Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

10th Aniversary Pacific Islander Festival

Pages: 1 4 replies

The 10th Annual Pacific Islander Festival is September 25th & 26th at Ski Beach here in San Diego. Their Website has info, directions, parking locations & shuttles, and more.

Here's a Link to the posts about last year's Festival.

I may have to make this event, what with hula and finally an opportunity to hit Islands and/or Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge.

It looks like a great event, even if it is a little low on the tikis, according to this review from ModMana:

"My first impression was a good one as I walked past several large tikis to enter the grounds. My second impression was "Wow, I can't believe there are so many people here!". Many thousands of people of all backgrounds and ages in the crowd...definitely a family event. Of course people of Polynesian dissent were especially well represented and seemed proud to be there.

There was a main stage that had entertainment all day including hula shows, musical performances, and a variety of other types of polynesian entertainment. Unfortunately we arrived too late to spend much time watching the stage entertainment. But we still enjoyed what we saw and heard of it.

There was plenty of opportunity for Polynesian cultural enlightenment. Lots of educational booths showcasing all aspects of Polynesian life. Some nice artifacts but most were not for sale.

There were at least a dozen food booths with varying qualities of authentic island style food. We had some very tasty lumpia and empanadas. Unfortunately this was a dry event so no Mai Tais.

Lots of booths (maybe 30?) selling all things polynesian. If you were looking for tiki items like us, there wasn't as much as we had hoped. Didn't see any carved tikis that were especially impressive. Too bad some of the great carvers from this board weren't represented there. The other booth items were mostly cheap crafty things but if you looked hard you could definitely find a few gems worth purchasing. It was fun looking for hidden treasures.

Overall I'd say this was a great way to spend the better part of a day. Plus, it was free to get in. I wouldn't exactly call it a "tiki" event because the focus seemed to be more on the culture as a whole. Tikis had only a peripheral presence, but that was OK. I would recommend going next year if you can."

K

There is always lots of Polynesian dancing and chanting at this event and plenty of ono food. Nice to have this event after the summer has passed. My ohana and I will be attending as always - we are proud to share our culture and heritage.

I've attended this festival for the last 3 years and each one gets way bigger than the last. So, judging by last year (their 2nd @ Ski Beach) this one should be da bomb.

MG

Anyone going this morning? Weence and I are gonna get there early. I'll be wearing my "Tiki Beach Festival" tanktop and Tiki Tony necklace.

We were going to vendors there, but the dang booth fee is $850 and $950 with the late fee. That's crazy! Maybe next year, we need to check it out first.

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-09-25 09:58 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies