Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Busch Gardens Tiki

Pages: 1 14 replies

I see that most of you are 'classic tiki' collectors, but I thought I would post that Busch Gardens has a tiki t-shirt. They are $12, come in neat colors and have a multi colored, fun tiki on the front. They are located in France area. Just mentioning...

hey sheriinva! which busch gardens do you mean? we went to the one near williamsburg, virginia last month. we saw them in the italy section near the water rides, they were okay but said 'water country' if i recall, and it seemed inaccurate to me to buy a shirt from a place i hadn't visited :)

welcome aboard btw, j$

T

The Busch Gardens in Florida used to have several huge Tikis, one in a Hawaiian style, and another in a Sepik style. Both carved fairly accurately, and 8 feet tall.

I wonder if these were moved to a different Busch when the FL one closed?

Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida is still there. I just went there a couple years ago. I live about 3 hours drive in Ft Lauderdale. There were no tikis, but the entire park is more of a safari/african theme.

T

Hmmmm... the pic on page 98 of Tiki Road Trip was taken (by me in 1993) in Busch Gardens in Tampa.

I had heard that the park closed.

I am certain they if you were there, Ragin', that is must be still open, but are you sure the Tikis were removed?

At the time, I wasn't as hard core about tikis as I am now, but I don't remember seeing any tikis. I remember alot of african and animal carvings, masks, etc..They have a bazaar area where they sell african souviners and carvings as well. The rides they have kick ass if you are into throw-up rides. The have one of the largest inverted(track above you and your feet hang) roller coasters called the Mantu, which is in the egyptian theme.

I was there around 1999-2000 when they opened their newest roller coaster which is a 2-sided wooden jobbie called the kwazi.

S
sungod posted on Wed, Sep 1, 2004 3:07 PM

8 to 10 foot tribal totem in the
Congo area. Go to Busch Gardens Tampa all the time. Nothing else tiki there but still a fun time.

T

Ah well, if they removed the Tikis, then they might as well have closed the whole damned park!

What good is it without the Tikis?
:)

HL

I can confirm that the tikis are gone -- I think the spot they were located at got re-themed to tie in with a Jack Hannah show Busch Gardens got involved with when the Edge of Africa exhibit got built.

The park is in a near constant state of flux as they have to work pretty hard to keep things updated to compete with Disney.

S

We have season passes to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and that is where they have these t-shirts. I will be going there soon and will check on them and see if they have anything else tiki. I doubt anything other than the t-s as I asked around last time. This BG is fabulous, I prefer it to WDW as it is mucccchhhhh cleaner :) LOL

On 2004-09-01 16:16, tikibars wrote:
Ah well, if they removed the Tikis, then they might as well have closed the whole damned park!

What good is it without the Tikis?
:)

Is the "Hospitality Hut"(sp? on everything I write!!!) still there?? Screw the tikis. FREE BEER!!! I was there in 1986 and got hammered on Mich. dark!!

On 2004-09-09 00:31, RevBambooBen wrote:
Is the "Hospitality Hut"(sp? on everything I write!!!) still there?? Screw the tikis. FREE BEER!!! I was there in 1986 and got hammered on Mich. dark!!

By '91 it was a dixie cup full of light beer, one per customer.

Guess they got tired of cleaning up puke from the rides!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

On 2004-09-10 22:10, RevBambooBen wrote:
Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

fuck yeah -

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies