Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Wai Tiki Gathering Relfections - August 28, 2004

Pages: 1 15 replies

Aloha cousins!

A big MAHALO to Tiki Bree and the fine folks from Tiki Central. The Wai Tiki Gathering was out-of-this-world. It was great to meet and see everyone.

Wai Tiki was incredible. I was concerned it would be a "Florida Tiki Bar" (grass hut and no tikis). I'm so glad I was wrong! And the Mai Tais were fantastic (not to mention super strong).

I put a photo recap on my two blogs:
http://kahiki.textamerica.com
http://tikis.textamerica.com

Won't be able to attend Hukilau this year but definately plan on going next year.

Mahalo nui loa for a Tiki-riffic evening.

H1

P

TikiBree and Trader Trick are the best of hosts. Their graciousness should be emulated by anyone hosting a party of any size. Radiant and vibrant, this couple IS the show.

Wayne Coombs was a happy surprise. I'd never met the man but knew him as soon as he walked in the door. He's a gregarious guy with tons of energy.

It was a pleasure to meet some new friends: Kono, Hot Lava (we'll play soon, my friend), and some others I met after several drinks...and renew warm friendships with people like KGeoff and Marian, Peg, Jonpez, NeptuneTiki and a few others from over TampaBay way.

Flounder and I are mortal enemies forever. Let it be known here that I hold him in the lowest regard possible.

Actually, Flounder and I resorted to shots of Jaegermeister because we didn't think the drinks were all that. Fairly tasty - fresh mint - but lacking the complexity that we're used to here as rum-snobs of the multiverse. So Jaeger it was.

I didn't have a headache this morning Floundy - how's yours? pfffft.

Flounder's loving Maikaina Girl is worthy of a hundred ginger leis.

The decor of the place was pretty impressive. The lamps were right on. The lit glass floats were a big hit. Flounder's paintings were just extraordinary. His art gets better all the time and I admire it greatly despite my intense hatred of the person he has become.

Braddah Gecko - tell your "uncle" mahalo for the great vibe that his velvet paintings gave the room. Those wahines are incredibly enticing. Got any phone numbers for them? Owww... Angela just hit me.

Really though - the art set the tone for the evening and the bar was finished out with bamboo rails and footrails.

The next time the Vodkanauts or the Haole Cats play there - I think we should have another gathering there.

(I'll bring some orgeat, passion fruit syrup and falernum and give the folks a Grog Log.)

Great to see you all and I hope that we meet again soon.

Mahalo.

[QUOTE]
I didn't have a headache this morning Floundy - how's yours? pfffft.
[QUOTE]

No headache but I have to admit that I awoke on the bathroom floor at 5:15 this morning.

Great night!

Only complaint is the music. When we first arrived it wasn't to bad then around nine they started playing top forty crap.

Thanks Bree and Tristen.

I think we need to do this more often now that we have a place centrally located. Maybe quarterly?

Good to see everybody last night and mahalo to Bree and Tristan for setting it up. We're definitely into doing this on a more regular basis, plus we all know it is important to patronize your local tiki bar.

Marian and I really like the mix of old and new that is Wai-tiki. And, I totally agree with Pablus about the black velvet Wahine from da islands. She was sweet. Wayne Coombs did some some really kick-ass, unique carvings for the bar and Flounder's huge painting of the Bali-Hai mug looms over everything with the all-seeing eyes of a Dr. T.J. Eckleburg.
KG

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-08-30 08:32 ]

PI

Yes, a big MAHALO to Tiki Bree for all her hard work.

We had a great time and will definitely go back. We had been avoiding the downtown scene for awhile, but Waitiki and Monkey Bar are worth it.

I won the autographed Tiki Quest book and was sooo excited. I've never won anything before and what a great thing to start off with winning.

On 2004-08-29 13:49, pablus wrote:
The next time the Vodkanauts or the Haole Cats play there - I think we should have another gathering there.

That would be this Saturday, Sept. 4th! Can't wait!!!

Mark,
Looks like Frances may be headed our way on Saturday. If not, we'll try to be there.
KG

PI

Yes, Brendan and I will try to make it too (do you remember us? we sat next to you and your wife at the Hukilau last year).

HL

Here! Here!

Agreement all the way around - the bar turned out surprisingly nice and the company wasn't half bad either. :wink:

I'm not sure what happened to our uke jam -- Pablus and I were there, axes in hand -- maybe next time.

The drinks weren't too bad (the So-and-so's Punch was my favorite, while Kelly dug the Mango Cosmopolitan), although the Mai Tai left a little to be desired. Much better than the Bai Hai Hut's in Bradenton, but nowhere near as good as the one I got the next afternoon at Tchop Tchop.

The food was quite good too -- another pleasant surprise.

Can't wait for the next gathering...

S

Independence Air just announced direct cheap flights from Knoxville to Orlando so it might be part of my future plans to join you guys. Let us all know!

It looks like another hurricane may ruin a Wai Tiki get together.......

T

Yeah, I spoke too soon - all entertainment for this weekend has been cancelled. Our make-up date will most likely be at the end of October.

Drat.

Now I know it ain't tiki, but we'll be at the House of Blues in Orlando a week from Saturday on Sept. 11th. Maybe see y'all there and then ...?

T

On 2004-08-31 17:46, Pomaika i wrote:
Yes, Brendan and I will try to make it too (do you remember us? we sat next to you and your wife at the Hukilau last year).

Absolutely! I was trying to track y'all down (lost Brendan's card) when we had the gathering in Daytona earlier in the year to see if you'd be attending.

Please PM or email with your contact info!

On 2004-09-01 17:01, tweedtone wrote:
Yeah, I spoke too soon - all entertainment for this weekend has been cancelled. Our make-up date will most likely be at the end of October.

Drat.

Now I know it ain't tiki, but we'll be at the House of Blues in Orlando a week from Saturday on Sept. 11th. Maybe see y'all there and then ...?

Sept 11th???? Dude the forces of evil are against you.

T

Sept 11th???? Dude the forces of evil are against you.

I brandish my Telecaster at said forces in defiance!

Here are the pics from the WaiTiki party. It has taken me a while to post due to Francis.

Tiki Bree and myself aka Neptune Wahine

Neptune Tiki/Neptune Wahine, KGeoff, Marian

The Hosstesses with the Mostess! Tiki Bree and Tristan

Jonpez and Neptune Tiki

Marian, Flounder, KGeoff

Neptune Tiki and Flounder after his Jaegermeister

Add Pablus and his Wahine

Tiki Bree and Tristan

Tiki Cheers to Bree and Tristan for doing such a fantastic job. The doorprizes were AMAZING!!! The place was wonderful and the company was the BEST! THANKS!

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2004-09-07 18:03 ]

[ Edited by: NeptueTiki on 2004-09-07 18:08 ]

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2004-09-12 10:52 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies