Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thrift store find, with questions

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

I would have posted this in the finds threads, but I had some questions about it I hoped to find a broader audience for. I found a set at a local thrift store, two chairs, two love seats, and a coffee table. Here are the pics...

The cushion isn't stained, just cat hair.

They have a little plaque that says:

Ritts co.
Tropitan
Los Angeles, CA

They are stamped:
Copyright 1951
Herbert Ritts Inc
Los Angeles, CA

Cost for the set, $225

What can anyone tell me about it. Regardless of whether I got a good deal (which I think I did), it's going to look great in the soon-to-be constructed Tiki Bar. TIA.

Edited to resize the pics

"I drank what?!" - Socrates

[ Edited by: CornTiki on 2004-08-25 17:40 ]

i wish i knew.... but damn I would have paid that price. I love that table. Great Find!

T

I'm sooooooo jealous. The Mrs. and I have been looking for that set-up for our Aloha Room. Nice score, good price too.

Nice score CornTiki,
I believe "Tropitan" was the name of the rattan line of furniture put out by Ritts. From time to time you'll see an old catalog on e-bay.
Here's a great book on rattan furniture...
I have a similar table, same ameoba shape just different legs and no markings. It really is a centerpiece to the room.
Rattan cleans up pretty well with soap and water and a bit of scrubbing and then looks great with some oil applied.
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-08-26 00:08 ]

Herbert Ritts was the father of contemporay fashion photographer/music video director Herb Ritts. His company pioneered decorative Rattan furniture and design in California and the rest of the US.
Good find.

8T

We have a number of Tropitan tables, chairs and a sofa. We LOVE them and are always looking for more. It is tougher to find here in the midwest though. Considering how many pieces you got for the money........"You done good !" (as we say here in our neck of the woods. I mean fields. Enjoy

Wow, nice find for 250. That table looks a little dinged up, but it's killer.

I've got a set very similar, but with a sofa instead of the love seat. My side chair is a little different though. Mine has the original barkcloth fabric on it that had an oriental flare to it with a banzai tree pattern. It was great until I got a cat and dog. Now it's torn up and in bad need of new covers. Mine didn't come with a table either. I'd say you got a very good deal.

[ Edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-08-27 09:47 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies