Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis on NBC Wednesday night... The new cop show "Hawaii"

Pages: 1 11 replies

Gecko, you mentioned you rented out some of your tikis... I stared hard at the tv and they flashed so quick I could barely tell if they were yours...

Anyway... tacky show... I wasn't impressed. I did enjoy the little bit o' IZ at the end...

The two cops dined in a dinner place/bar decked out all in tiki with a waterfall, float lights, tikis, fishnetting, big reef tank... looked like a tiki bar...
I get as many little Hawaii flashes inbetween the fake drama as I get with the Hawaii hotel program thingy on Fox...

I swear those were Gecko's now though...
gotta go back and watch the video tape...

T

The restaurant they went to was La Mariana.

Great place.

Terrible show.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 9:10 PM

I missed it. I don't know if it's on the first epi. It's a cannibal and a Tangaroa that they used in the shot. I herd mixed reactions. I'll see it next wednesday Lake....that's if they are still on the air? if it's as bas as you say.

[ Edited by: gecko on 2004-09-02 21:11 ]

Didn't see it. Hawaii got K.O.'ed by the George W. Show here in San Diego.

A

It was prempted on our cable by the RNC. Damn I was curious.
Mahalo,
Al

D

i'm adding this show to my "guilty pleasures" list.. i like the actors Ivan Sergei and Sharif Atkins. lots of shoot 'em up scenes. big muscle cars. i love seeing big ol hawaiian guys.. yeah, the show hits every stereotype ~ the characters are pretty much like what all cop shows are made of..

an entertaining, mind-numbing hour of CRT therapy!

S

Must admit we had high hopes for "Tiki Vice." :)

M

I might have to enter it onto my "guitly pleasures" list as well. I didn't think it was great. I didn't think it was horrible. I thought it was entertaining. My wife and I did have a fun time trying to play "spot the tiki". I had to answer the phone just as my wife shouts, "That looks like a Gecko Tiki!". I cursed out the caller, but not in time. I missed the entire bar scene.

P.S. Stop right there... We didn't play THAT "spot the Tiki" game. That's on Sunday's.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-09-03 17:18 ]

T

Kudos to Mike for getting his tikis on a Hollywood production; it doesn't matter if the show sucked or not, as one lead leads to another.

Remember, we're more dialed into Hawai'i and tiki than the vast majority of the public.

Anyways, looking forward to hooking up with you Mike next March...

Bong

On 2004-09-02 22:58, dogbytes wrote:
. yeah, the show hits every stereotype ~ the characters are pretty much like what all cop shows are made of..

Ha, and to fulfill the stereotype of what looks MOST like a HAWAIIAN bar they had to go to the only authentic Tiki spot left in Hawaii, La Marianas, (which is itself pieced together of remnants from the long gone Tiki Bars of Waikiki.) How ironic...

"Hawaii 5-0" mostly avoided Tiki bars because in the 70s they were already regarded as tacky, maybe "HAWAII" will make up for that...Someone should propose an episode with a Tiki carver....Gecko perhaps?

D

It's a new show, give some time. So sit back and look for tiki's, enjoy the back ground stuff. Hey that war club, that was cool, hate to meet up with it in a dark alley.

I didn't know Jack Lord was into car-jacking! More of the fact I didn't know there where more than one Jack Lord.

Actually I find it funny (if it's true) that Hawaiian children would dress up as Jack Lord Halloween.

Pages: 1 11 replies