Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Liqueur Brand Choices

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've seen mention of de Kuyper being better than Bols, with the exception of the orange curacao - is that the general consensus?

Within reason ($$ and availability) can I have a show of hands? What do you think is the better choice between Bols, de Kuyper, Hiram Walker, Potters, or Other?

We are fond of the 750 ml sized bottles, but if there's a significant taste difference, we'll sacrifice size for flavor anyday, particularly if it improves the Durukuli's house drink! :drink:

In my opinion, Bols is better for just about anything--particularly Orange Curacao and Blue Curacao. One exception is Banana Liqueur--all Banana liqueur is gruesome, but Arrow is the closest to being drinkable.

I too prefer Bols, and love their banana liqueur, but that's just me. I'm bananas over Monkey's Lunches.

Hiram Walker I try to avoid, but our selection up here in BC tends to suck, so I'll take what I can get. I do, however, prefer Midori over Bols' Melon Liqueur, but it's also getting hard to find.

Thanks for the advice! We like the Bols, but after reading a few notes about the deKuypers, we figured maybe we were missing out. A taste test between the two brands of curacao was mostly a wash.

So maybe we'll stick with the Bols - it's cheaper, though slightly more difficult to find. We'll probably give the banana a taste test though - we go through quite a bit of it.

Cheers!

M

Try to pick up Marie Brizzard's Orange Curacao. It's excellent.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Sep 8, 2004 6:20 PM

Bols and duKuyper are both fairly good quality unless you can find and afford imported liqueurs, which are usually superior (of which Marie Brizzard is the most easy to find).

Pages: 1 5 replies