Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Glass floats and Ku pendants

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hey, I found some stuff that I was thinking about putting on eBay, but I want to see if it would be worth it. Not that I expect to get rich or anything, just to see if it would be worth the effort (if the market is not already full and a small profit can be had).

The first is these glass floats. I do not really know much about them. How much is a reasonable price for that sort of thing? There are 3 kinds:

1. Softball size, maybe a little bigger.

2. Big beach ball size.

3. 3 progressive sizes stacked, around the size of #1 above (+ and -)

Also there are some fake gold or gold plated Ku pendants, green eyes, about 2 inches long. What seems like a reasonable price for them?

Thanks.

T

It depends a whole lot on if the glass floats are old authentic floats or are the new ones that one can still buy for $10 and up, depending on size and how many floats are strung together. I would imagine the old ones are valuable, but I found a couple medium ones at a flea market once for $10 each. The old ones are usually thicker, are hand blown and show a place where the glass was sealed, and have heavier rope that is usually darker in color.

Yeah, I guess these floats are new. The ropes look pretty pristine. Thanks.

These Ku pendants are really sweet, but there are only about 6 of them. I am hoping that there may be more at the warehouse.

Rather worryingly, there are people out there who collect glass floats
but it's ones with makers marks or unusual shapes that seem to be particularly
collectable:

HTTP://www.glass-floats.com

Bog-standard round glass floats are pretty common as they washed
up on beaches around the world. As they look nice, most were kept
rather than discarded and they turn up regularly in junk and antique shops,
particularly near the coast. New ones for tourists can be found pretty much anywhere
an old fishing village has turned into a tourist trap, and vary considerably in quality.
Here in the UK, you're never more than 50 miles from someone selling a glass float!

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 3 replies