Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Warren Zevon

Pages: 1 19 replies

M

Spare a thought for Warren Zevon today, who gave us the immortal line:

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect."

in his song "Werewolves of London"

Warren was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and will likely not make it to 2003. I'm not a fan, though I did see him in concert once, and 55 is waaaaay to young for anyone to go.

That's all.

-martin

S

Thanks for the message, Martin.

That is one of the greatest lines in any song, and I particularly enjoyed Warren's album he made with members of REM (minus Michael Stipe) -- The Hindu Love Gods. It's a great record and Warren's vocals really add a great dimension to a talented band.

Props to Warren!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Warren Zevon There is a name I have not heard in a while. I first saw him back in 78 not to bad. Maybe his song Doc I'm all F#*Ked up,was a little look in to his future :(

[ Edited by: powerofthetiki on 2002-09-13 08:22 ]

I heard about Warren, also. What a shame. The man was truly an artist who did it his way...commerciality and trends be damned! I had "Excitable Boy" on eight track (remember those?!) back in '78 when it came out. I wore it out a few years later, then got the cassette. Now its in my CD collection along with 4 - 5 other Zevon discs. I never got to see him live, wish I could have. I hope that he and his family and friends find peace and comfort in his remaining time on this planet. I'll miss him.

[ Edited by: TikiMikey on 2002-09-13 16:33 ]

On the news this morning, he said he'd be really bummed if he didn't get to see the new James Bond flick. Good to see he has a sense of humor about it.

M

I stayed up to catch Warren on Letterman last night, it was a genuinely nice moment. Two of my old faves from college days, Letterman and Zevon. Used to like how Dave would say "Come on Warren, you and me are gonna drive cross-country, fighting people".

Warren is a great songwriter. His wit and ability to turn a phrase is pretty rare. "You can't start it like a car, you can't stop with a gun"

I sent Mr Zevon a note this morning, thanking him for some great tunes and wishing him the best there can be...and to enjoy every sandwich.

"I'd like to meet his tailor"

Ahhh Hoooo!
midnite

H

I stayed up late to catch Zevon last night, too. It was very neat, I'm really glad they did the tribute while the guy's still around to participate. It was good to see he hasn't started deteriorating yet; I really hope he gets to see that Bond film.

Now I'm gonna go buy his cd.

A

His hair was perfect."

I always thought the line was...

"His hair was PURPLE."

Sorry, I'm so goofy. (Shelley)

Her name was Kim. Here's more info than you all need...
I lost my virginity to "Excitable Boy" in the background and remember her dad walking in shortly thereafter to "Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder. KMET or KLOS??? ...early 1979 as best as I can fondly remember.
Some truth that's memorable and flat out what it is! Go peacefully Nick and thanks for the memories! Awwwooooo!
Holden
ps - almost a Tiki Socialite... holy camolee!

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2002-10-31 22:24 ]

On 2002-10-31 21:52, Alnshely wrote:
His hair was perfect."

I always thought the line was..."His hair was PURPLE."

So did I, until I got the CD, and it was clear enough to understand! A great appearance by Warren on Letterman last night too. I dragged out all 5 of my Zevon CDs & put them in the changer & have been listening to them most of the day today.

Ahoooooooooo to all.

Hey Holden,

A few of us remember KMET...

"Dwidle Dee..."

Glad you lost your virginitee...

Takes me back to nighteen eightee...

Aloha,

Uncle Artee...

a.k.a. stentikee...

How many of us remember when the ultra-metal KNAC was a cutting-edge punk station?

M

"How many of us remember when the ultra-metal KNAC was a cutting-edge punk station? "

Ya mean that Signal Hill/Long Beach powerhouse that made KROQ sound like KIIS in the morning with Rick Dees?

No, I don't remember that. :D

It's all nostalgia now, 70's and 80's Orange County...now I see Social D. is touring with Tony Hawk and a bunch of bike riders. What would Darby Crash think! What does Warren Zevon think?

Those days are long gone, secure in my "You can't go home again" file.

midnite

DZ

You mean "Rock n' Rhythm KNAC"? I've still got a day-glo pink on black sticker stuck on a folder from high school somewhere...

While we're on the topic of ancient L.A. radio, who still remembers K-WEST? I don't remember their frequency, but their tag line was "Crank it to the right... ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT!" , and they had a great TV spot with a sexy chick silhouetted in the shower, grooving to Zeppelin's "The Wanton Song". When she opens the shower door, it's actually an old lady in a shower cap, and she says "K-WEST - TURN IT UP!!" (or something like that...)

Or how 'bout when KLOS was still called KABC-FM?? (wow... am I really that old??)

T

Bong dude

You can still catch KNAC on their web radio show. I'm sure it's not quite the same as we all remember from the early 80's but it still carries some of the nasty flavor. KWEST was my favorite station in the 70's, before the early KROQ started up.

Fond and vivid memories!

Trustar

M

Was it just me or did anybody else think that Poorman was the splitting image of Ron Jeremy? KWest was on... 105.9!
Holden

Holden,

Except for one predominate feature, Poor Man did look like Ron, the dong.

Was anyone listening to KROQ (way back) when a) when they played AC/DC and b) got kicked off the air for a while after using some 'foul' language in the early '70's

A thing of tiki is a joy forever

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-11-04 11:03 ]

While we're on the topic of ancient L.A. radio, who still remembers K-WEST? I don't remember their frequency, but their tag line was "Crank it to the right... ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT!" , and they had a great TV spot with a sexy chick silhouetted in the shower, grooving to Zeppelin's "The Wanton Song". When she opens the shower door, it's actually an old lady in a shower cap, and she says "K-WEST - TURN IT UP!!" (or something like that...)

I remember that same commercial in Detroit in the mid seventies for WDRQ-FM.

trustar,

I look back on KNAC with fond memories too. I used to listen to KNAC in '86 when I lived in N. Long Beach screwing around in my garage with guitars & cars all weekend.

T

Congrats on the Grammy, Warren. It shoulda come years ago.

Pages: 1 19 replies