Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Langerman's Luau Mug - Family emails added

Pages: 1 38 replies

B

Interesting variation of the OMC Moai design.

[ Edited by: badmojo 2008-02-07 05:01 ]

A

This is the first one like it I've seen.
Mahalo,
Al

Ooooh, what a find! Langermann's Luau was a really cool spot, from what I have seen on postcards and menus. The family had two or three Polynesian restaurants in different towns, a history worthy to look into. They were working with Oceanic Arts, Bob and Leroy might know more!

P

Thats an interesting version of the moai mug, badmojo, thanks for posting that photo. I've never seen that eyebrow thing before. Here's a little bit of info on Langerman's Luau, from a few menus that I have:

It was located at 915 Montgomery Ave., in Narberth, PA ( there was another location, for take out and catering, at Stenton Ave & Washington Lane). Here's a drink menu, dated 1960 :

The inside of the menu features many of their drinks:

There's a small photo showing a view of the Hukilau Bar ( which is mentioned on another menu). There's a nice Hawaiian mural opposite the bar, looking very much like Eugene Savage's "Festival of the Sea" :

Another photo features a few drinks, yet the moai mug is not pictured :

There are some of the usual drink names, then a few odd ones :

I think this menu is the only one I've seen with hula dolls incorporated in a photo of tropical drinks:

Also, here is a different moai mug from there :

I am curious about the names of the other Langerman Polynesian restaurants in other towns, thanks for that info, bigbrotiki.

[ Edited by: puamana on 2004-09-04 18:24 ]

Oh my god, how hilarious, the menu text really kills me...
That's why I love Polynesian Pop, always something new to discover, like that special Moai mold from Otagiri, never seen another mug like it.
And "BALI HAI- If you can't handle: BALI-LO"
superseeds my other favourite twisting of the concept, from Herman the German's home bar:
"Bar-I-Hai"

Mimi, have no info on the the other locations with me, must ask OA. BTW, Naomi brought me my mail to Berlin, thanks for the xeroxes!

T

On 2004-09-05 05:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
from Herman the German's home bar:
"Bar-I-Hai"

German, ...or Japanese?

M

"Mommy, I Gotta Make a Tinkle" ?!

Wow- that's the worst drink name ever.

And ordering that isn't going to impress the lady at the next barstool very much.

B

I have a friend who has that crazy Moai mug, we could never figure out what that was supposed to be on his forhead. We have the Langerman's Moai salt and pepper with shoulders, but I've never seen the companion mug. There is always some undiscovered treasure out there isn't there?

Hey Puamana!
Welcome back stranger, and thanks for posting that.

great menu!
what amazes me most, is the non-alcoholic drinks are only 25 cents less that boozy ones!

S

This is really exciting!

I've been hunting for PA Tiki remnants. This is from right outside Philadelphia, so next time we're up that way we have some exploring to do.

B

Email I received.

"This tiki is from my parent's restaurant in Narberth, PA. (30 min. outside of Philly) The drink was called a "Suffering Bastard" and was served with a backscratcher in it. The restaurant was open from about 1959-1968. The tapa paper behind the mug was from a roll in the gift shop. I have another mug from the bar. My father filled the place with items from the islands after his stint in the South Pacific during the war. He will be thrilled to know one of his mugs is still out there.
Thanks,Patty Langerman"

[ Edited by: badmojo 2008-02-06 20:44 ]

B

Email I received.

***"Hi,

I am Harry Langerman's grandson and still live in the Philadelphia area. Could you tell me where you purchased these items? Also could you ask "Puamana" where he purchased his items? My mother has many of pieces from the restaurant but I was curious where you all got them from.

Thanks

Daniel Schram"***

[ Edited by: badmojo 2008-02-06 20:46 ]

P

badmojo, that's great ! Thanks so much for posting that !

B

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-03-31 20:44 ]

P

Badmojo,

Many thanks for the P.M.! I will email him today. Its things like this that make TC such a great place !

J
JTD posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 6:41 PM

Have just learned that Langerman's Luau also had a location in Atlantic City.

Langerman's Luau
3606 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ
ph.: 344-4500

I don't think that's come up before.

JTD

M
R

Is that tiki blood I smell in the water? Let the feeding frenzy begin!

we all know who is going to get it :D

Wow, and the Langermanns contacted him, cool. Wonder why he edited out all his posts previously?

M

Yowza! Not sure why Mojo deleted his posts, but he sure has a winner with that mug!

Oh, he did re-post most of them, which I appreciate, thank you.

I got the e-mail for the Langerman's daughter Patty from Mojo and we have exchanged a few e-mails so far. She seems like a very nice lady and I hope I can persuade her to share some "Langerman's Luau" stories sometime.

T

Found this in an old Playboy magazine from the 50's/60's and yes I was looking at the Playboy just for the ads.

I have found this thread very interesting and enjoyable. I live near Narberth and I have only found one half of a salt and pepper set from the Luau. I am out at yard sales/estate sales/flea markets/thrifts all the time and I never ever ever see any stuff from the Luau, which is weird, I thought for sure I'd find things here and there, but no dice.

Have always wanted that mug and menu in my collection.Well you know what they say.....
wish in one hand and ^@ in the other and see which one fills up quicker LOL.
I really dig the moai mugs .Xlnt thread and responses from the family .
Mahalos

On 2004-09-07 17:00, martiki wrote:
"Mommy, I Gotta Make a Tinkle" ?!

Wow- that's the worst drink name ever.

And ordering that isn't going to impress the lady at the next barstool very much.

Martin, I am not coming to Smuggler's Cove unless you can assure me that you will make me a "Mommy, I Gotta Make A Tinkle". I mean it.

There is just so much to love about this menu. Remember folks, Mai Tai is pronounced "My-Ty".

I have been looking for an item from Langerman's Luau for a long time. A multi-view postcard went for mucho dinero on ebay a few months ago with some great photos of the interior.

The Kon Tiki Bar

The Outrigger Room

DC

Damn ..... look at all those sweet glass floats .

I was lucky enough to score the oversized postcard and made some better scans of the three pictures.

(interesting that they used the Trader Vic's Fog Cutter mug)

Here is the story from the back of the card, some great Poly Pop imagery and drink mixology.

Glad to be back and running on TC.

DC

On 2009-05-31 15:24, Tikisgrl wrote:
Found this in an old Playboy magazine from the 50's/60's and yes I was looking at the Playboy just for the ads.

The ad mentions "even an albatross". There it is on the back wall!

Also a nice Tiki in the corner.

DC

Just found this guy, one half of a S&P set.
He seems to match the small tiki in the ad (down to the protruding eyeballs). So I'm wondering... is the large tiki the other half of the set?
The seller had no idea where she got it from, or where the other half could be. I also picked up half a PMP peanut set and half an orange TV set.
hey, a buck a piece for things I didn't have, maybe I'll find the other half someday.
There's nothing on Ooga-mooga, just the two moai mugs shown in this thread.

On 2009-05-31 15:24, Tikisgrl wrote:

Cool find. I always loved that Tiki, I actually used it for a collage I made of Pre-Tiki sheet music and the menu, on the back of Tiki News -

...obviously for its phallic qualities :D I am beginning to wonder if it existed as a carving in the restaurant, because his partner did, as we can see in frame 2 on this highly desirable giant postcard/placemat:

Found this ad online from the Luau - they seemed to have dropped the Langerman's name. Wonder if it sold at some point?

A nice looking flaming Pupu Platter for only $1!

DC

This menu from Langerman's Luau sold on ebay a while back.

Now where have I seen those images before??

The old TTT art of borrowing from the best. Talk about clip art.

DC

These photos from Langerman's Luau sold on ebay a few months ago. The were taken at a Luau held to celebrate Hawaii becoming the 50th state.

That's Harry Langerman in the middle.

Also saw this old placemat that announces the opening of the restaurant in Atlantic City.

And another version of the menu tiki.

I found a few closeup images from the brochure while surfing the web and an obituary for the owner.

Pages: 1 38 replies