Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Can anyone identify this object?

Pages: 1 15 replies

F
foamy posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 8:51 AM

A friend of mine went to an auction and bought a bunch of odd things in a box to get a few particular items that they wanted, and threw the rest away. I found this on the top of the garbage. Some friends and I have speculated that it might be a net mender. If so, whats with the string and nuts? It's made of bamboo and I have no idea what kind of nuts/seeds are on the end. Does anyone know what this is?

Isn't that the thing that Crocodile Dundee used to make a phone call?

I don't know what the hell it is, but it looks pretty cool. Yeah Scott, it kinda does look like that thing in crocodile dundee that he swung around and made the call.

V

On 2004-09-02 09:13, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
Yeah Scott, it kinda does look like that thing in crocodile dundee that he swung around and made the call.

What ?? a Boomerang ?? No way.

H

The thing that Crocodile Dundee spun to make a call was not a boomerang, it was a bull-roarer. And yes, the item in the photo looks like it could be one.

DZ

Yeah - it does look like a bull-roarer. One way to find out: take it outside and whirl it around over your head. If it makes a loud sound, I'd say it's a bull-roarer.

But, then again, didn't a bunch of huge bats show up when Crocodile Dundee did it?

V

Oops sorry, after googling, yes, it must be a bullroarer :

BULLROARER, the English name for an instrument made of a small flat slip of wood, through a hole in one end of which a string is passed; swung round rapidly it makes a booming, humming noise. Though treated as a toy by Europeans, the bullroarer has had the highest mystic significance and sanctity among primitive petple. This is notably the case in Australia, where it figures in the initiation ceremonies and is regarded with the utmost awe by the blackfellows.

D

Looks like a surfboard for a squirrel to me.

It looks like a bullroarer, probably a display version since the cord looks too short to get up any real speed. You want at least 3-4 feet of cord so the bullroarer can get good & loud. The seedpods were probably added as a handle/rattle.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-09-05 11:33 ]

F
foamy posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2004 6:32 AM

The thing is about 6" long (the bamboo part) and has a "tine" cut in the middle of it and the tine runs the lenght of it. The end where the tine cut was started is knotted together to close it, the tine point is free.

I tried whirling it around like Croc. Dundee – nothing. It is not nearly as big as what he had. Thought you all where on to something there. I may be wrong, but I don't think that's it.

M

The first portable fishing rod?

D

prehistoric dental floss holder?

TM

Surfboard for a Menehune?

Trying to do my part not to create a new posting.
Well, I'm hoping to enlist some advise from the experts on this board.
I assume this piece is an ice bucket or storage bowl of some kind made from a coconut, but I haven't a clue as to what material the white outer shell is.
Possibly the outer shell is actually shell?
It stays cool to the touch, so it can't be plastic.
Any help is appreciated!

Also I have a few items on ebay & I thought this wall sculpture might appeal to some members here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12515&item=6129714171&rd=1
Cheers,
BigBadCheezyDaddy

[ Edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2004-11-07 23:38 ]

Maybe someone has found a way of preserving the coconut meat on the inside, and then stuck it on the outside.

Just a guess....

Trader Woody

it's a bullroarer:

makes a cool noise & has traditionally been used in spiritual stuff.

it's found in australia, pacific islands, & even among native americans.

most notable & well known are the ones from australia.

yours doesn't appear australian to me. i would guess it's from png.

here's a site w/ more info:

http://9waysmysteryschool.tripod.com/sacredsoundtools/id9.html

cool find/thanks for sharing,
tc

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-11-08 10:57 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies