Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Any Info On Paul Page?

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

I have these 2 lps by Paul Page. No dates on either, but in the photo from the 2nd lp he looks a little older and a little pissed off. Mostly original songs, with some nice steel from Bernie Kaai Lewis. The interesting part is that he does a lot of poetry over the music, kind of like Eden Ahbez.

Some interseting info on the back of the second lp. The youngest newspaper editor, semi-pro basketball in Ohio, a radio show in Alaska, worked for NBC in Chicago, a photo model, published a nationally distributed Polynesian newspaper (The Beacon) monthly from his office in San Pedro, a prize winning artist (he did the art on his albums) hosted a nightly all stereo, Polynesian radio show (KMLA) in Los Angeles, and wrote, directed, and starred in the very first Polynesian televesion show in 1949. Whew!

There is also a reference to being featured in a Lon Chaney Jr., Universal mystery "playing the part of a Hawaiian and singing a chant he wrote for the film". Anyone know what film?

First lp says entertains nightly at the Hammond organ in Bill Leveloff's famous Turf Club In Pico-Rivera, CA. Also has an ad for an astrology record by Paul Page.

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-09-02 20:58 ]

N

He also wrote a song about the defunct Tahitian Lanai.

ACROSS THE ALLEY FROM THE ILIKAI
by Paul Page © 1973

Across the alley from the Ilikai
There's a tavern
And I can't deny
It's like home away from home to me

There beside a blue lagoon we knew
Be it morning, noon, or nitetime too
You will find me
Underneath a coconut tree

Follow the sound of a happy song
Follow the pathway
You can't go wrong
'Round the piano bar, how time goes by

Ia o ra na my friend
And aloha 'til we meet again
'Til we meet again
At the Tahitian Lanai

Waikikian Tiki Gardens walking tour

http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

Some more info about Paul Page within this past thread.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7878&forum=11&78

I just saw this thread. I posted some info on Paul Page in the Main Forum under Interesting Tiki Reads. Check it out.

Thanks naugatiki, Selector Lopaka, and Kailuageoff. Looks like the "Let's Have A Luau" lp was released under several different titles, Pieces Of Eight, etc.

V

I just picked up a MINT (sealed) copy of The Big Island Says Aloha. Great stuff -- should have some cuts on the air very soon.

Calling all Paul Page fans -- the latest podcast episode of Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge is a Paul Page retrospective, featuring tracks from all of Paul's rare LPs, including *Let's Have a Luau, Passport to Paradise, Hawaiian Honeymoon, I Remember Blanding, * and The Big Island Says Aloha. You can subscribe here. A full hour of bliss.

Aloha,

Vic

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site
www.myspace.com/vegasvics

[ Edited by: vegasvic 2007-09-29 10:45 ]

Just subscribed to the feed!!

Thanks Vegas Vic!!!

The Paul Page Retrospective is wonderful. You did an incredible job of putting this together.

Thank you very much!! :)

I am still looking for ANY Paul Page albums and have been looking for a loooooong time!! This will have to do for now!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Maybe it was already mentioned elsewhere but...very good Paul Page article here:
http://www.wfmu.org/LCD/18/ppage.html

Maybe not mentioned here on TC, but very recently here :)

I am hoping that the inclusion of TWO Paul Page songs on my Sound of Tiki CD will get this under-appreciated genius more exposure and will cause more material to surface.

That one is gonna be on my next CD, if.

Kudos for including Paul Page on your compilation Bigbro.

Anytime we can shed light on these relatively unknown artists the better!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

D

Found a Paul Page bio, which includes playlists for several of his albums at http://shop.klicktrack.com/subliminalsoundswebshop/artist/383899

Would love to know how I can get a copy of "Across The Alley From The Ilikai." If you know how, please let me know!

Mahalo

On 2017-12-25 10:23, DMayL wrote:

Would love to know how I can get a copy of "Across The Alley From The Ilikai." If you know how, please let me know!

Unfortunately, I think the only "copy" you can get is sheet music. I don't believe this was properly recorded (at least not by Paul Page, as the copyright date is much later than any of his recordings), merely published.

Pages: 1 12 replies