Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Be a part of a tiki book. Celebrate people's love of tiki. Deadline set. Some questions answered.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

T

Help Me to Celebrate the People that Celebrate Tiki!

Aloha All~

This is being posted as a request that you be a part of my dream of writing a book, not just any book but a Tiki Book, it will be a book of many parts, a majority of which will be recipes that I have gathered and collected over the years for food and drink. But what I think will make this book special is that I want to include within the book the people that have and share my love for things tiki. Someone asked once what does tiki, mean to you, and to me it means PEOPLE in a lot of ways. One of which is that Tiki means getting together to celebrate our love of tiki, and to celebrate we have gatherings and at these gatherings we have music, food, drinks. And that I guess that is the synopsis of what this dream book is about, but to make it truly what I hope and think it can be I need the help of the many wonderful tiki people everywhere who are willing to share their stories, pictures, and any other bits and pieces you would like send me to add to this project.

If you are willing and would like to be a part of this project please email me at [email protected] or PM through TC and I will send you the form to fill out. Your information will not be used for any kind of spam or anything other then what I have mentioned above.

And for those that think I am planning on getting rich from this, I have had a number of conversations with Duke Carter about this idea and He made it very clear that to take it to a publisher not much will be profited from it. Which is fine, the lil bit I may make I will hopefully use to buy all that take part in the book a drink in the future when I have the chance to meet them.

Mahalo, Tiki Toa

And I apologize to those who I emailed before this post I did not mean for the email to look like a cross between spam & a marketing survey.

Also at this time the deadline is Dec. 1st

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-11-03 06:02 ]

You had me at Aloha All!

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-08-27 16:43 ]

B

Good Luck Tiki-Toa. I'll help however I can. Looks like it will be fun

O

if you need anything from me, just let me know, i will try to help. good luck, sounds like a great idea

Sound like a neat idea. I would like to help you out too.

T

Octane just get me an email or pm and I will send you the info afterwards.

Mahalo Flounder, Benzart, Unga Bunga,Octane, and Chongolio for being willing to help and be a part of this so far.

May the aloha spirit be with you in all that you do.

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-27 18:19 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-08-27 18:19 ]

Tiki Toa, you know I'm here for you. If you need any help at all, let me know.

Everyone, I've seen a copy of his book, you're going to love it!!

TT, my info will be emailed to you in the morning.

A big Mahalo to Benzart and Mr. Sam Gambino for being the first two to submit their profiles. And I look forward to getting more from others as time goes on. Also a big Mahalo to Raffertiki for the offer of doing art for the book and really adding a personal touch.

I would be honored to participate if I may.

Aaron

T

Mahalo to Ragin, Polynesiac, Tikiwahine, McDougal I can not wait to get all of your profiles and read more of the great stories similar to what have been shared so far.

On 2004-08-27 16:43, FLOUNDERart wrote:
You had me at Aloha All!

I swear you are some kind of crackpot. This stuff cracks me up! :)

Thanks, Tiki Toa. Again, I think that this is a great idea.

http://www.samgambino.com

V

If you need any help from the old continent, I'm of course there for you.

T-Toa,

I'll assist you with the "Bong" chapter (or complete book; I'll have my person talk to your people).

On 2004-08-29 19:08, Tiki_Bong wrote:
T-Toa,

I'll assist you with the "Bong" chapter

Bong ya know I really am glad you want to be a part of this, and I figure between all of the things you are involved with (ITD, The Screaming M's) you should be able to have at least 10 pages and I would love to publish all of them. PM me your email address so I can send you the form.

As a note there is no deadline, it is going to be a work in progress at this point. I need to follow through with Duke's advice and do up a Book Proposal and then submit to the names he is going to help me with when he can.

Toa

[ Edited by: tiki-toa on 2004-08-30 12:28 ]

On 2004-08-29 19:08, Tiki_Bong wrote:
T-Toa,

I'll assist you with the "Bong" chapter (or complete book; I'll have my person talk to your people).

i'm looking forward to the movie! and maybe a breakfast cereal (bong-o's?) and maybe an action figure... oh wait, that's already available...

If you want to put in some stuff from across the pond, I'll help out

T

Would love to have you Cheeky! The more the merrier. Virani is taking care of the french connection, now I need all of the Brits to show their tiki love.

email me at [email protected] and I will send you the profile page.

On 2004-08-31 07:40, Tiki-Toa wrote:
now I need all of the Brits to show their tiki love.

Sure, I'll be glad to help. Have you a deadline?

Trader Woody

Lets roll!!!

BONG?! Did we change our name to the Screaming Menehunes?! Nobody ever told me!

Tiki-Toa, good luck with the book. You may want to hire a good proof reader to keep an eye out for run-on sentences. Feel free to throw a comma in there once in a while.

Tiki-Toa wrote:
"Which is fine, the lil bit I may make I will hopefully use to buy all that take part in the book a drink in the future when I have the chance to meet them."

On 2004-08-31 21:44, Luckydesigns wrote:
BONG?! Did we change our name to the Screaming Menehunes?! Nobody ever told me!

Tiki-Toa, good luck with the book. You may want to hire a good proof reader to keep an eye out for run-on sentences. Feel free to throw a comma in there once in a while.

Tiki-Toa wrote:
"Which is fine, the lil bit I may make I will hopefully use to buy all that take part in the book a drink in the future when I have the chance to meet them."

So other then pointing out my failings, how else can I help you?

I could use a back rub.

I was just joking around. Hopefully, no hard feelings.

T

cheekytiki the profile page is on it's way. Thanks for being a part of it.

T

Who has done/will be doing one:
Gecko
Benzart
Sam Gambino
Flounder
Octane
Polynesic
Duke and Amy Carter
Otto
Virani
Chongolio
Tikiwahine
Travellin' Tiki
Holden
Raffertiki
Finkdaddy
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki_Bong
cheekytiki
Trader Woody
twowheelin'tiki
bongofury
Doctor Z
Machtiki
filslash
tikicleen & The Drunken Hat
LAWebChick and their killer new bar
Erich Troudt and his stellar backyard
Hopefully more to be added soon.
So did I miss anyone?

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-09-05 22:50 ]

T

More names to the list:
Jungle Trader
tikibars
Dimethios
Tiki Gardener
Swamp Fire
Tiki Rider
Unkle John
foamy

Is your name here? If not, WHY NOT?

Toa

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-09-05 22:51 ]

On 2004-09-05 22:47, Tiki-Toa wrote:

I'll let you figure that one out.

T

On 2004-09-07 12:25, PolynesianPop wrote:

On 2004-09-05 22:47, Tiki-Toa wrote:

I'll let you figure that one out.

I would PolyPop but guessing is like assuming and I try to not do that.

Looks like I'm the only one left! O.K., what do I need to do? :)

J

I would be happy to contribute - got my form and will fill it out ASAP!

just thought folks interested in this discussion might be interested in what's being said about it in another thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10779&forum=1&start=15

I'm not sure all this extended Toa bashing is warranted. I'm still in.

Wow, I took some time off from TC to vacation in Waikiki, move to a new house and fight two hurricanes. How did I miss this ridiculousness?

Anyone want to erect a tiki at the site of the old Tiki Gardens?

Screaming Menehunes....... hilarious.

Hey, at least no one on the list needs to pester Otto for their money back.

UJ

As am I. I'm not out anything. I was asked, I was interested, I contributed. It's no loss to me, I enjoyed someone asking about my fondness for tiki. It made me giggle like a little girl :)

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

My Tiki Lounge http://unklejohn.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-09-08 15:41 ]

M

I have sent in my profile as well. I can't say I giggled like a little girl :lol:, but it was fun thinking about the questions.

The only real bummer was that it forced me to face the fact that I don't have my own Tiki bar. :cry:

UJ

On 2004-09-08 15:51, MachTiki wrote:
I have sent in my profile as well. I can't say I giggled like a little girl :lol:, but it was fun thinking about the questions.

The only real bummer was that it forced me to face the fact that I don't have my own Tiki bar. :cry:

i know it's off subject, I have a BIG bar that I'll let you have for a cheap cheap price (I'll even throw in a small sink to install) PM me if you are interested.

M

Unkle John,

Thanks for keeping the Aloha spirit alive!

Aloha everyone!!!

Toa,
In light of all of the hub-bub I’m going to withdraw until I can get a better feel for this situation. No disrespect or prejudging of you or your intentions on my part…I’d just like to take a look at what some of the others have to say on this and make a decision at a later date.
Thanks again,
Aaron

On 2004-09-08 16:20, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Aloha everyone!!!

I don't mean to be mean, know what I mean?
Seriously.

I just found the entire thread kind of funny. It reminds me of when Tiki Gardener and I started talking about erecting a tiki at Tiki Gardens and the whole thing went completely FUBAR. Even the famous Otto Von What's-his-name got snared in the folly and madness.

Tiki-Toa should come to Hukilau so he can get back to the basics of this tiki deal -- drinking fine drinks and watching half-naked women (or men, if that's your taste) do the hula. Why this Floridian will be glad to buy Tiki-Toa a shrunkenhead at the Molokai Bar -- while lamenting the missed opportuntity to erect a fitting monument to Kahona, or was that Lono -- which seems appropriate under the circumstances.

Aloha back at you cousin.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-09-08 19:44 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2004 9:48 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:17 ]

Okay, Toa. I read every post I could find on this & feel pretty comfortable now that you're not the reincarnation of Sybil, trying to rip anyone off, or any of the other stuff that was suggested in the Main Discussion Area post that you started. Let's just stick with plain old Tiki-Toa from now on. Like someone said, hard text reads a lot harder than converstion over a mai-tai, & I don't think you ever intended to get such a stir going. Some here may not agree, but no one has to get involved with your book unless they want to. Count me back in.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.