Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Flamingo Hotel, Santa Rosa

Pages: 1 3 replies

Has anyone here been to the Flamingo Hotel in Santa Rosa, CA? There's an article about it in the SF Chronicle today:

A little bit of Vegas in the Wine Country: The fabulously '50s Flamingo in Santa Rosa has hosted celebrities, hookers and families
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/09/02/DDGAE8HBTD37.DTL&type=entertainment

This place appears to be Midcentury Modern and not tiki at all, but definitely something we might be into.

--cindy

T
thejab posted on Thu, Sep 2, 2004 3:03 PM

Some more old photos on their website:

http://www.flamingoresort.com/history.php

Why, I was just there last Friday night for a retirement party. The theme was "The Godfather" and everyone dressed in black. Some large fellows dressed as Dons, and I made an attempt to dress as a Mafia Princess, but I was more Sopranos than Corleone. Big hair, lots of bling, stilettos. Sadly, no one realized it was a costume and I brought shame to the family name. I was there in my father's place, who served as "consiglione" to the retiring guy, and was therefore my mother's date.

I had also been there last year for a wedding reception. That also had a "Godfather" theme.

The Flamingo was recently renovated, and has touches of the W (Po Mo), but not as severe. They have a large beautiful pool area, and host Friday night parties in the summer - not too tropical, but you can catch a lot of aloha shirts and some grass skirting around the outdoor bars.

The catering chef Klaus is phenomal and the buffet food I've had there is extraordinarily good.

The exterior of the place is retro pink, and pretty cool to look at.

I have not eaten in the restaurant and am shocked I haven't hung out in the bar yet, so I can't comment on that.

They filmed the Coen Brothers' "Man Who Wasn't There" and I believe that may have given them the money for the renovations.

[ Edited by: dangergirl299 on 2004-09-02 15:13 ]

The Flamingo indeed had a little Tiki going on at one point. I spotted this menu a while ago on ebay and clipped the images.

An obvious borrow from the Luau 400 mask.

Or was that the Town House mask?

TTT

DC

Pages: 1 3 replies