Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How do You Frame a Shirt?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Aloha All,
So I have a couple of old aloha shirts that I'd like to display in The Aloha Room. Does anyone have any tips for building a frame or some other method for displaying old shirts?
Mahalo,
:tiki:

UB

On 2004-09-01 00:21, Tiki Royale wrote:
How do You Frame a Shirt?

"Tell him that the pants has been seein the boxers, behind his back."
I don't know what that means. I just thought there was a joke in there somewhere. :)

D

Fun idea! What about trying to find a dressmaker's torso,or a department store model?What would also be fun would be to take a length of bamboo and put it through the sleeves,and hang it on the wall.I also heard of someone making a really cool lamp out of one,but I don't know how that was done.

B

I'm with Unga, you gotta frame the shirt cause everyone thinks the shorts did it

Tramplamps make old ladies underware into lampshades maybe you could do domething like these to a shirt..

http://www.tramplamps.com/Pages/gallery.html

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:45 ]

Thanks Filslash,
I love the shirts at Dukes, that's where I got the idea. (I wish my shirts were of that vintage/quality)
I never could really figure out how they displayed the shirts in the frames. I guess I'll just have to bust out the saw and give it a try.
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

Sufside 7 in Ft. Collins, Colorado has a bunch of vintage shirts in frames. Perhaps you could give them a call and get some info. I haven't met the owner, but I am told he owns some vintage clothing stores in Colorado too, and that the stuff in the bar was collected personally by him. So he probably has some insight on how the shirts were framed, if he didn't do them himself.

i have one of my fave shirts hanging 'kimono' style.

it's not framed but has a rod running thru the sleeves. a ribbon is tied in two spots in the center of the rod & hang's in a triangular shape (the ribbon).

back in our london flat, we had this hanging above the bed in our guestrm. folks loved it.

if you do this, i recommend ironing the shirt first & buttoning the top button.

I'm doing 2 custom shadow boxes next week for 2, 1920's Hula Skirts (vintage???). Can't tell you who they are for but, I'll snap a pic and probably never post it. (doing 2 "way custom" tiki bars for the same person too)

There're a number of custom framing companies here in San Diego that specialize in framing collectables that don't go in a standard frame, usually a mix of flat & 3-D objects, but I've seen framed sports jerseys & other shirts. If you want the shirts framed you can check out sports & Rock-n-Roll Memorabilia & Collectables stores in your area, they should point you toward the company they use.

Pages: 1 10 replies