Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sniped on ebay today!

Pages: 1 10 replies

I was bidding on a super cool guitar today and coming down to the last minute, I was sniped. That bastard!
I know that alot of you are ebay super-users and I was wondering what the solution to my situation would be. How do I win auctions? I was told that there is a free E-bay sniping type thing that is available to level the playing field. Any help would be great. Thanks.

http://www.esnipe.com

Not free for everything, but it works really well.
I use it when I think there is going to be a lot of interest in an item and I don't want to drive up the price too early. I can also decide my absolute max and walk away, instead of getting sucked into raising my bid higher in the end-game bidding frenzy.

One of our favorite internet tools :)

D

i also use esnipe ~ its like ronco "set it and forget it" ~ i put in my maximum bid, and it does the rest. i've only been outbid 1 out of 8 times (and thats fine with me, because the item went for much more than i was willing to pay for it).

it helps me not get all wrapped up in the bidding.

T

Lucky I have learned from many years of ebaying that 1.you can set your max at the start and if you win then you can be happy that you got it at your price. 2. wait and watch then bid at the last 2minutes your max price and if you win great. But in the end always know what you are willing to live with in bidding for something. I also have learned that if you are able, spend some time doing searches on the internet you may find the same item somewhere else for a compairable price. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Toa, I didn't bid until the last two minutes, and for about a minute and a half, I was winning. I thought the auction was in the bag for me, but when I went to refresh my browser page to see my victory, some bastard snuck in at the very last second or two. While I thought I was sneaking up on the current bidders, there was someone sneaking up on me. It was kinda like that movie, 'Predator' except without Schwarzenegger  .

DZ

On 2004-09-02 22:12, Luckydesigns wrote:
How do I win auctions?

Spike, m'friend, I gotta tell ya: sniping service or no sniping service, the way you win eBay auctions is to bid more than anyone else! That's it. Whether you bid in the last 2 seconds or a week in advance, the person who bids the most wins. Period.

(Oh, and if you ARE going to use a sniping service, I recommend AuctionSniper.com... :wink:)

I thought that a sniping program throws the next highest bid in right at the last second. I didn't think that with sniping, it's still 'highest bid wins'.

T

Spike... try practicing your sniping techniques here:

Ebay sniping practice auctions for Spike

hehehe!

I thought that a sniping program throws the next highest bid in right at the last second. I didn't think that with sniping, it's still 'highest bid wins'.

eSnipe (I don't know about the others) behaves exactly as a regular eBay bid. You tell eSnipe your highest offer, and it submits it to eBay 6 (or so, your choice) seconds before the end of the auction, just as if you had hit the eBay "bid" button and filled out the form yourself. So highest bid still wins, but because you're bidding so close to the end of the auction those watching it at the end don't have time to manually bid higher.

If your max amount is less than someone else's max amount, you'll still get outbid, which is why you have to enter the highest price you're willing to pay.

eSnipe also has "bid groups" so if there is more than one seller of something you are interested in, you can group them together, and the minute you win one, it cancels the rest.

Yes, I'm a fan :)

Thanks for clearing that up for me, everyone.
Pup, I would love to practice my sniping on that Tiki Bob mug but it's getting a little pricy for me. I'm still waiting for that one to show up on my shelf. Oneofthesedays....

Spike,
Same thing happened to me.But I learned sniping is the way to go.Go to this link and you will learn all you need to know.When I snipe and win the auction great, if not thats fine because it was too much $.
These guys are right though, the highest bidder wins... Good luck!

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2004-09-30 08:11 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies