Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the quest for China Jade, Beverly, MA

Pages: 1 7 replies

Has anyone else been to this place by chance? While in Beverly,MA in 1998, I visited this average Chinese restaurant. One of my friends ordered fog cutter, which was indeed served in a tiki mug. I remember this because the drink was strong. My friend recalls at least a few drinks that were tiki and that there was a tiki "bar" inside the building.

Since this was before my tiki interest, I had not ventured into the bar or looked for any tiki. If it still exists and still has any these elements, I couldn't say. Can't vouch for the quantity or quality of any of it. In fact, I kinda don't expect much. But wouldn't it be neat to see where tiki has survived, especially in a sleepy little town.

Just curious if anyone else has been there by chance and could fill in the details. Thanks again.

C

The world is indeed a small place! I lived just up the street from China Jade, and it is my all-time-favorite Chinese Restaurant in New England! I remember receiving my AMEX year end summary one year and being shocked by the fact that I'd spent over $5000 in the restaurant in one year. I still go there every time I'm back up in Boston for work, since I usually stay at the Peabody Marriott near where I used to live.

It's a great place, still in business, still owned by the same family, and still serving some of the best drinks in the area. The bar is small and not really tiki at all, but the drinks are authentic enough, and yes, served in original mugs. I love the Scorpion Bowl. The whole place is more Chinese than Chinese/tiki but it's well worth a trip just for the boneless ribs!

I like the food and drinks better than either the Kowloon or the Bali Hai, both of which are within a stone's throw. However, for the tiki purist, either of these latter are must-see places north of Boston.

Good to find another North Shore resident relocated to FL here on TC!

Go Tanners!

X

has anyone been to China Jade recently?

X

i guess you were NOT impressed. i was just wondering about the food and Drinks now. always looking for good chinese on the North Shore. I'm surprised you didn't go to the South Pacific in Newton

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23046&forum=2&24

What a great idea!

X

i used to go the the South Pacific maybe 15 years ago for a Mai Tai before a Patriots game. Food was ok too. i liked the Fettucini style lo mein that they had. Best Chinese restaurant i've been to is the Golden Temple in Brookline. NOT TIKI and pretty damn expensive.

X
xtine posted on Tue, May 6, 2014 4:21 PM

Golden Temple makes me think that I am dining in Jaba the Hutt's lair. I love that place.

Pages: 1 7 replies