Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Major Tiki Art Show in San Francisco!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

B

For the past year Otto and I have been working on our dream of having a Tiki Art Show in San Francisco. Somehow we got over 60 of the top artist to agree to make our dream a reality! We even put together a 90 page full color catalog in conjunction with this gallery show. If you can't make the opening weekend the art show will be up for 3 weeks. Check it out if you are interested!

XOXO Baby Doe

The Shooting Gallery and Otto von Stroheim presents...
Tiki Art Now!

Curated by Otto von Stroheim of Tiki News Magazine
Meet the artists at the Opening reception:
Friday, September 17th, 7 pm - 9 pm

meet the artist and enjoy uke music by Frank Novicki
Saturday, September 18th, 4pm-6pm

Exhibit shows September 14 - October 9, 2004

Shooting Gallery
839 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
http://www.shootinggallerysf.com
Gallery hours: Tue - Sat

On Friday, September 17, 2004 The Shooting Gallery & Tiki News unveil ‘Tiki Art Now!’ - an exhibit of over 60 well-known and upcoming Tiki artists from around the globe. Based on its longstanding history and mass appeal Tiki Style can now be recognized as an American Folk Art movement. This exhibit shows some of today’s most exciting American artists plus highlights international artists working in the Tiki Style. We are proud to showcase artists that in history will be acknowledged as some of the preeminent Tiki artists of our time. The site of this show is one of the hottest new galleries in San Francisco: The Shooting Gallery. FREE catered food provided by Tiki Go Go.

We are proud to announce that this stunning display of neo-primitve images is captured in a 90 page full color catalog available opening night. Co-published by Last Gasp, the catalog features an introduction by the king of Lowbrow art, founder of Juxtapoz magazine Robert Williams, and foreword by Tikimiester Otto von Stroheim, publisher of Tiki News.

Exhibit features artists from across the US as well as from Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan and Mexico. Some of the artists include: Shag, Marco Almera, Bosko, Sunny Buick, Dave Burke, Kalynn Campbell, Dirty Donny, Crazy Al Evans, Richie Fahey, Rod Filbrandt, Mary Fleener, Bruce Gossett, Christine Karas, Joe Leonard, Sharon Leong, Mr. Lucky, Munktiki, Mitch O’Connell, Lisa Petrucci, The Pizz, Isabel Samaras, Von Franco, and more...

P.S. We are waiting for the rest of the books which are on a slow boat from China (really!) if you need to get a book that weekend please arrive early

H

I had a chance to see Otto's proof copy of the full-color book, and this show has an AMAZING variety of tiki art--it's a big show, with a lot of great people represented. Also, nearly all of the original artwork in the show is astoundingly affordable. My personal favorite piece in the show (though it falls a bit outside the "affordable" category--it's just too jaw-droppingly cool, and a TON of effort must have gone into it) is Crazy Al's chess set. I won't attempt to describe it, it should just be seen. Maybe Al's got a pic he can post. Too cool.

Still figuring out if I can make it up for the show, I've got some crazy business trips next month. I'm going to try real hard, tho!

B

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that all the artwork will soon be on the website for people to view (and purchase) in advance!

http://www.shootinggallerysf.com/

We want to give a special thanks to Justin Giarla of the Shotting Gallery for being such a huge support!

XOXO Baby Doe

F

I have to say Justin @ the shooting gallery is so helpful and friendly I am blown away!Thanks for choosing a great venue with great people.Matt

Sorry to post this twice.
Humuhumu was right. This thread is more appropriate.

I just got the 'Tiki Art Now!" book in the mail and it is truly an awesome book.
An introduction by Otto, amazing pictures of the work, and biographies on all the artists.
A definite must for the tiki library.
Hope to see some of you at Tonga and/or the show!

http://shootinggallerysf.com/Books/Books.htm

T

Should I order the book ahead of time from the gallery or will there be plenty of them at the show on Friday?

Justin says he has about 3000 of them.
10% off if you order before September 15.

P

WOW!

Congrats on putting together such an incredible collection.

I remember you talking about it when Angela and I were out there but my reaction was certainly understated a bit seeing the reality of how many fantastic pieces you've assembled.

Thanks for doing the book for us auslanders. I'll certainly enjoy that for years to come.

Pages: 1 7 replies