Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Great Tiki Geocache Project

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

Aloha!

A new hobby--geocaching--has been spreading like wildfire in tikidom, read this thread to learn more about it:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10051&forum=6&15

(Okay, so maybe not exactly like wildfire, but the people who are getting into it are really enthusiastic!)

I personally got turned onto geocaching by Mig at this year's Tiki Oasis--Mig & I spent a day hitting geocaches that were at great Palm Springs destinations like Liberace's house, Elvis' house, and the tram. We've discussed how cool it would be if lots of tiki locations had their own caches, and now with more folks here getting into geocaching, I'm thinking this can happen!

Geocaching.com has all the info you need to get started, and includes the rules for creating your own cache. If you live near a tiki location (even if that location is long gone, but of historic interest), please consider creating a cache for it! These caches could include some scans of postcards and pictures of mugs, and a bit of historic information, to teach geocachers a bit about tiki history. If you'd like, I can help you track down neat stuff to put in your cache.

If this is something that people are interested in doing, I can create a link in Critiki in that location's entry directly to the cache's page at Geocaching.com. (I already have added a sort of geocaching easter egg link that will take you to a page showing all the geocaches near a tiki location.)

Anyone interested? I'll have to be clever about it, but I think I can figure out a way to get one near the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's....

D

Count me in...I just figured out my phone has a GPS system in it...Now to figure out how to work it..Yippeee!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-08-31 14:07 ]

DZ

Of course I'm in for it - I've already got one planned called "The Latitude 20"!! :wink:

H

On 2004-08-31 13:59, Doctor Z wrote:
Of course I'm in for it - I've already got one planned called "The Latitude 20"!! :wink:

Cool! I'll take on Tiki-Ti, too... I think I'm there frequently enough to keep an eye on the cache. :)

TB

Utopiandreem & i are in. Possibly planing one at La Mariana in Sept. But Bahooka would be pretty easy.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-08-31 14:39 ]

D

I will put one where Hulaville used to be on old route 66. Not pure Tiki but close to my heart :D

I'll see what I can do around the Mai-Kai...

Pages: 1 6 replies