Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki History - Kona Kai Inn, Dumas TX

Pages: 1 6 replies

The building certainly did not have any Polynesian Pop influences, but it had a great roadside sign.

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-12-31 12:21 ]

I am moving out to the Lubbuck area soon, and I plan on visiting the Kona Kai to help follow up this report. After an internet seach, it found that the Kona Kai is still in business and is still in the same building. As I said, I plan on taking a trip up there to see and to report back.

UJ

I am going up to Dumas this week to ceck out the Kona Kai. Hopefully we can secure that place for my birthday party.. and hopefully with an annual party there. All TC members will be invited (i know I'm giving away more of a secret here)

Well I have been incontact with the Kona Kai, now addressed as the Dumas Inn. After a few phone calls to various numbers I finnaly got a hold of someone. They informed me that they did a renovation some time around 1998 or 1999. It still has "high-way-an" influences, but I have decided not to chance it for my party (which has been posted in the Tiki Events section). With gas prices here finnaly topping over $2 a gallon I'm waiting on a trip up there to get real proof.

So I guess, stay tuned boys and girls.

Bump - Broken picture links repaired

M

The architecture screams vintage 60's Holiday Inn--believe me I stayed in a bazillion of them as I saw the USA from the back seat of my grandfather's Dodge Monaco. The sign IS cool as is the interior shot.

Well, sadly the sign has been replaced with a lit box sign. I had a talk with my boss who's from Amarillo and has fond memories of the sign and the place. He said it was replaced 20 years ago (and leveled to the ground)and if the company would have known, done thier best to preserve it. That's one thing I love about working for this company, we specialize in old sign restoration. We have taken care of alot of Route 66 signs since the company's creation 25 years ago. Atleast the place is still there. I think in a few weeks or so I'm going to try to make it up there.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-07-31 13:01 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies