Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

indian larry rip

Pages: 1 5 replies

J

'Indian Larry' Said Killed at Bike Show

Mon Aug 30, 9:45 PM ET

CONCORD, N.C. - A custom motorcycle builder known for his appearances on cable's Discovery Channel died Monday at a hospital of head injuries suffered during a stunt, officials said.

"Indian Larry" fell off a motorcycle Saturday while performing before 8,000 people at an arena outside Charlotte. He was not wearing a helmet, the officials said.

Indian Larry was standing on the moving bike when it began to wobble and went out of control, said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy manager. His full name was not immediately known.

"Indian Larry was a man with great skill and talent as a mechanic and metal sculptor," said Robert Freeman, chairman of the county board of commissioners. "He will be truly missed by his fans here in Cabarrus County and throughout the nation."

Indian Larry, who appeared in movies and television shows, was featured on a Discovery Channel series in which motorcycle builders design and build bikes from scratch, then have them judged by motorcycle aficionados.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with his work but he was a great bike builder - he recently did a Ed "Big Daddy" Roth tribute chopper as well as a tiki chopper that Kanaka posted here on TC

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9638&forum=1&vpost=98807

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2004-09-01 16:32 ]

By far, my favorite bike builder of all time. I've been a fan of his for years and this news is tragic. He was someone who was able to rise above a life of crime, drugs, and the bottle to become a highly successful craftsman.

He will be missed.

Sad news to hear, I had not heard of him until the Bike Build off but it was cool watching him do his old school stuff and man that tiki chopper was sweet. RIP Larry!

J

Found a good pic of Larry and one of his bikes...

I was lucky enough to meet him about three or four years ago at the Memorial Day Car Show in Paso Robles. He was hanging out with a car club called "the Beatniks from Koolsville" and we were talking about the East coast/West coast car & bike trends. He was an amazing artist and bike builder. The ultimate rebel.

I enjoyed watching Larry on his many apperances on tv. He was a true craftsman and unbelievable person. RIP, Godspeed Larry.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-13 18:37 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies