Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Selector Lopaka @ The Islander, Seattle, WA *UPDATE*

Pages: 1 7 replies

After some thought and inner debate, I have decided NOT to pursue two Fridays a month at the Islander. My hopes were that the Islander being a Polynesian themed restaurant, I could focus on spinning Exotica and Hawaiian. After last night's gig, I realized that the love was not there for what I really wanted to spin. I filled out the night with Jazz, Latin, Soul, Down Tempo Electronica, and Reggae. The staff appreciated my selections, but it wasn't a set geared toward the tikiphile. This scenario is not what I hoped, so I decided not pursue a regular gig. The manager was cool with my decision, and he agreed on the possibility of future random nights. I send a call out to the Jet City Mucky Mucks and NW TC Ohana for us to plan a tiki gathering at the Islander, with sufficient notice, where I can spin, and we all can socialize. Sound good? I'm still spinning at Thaiku in Ballard on Tuesdays, and will always break out the Exotica and Hawaiian when tiki folk come by.

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2004-08-28 14:01 ]

W

I didn't make it to the Islander last night since I was over at the Tractor for the Sweetpea Birthday Thing/Wayne Hancock show. *

Your decision about the Islander is understandable. The majority of their customers seem barely aware of their surroundings (when sports is on the TV half the heads are staring at that). I can't imagine they'd have any appreciation for interesting music. Instead of attempting to entertain such folks 2 times a month you could be home watching sports on TV.

Still, I hope to see you doing shows there every now and then. We can make a big deal about it in advance and maybe even Sweetpea could make it. Until then, we'll always have Thaiku.

*Met Tiki Central Man of Mystery Mig at the Tractor. Apparently he made a wrong turn on his way home from work Thurday night and after 20 hours of driving in circles ended up in Ballard. At least that's how I remember hearing it.

On 2004-08-28 13:59, Selector Lopaka wrote:
After some thought and inner debate, I have decided NOT to pursue two Fridays a month at the Islander.

Their loss. That place is in dire need of a little authenticity.

I'm still spinning at Thaiku in Ballard on Tuesdays, and will always break out the Exotica and Hawaiian when tiki folk come by.

I'll have to check that out. A gig in the Bora Bora room at the Luau probably wouldn't be out of the question either, no?

I checked with the Luau some time ago about spinning there. They thought they were too small for it. That was prior to the Bora Bora Room though. Maybe I'll check in with them again, and perhaps we could hype a night for us to gather there.

D

Luau and Islander, my two favorite polynesian-ish restaurants!

looking forward to any Jet City Mucky Muck get togethers..

i'd let you spin records here at the RongoRongo room, but sadly i need to get my turntable fixed first!

elicia

S

And after completely flaking out this summer...we will be up for that FUN-ction as well! Rob, we talk about coming to see you every Tuesday, but somehow the work week always seems to inflict physical pain...even on Fridays. (I must admit, I had a hard time motivating for the Islander--blecky drinks and all.) Hope to see all at the Hukilau and at home too! :)

On 2004-08-30 17:24, Sea-Tiki wrote:
Hope to see all at the Hukilau and at home too! :)

Hmmm, given the slanderous chair theft charges that were recently planted by Sea-Tiki like some NW Tiki Crawl Swift Boat veterans, the chance that I may run into them again has me quite seriously considering bringing a lawyer with me.

S

AHHHHH WOOOOFMUTTTTTTT, I would like to extend a HUUUUGE thanks to you!!!
I sure appreciate you going around with my donation jar and making folks fill it up!!!
There was over 200 smackaroonies in there!!
Good job! (although, I did recieve some donations that were placed down the front of my dress! hahahaha)
Sorry the money is not going to refurbish a tiki bar, but instead to
Purrfect Pals, a No-Kill kitty shelter
and
The Alzheimers Association

Thanks again!!!!
Glad ya finally got to meet the Migster!

Pages: 1 7 replies