Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shag "3 Musicians" Artist Proof vs Numbered Print

Pages: 1 6 replies

I have got an Artist Proof of this print coming. I dont know too much about Prints, but is it better to have the numbered or the A.P.?

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-09-13 15:00 ]

Does anybody know? Last request.

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2002-09-16 08:40 ]

The numbered one, as that's the one I've got...ho ho.

Actually, I'm not too sure. I guess artist proofs should be the rarer, but at the same time you never really know how many they have made.

At the end of the day, it's the image which counts, right?

Trader Woody

On 2002-09-13 14:59, KokomoTikiBar&Grill wrote:
I have got an Artist Proof of this print coming. I dont know too much about Prints, but is it better to have the numbered or the A.P.?

A.P. are supposed to be no more than 10% of the run, so if the edition was 300, then there are no more than 30 AP, thus making them worth more (theoretically). The reality is that they are worth what someone is willing to pay.

AP are typically acquired directly from the artist and not sold through a gallery, which is often why you rarely see them for sale, although Shag's seem to pop up quite a bit.

There is no rule about AP, however.

-Mike

Thanks for answering my question. I wanted to get mine framed by Frame Fetish, but they wanted nearly $300 to frame it. They have some cool matting and frames, but they are not worth that much dough.

That's actually not too bad for framing. Especially with the size of the piece and the time it takes for all the extra cutting of the designs in the matte.

I have 2 SHAG pieces framed by Link @ Frame Fetish. I love them! But I've also heard people say that they feel the extra designs cut in the matte detracts from the art itself.

Anyway back to the cost of framing...I just had a Joe Sorren piece framed and with tax it was a little over $400...more than what the giclee cost me. But if you want a nice quality-framing job done by someone who is competent it usually cost a bit more.

[ Edited by: sulltiki on 2002-09-16 12:32 ]

T

I have this same print framed by Link @ Frame Fetish. I feel his work really enhances the print, it makes the frame PART of the picture it certainly does NOT take anything away from it. It just compliments it beautifuly, kinda like a pineapple and cherry on a mai tai :D
:drink:

If it was just a plain frame around it I wouldn't pay that much for it, but what Link does is more artistic and well worth the cost. Well at least in my opinion... anyway.

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2002-09-16 11:59 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies