Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Why is the tiki life important to you?

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

bump

RG

Short answer: What Sabu said.

Long answer: All the best times of my childhood revolve around my Gramma's house in Bellflower. She took us to Disneyland, the beach, and many other magical places. In the 60's the bright lights, googie, and tiki of Anaheim were wild and exotic to a young boy living in Riverside and later even more behind the times in the mountains.

The best of the best times were at Disneyland where Adventureland especially made me daydream of far off mysterious places.

Fast forward a couple of decades heavily blurred by substance abuse...I settle down, get a regular job, have a family, and then I realize that, OMFG, I'm going to die someday, I don't have forever to visit those wild places I always dreamed of. This is something we like to call mid-life crisis.

The mid-life crisis manifests in many ways, but for me it's a matter of trying to do things I always wanted to do and thought I had unlimited time to get done. Sail to the South Pacific, wrestle alligators in Florida, wake up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army knife (as Buffett puts it). I'm now making a concerted effort to do those things, and they are mostly to do with going to exotic locations with palms trees and beaches and scantily clad natives.

Meanwhile, when I can't go those places, I try to recreate those wonderful feelings of my childhood, the anticipation of going those places and doing those things. There are several things that give me those feelings, and tiki is one of them. I can sit out on my (sparsely decorated so far) patio and look at my (cheap Target and dollar store) tikis and feel like I did while I was a kid while planning my next foray into danger and mystery.

Really fascinating stories from everyone!

I think I just grew up with it...my family is largely from Hawaii, and I saw a lot of carvings and things when I visited. And growing up on a hillside overlooking "The Tikis" also helped...I never went inside the place, but we would hear the drums at night every weekend, and if you looked down the hill, way at the bottom you could see little nuances of flames from their wild celebrations.

It was always just there, and for many years was not an active interest, but about three, four years ago, it sort of gelled into a very active interest.

My Grammie also got me interested in tiki.

She loved Tahiti, Hawaii, and everything tropical. My Grandaddy was a base Captain so their family moved from base to base, all across Canada. I think this way of life is what catapulted her into the exotic mindset; a getaway, from the everyday. I've heard stories about the wonderful Hawaiian shirt collection my Grandaddy had. He passed away before this photo was taken (that's her friend Ted). Even in this picture, you can see the tan she loved to have all year long. She used to bring me back puka shell necklaces and shell mobiles from her trips abroad.

Ten years ago, at age 18 I discovered drink mixing(discovered the drinking part at about 14 but don't tell my Mum).
I found that bringing bottles to parties and mixing for friends was a heck of a lot of fun. Everyone was willing to by-pass their bottled boredom and try something new, made especially for them.

With my husband often away with the military, and my mundane desk job, my life is perfectly suited for a tropical escape. As soon as I leave this desk my mind drifts to my happy place.

Tiki is my happy place.

It's dark and relaxing, soothing, comfortable, interesting smells of dank wood, exotic flowers, and big tropical foliage, a little bit of naughty thrown in there. Nude wahine velvet paintings and tapa cloth, carved posts, beams, tikis; big, thick bamboo forming railings and posts, lamps created using found nautical objects, some cage like, glowing softly in a rainbow of colours and textures.

Tiki is an assault on the senses. It gets you thinking and looking at everything, everywhere. You can incorporate it into every aspect of your life, and I believe I've almost accomplished that. It keeps my mind off the fact that I miss my husband dearly, and it forces me to get creative, something I can always do more of. In the winter when I can't be out gardening, tiki is a cozy inside hobby. I can work on room and lamp projects, or simply mix myself a drink and imagine it's hot and sunny outside.

Tiki friends are good friends indeed. When I'm in a rut or feeling a little sad, silly, or even drunk, I can hop online and have a good old chat with those that understand what it is I have such a passion for. I wish I had some like minded people living a little closer to me, I don't know of anyone else on my whole island that shares the same deep interest that I do.

We open our arms and our doors to complete strangers, give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and invite people over to join us in a drink or six. Everyday we seem to be spreading carving, painting, or creating tips, drink recipes, shirt and mug collections, postcards & paper a plenty, music files and best of all, happy tiki thoughts, for the most part.

I would say that tiki is, indeed, very important to me. It's my life, in fact! I think the world would be a very drab place without the establishments that live on, the memory of those past, and the creation of exotic spaces, be they bars, rooms, homes, gardens, closets, or wherever else you choose to create your own little piece of heaven.

Thanks for bumping this thread Monkeyman.
I love to read aboot what tiki means to so many different people, and why it's important to them.

TT

Great question first of all:

I am from Minnesota, so the escape theory is probably the best I can think of, but there are just too many other reasons to narrow it down to just one.

I guess Tiki just makes me happy.

For me, Tiki has two important feelings to it. The Tiki/bar side and the Tiki/Polynesia side. Ever since I was a young boy I have recognized both aspects. As far as the Tiki/Polynesia, I have long dreamed of the day I could digress from this urban jungle and retreat to a simpler life of sand between my toes - no shoes, no long pants. I've always felt an affection towards Island life, the culture and traditions embracing their environment rather than looking for ways to modernize and over achieve. One of my favorite movies (as an artist) is "the age of content" 1969, where an adult artist moves to a small island on the great barrier reef to re-find his passion and inspiration for his art. He finds his peace - but of course finds a willing model in the form of a beautiful 18 yr-old island girl - who has been repressed by her overprotective grandma. Pure fantasy, but an enviable situation to reclaim your environment and open your sole to less technological influences. On this same thought the colors of the Islands are overwhelming - the greens of the palms, the turquoise of the sea, the browns of the sand and coconuts, the reds of the sunsets and sunrises. All those colors so easily missed in the Los Angeles cityscape.

As for the Tiki/bar side - growing up in Boston, Mass - my family frequented Polynesian restaurants on special occasions. Actually they were more Chinese restaurants with tiki decor. Kowloon in Saugus, Hawaiian Gardens in Seabrook, NH, Tiki Lau in Amesbury, Mass, and Oriental Gardens in Haverhill, Mass to name a few. As a young child I recognized and found a love for the presentation of food in drink in ceramic bowls, mugs and dishes. Flaming Hibachis, and those incredible lounges. Dark yet soothing where you could lose yourself in a dark corner, with your partner, sipping Mai Tais, Head Hunters and Zombies while being served by exotic woman with flowers in their hair. No matter what kind of day you had before you walked into the "lounge", you could easily forget the outside world for the few hours you spent in "paradise". Thatched roofs, bridges across water, starlite lamps on the ceiling, palm trees and velvet Wahines. To this day - it is that charm and escapism that supports the lure of my tiki collection. Unfortunately as a self employed artist - I am still waiting for the day I can create my own Polynesian escape - whether it be to the Islands or just an amazing area in my own home. Until then I can always dream - an occasional Mai Tai in my favorite Tiki Mug transports me there now!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-07-06 10:30 ]

Tiki means a quieter, simpler time. We had Hawaiian "tiki" restaurants where I grew up. And we always went there for special occassions. It reminds me of fun, levity and something exotic. I have loved tiki since I am 12, and at different times it is stronger in my life then others, but it is always there. When I am at the house in the desert, where we it is Modern, 50's easier lifestlye, we are tiki 24x7. I am happiest there

Amy

TF

It is pretty tough to say anything that has not ben said here yet I feel like I must contribute.

I have been fascinated by Tiki for as long as I can remember. I was literally born into Tiki. My family lived in a modern home in Lakewwood Colorado during the 60's and my favorite room in the house was our Tiki themed sun room. My parents had yet to visit Hawaii but like many others at the time the next best thing was to create their own tropical paradise at home. The bar in our home was dedicated to racing and that is another story.
Our Tiki sun room led down stairs to our Tiki patio where my folks did most of their entertaining. I can distinctly remember hearing various flavors of exotica blaring from the crackling outdoor speakers while a Summer party was in full swing. I also remember the joys of going to the various Tiki and Polynesian themed restraunts of the time for birthdays and special occasions. Those places to me were symbols of the mysterious world of adulthood.

Now my wife and I live in our own period correct mid-mod home with a Tiki Patio. As many of you know there are no more Tiki places in Denver. Our best option for the Tiki experience had to be created from the ground up. The thing that I like most right now about the Tiki life is that the right moment can be kind of elusive considering that our Tiki scene is exposed to the elements. It is like all the right things must work in unison and then the magic happens. Just like any of the great out of state Tiki bars. It is the magnetic pull that makes you order drink after drink and stay as long as you want to. When the music is right and the breeze stirs up the chimes. There is no rain and all of your guests are feeling the sensation.

If this happened every night I would be broke and perpetually hungover.

When it happens it is wonderful. Al the work, the research, the collecting, and the building continue to pay off in spades. The Tiki life is good at Tiki Fink's Shack.

T.F.

G

On 2006-07-05 13:57, Tikiwahine wrote:
It keeps my mind off the fact that I miss my husband dearly

You know, I'm not a real emotional person, but that comment got me a little misty eyed. Or, it would have, if I wasn't so dehydrated from all the rum I'm currently drinking. But I digress...

Seriously, Tikiwahine, your post was obviously from the heart. I, for one, appreciate it very much. You have articulated so much of what I feel as well. Much thanks.

On 2006-07-06 16:13, GatorRob wrote:

On 2006-07-05 13:57, Tikiwahine wrote:
It keeps my mind off the fact that I miss my husband dearly

You know, I'm not a real emotional person, but that comment got me a little misty eyed. Or, it would have, if I wasn't so dehydrated from all the rum I'm currently drinking. But I digress...

Seriously, Tikiwahine, your post was obviously from the heart. I, for one, appreciate it very much. You have articulated so much of what I feel as well. Much thanks.

Thanks Rob, that post truly was from the heart. It takes me quite a while to write about how I feel, I guess that's why I didn't say anything the first time 'round.

When it comes to tiki it's all pinned on my sleeve for all to see.

Thanks for your nice comments.

R

Wow! So many wonderful sentiments and recollections.

I grew up in a tiki era (b.1962) and only about an hour away from the great Kahiki. The sad bit was that apart from my Grandma no one in my family were cocktail types so the Kahiki and all things tiki remained a mystery to me for years. I was 22 before I even had my first aloha shirt (Ft. Sill PX). Fast forward to about 5 years ago and things began to change rapidly. It started with an interest in aloha shirts (the good, the bad, and the ugly). About 3 years ago I got my first tiki mug and now I have over 100. I am adding on a tiki room with bar next month. I hit Hukilau last Fall, Tiki Oasis in May, will be in Catalina next month, and come full circle in October with Hukilau '06.

I am a consumate tiki late bloomer but I have thrown myself headlong into making up for lost time. The thing that has motivated to proceed down the jungle path is the great people I have met at every event and here on TC. The Ohana are truly wonderful and unique. I can only hope to create new memories as wonderful as those everyone has been sharing on this thread. Tiki to me is loving life and enjoying every step along the way.

Mahalo nui loa!

T

I'm a dreamer,
Surrounding myself with Tiki is an exotic retreat from the daily grind.
There is something about the arts of the south seas that takes me to another place, somewhere tropical, warm and peaceful.

Peace.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 18:19 ]

Tiki life is important to me because it helps to promote "The Aloha Spirit"

"Aloha Spirit" is the coordination of mind and heart within each person. It brings each person to the self. Each person must think and emote good feelings to others. In the contemplation and presence of the life force, "Aloha", the following unuhi laula loa may be used:

"Akahai", meaning kindness,
to be expressed with tenderness;

"Lokahi", meaning unity,
to be expressed with harmony;

"Oluolu", meaning agreeable,
to be expressed with pleasantness;

"Haahaa", meaning humility,
to be expressed with modesty;

"Ahonui", meaning patience,
to be expressed with perseverance.

These are traits of character that express the charm, warmth and sincerity of Hawaii's people. It was the working philosophy of native Hawaiians and was presented as a gift to the people of Hawaii. "Aloha" is more than a word of greeting or farewell or a salutation. "Aloha" means mutual regard and affection and extends warmth in caring with no obligation in return. "Aloha" is the essence of relationships in which each person is important to every other person for collective existence. "Aloha" means to hear what is not said, to see what cannot be seen and to know the unknowable.

-Defined by The Hawaiian School Report

Cause I got so dang much money tied up in it and it took so long to build out my Hut/office, that I can't change anything now. People keep giving me TiKi things, what do I tell them? Oh yeah, now I'm into NASCAR? I don't think so. Besides, I'm a rummy.

Pages: 1 2 62 replies