, nectar is just nice, thick juice. Virani summed it up rather well. In the UK, you can't really get away with calling a mixture of juice , water, sugar, and assorted crap 'juice' - it can only be called a 'drink'. Still popular stuff, though, packaged to look like it could be juice.

'Nectar' shouldn't be too difficult to find. I've always managed to get it from more independent shops and small supermarkets rather than the big name Supermarkets. Usually it's European in origin. Lovely stuff - well worth seeking out!

Trader Woody

Just got some Apricot & Mango & Peach nectars. Need to track down the Guava and Papaya ones now.

Exotic deli's here I come.

Pages: 1 10 replies