Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My first attempt - constructive criticism wanted

Pages: 1 24 replies

T

First of all...I am a forum newbie. Second...I did not come to TC with thoughts of carving.
Third...I am totally inspired by the TC vets and more so by the first attempters that proudly displayed their first here on the forum.

So I decided to give it a try. I am decorating the interior of my VW camper with a tiki theme. Here is my personal contribution to accompany the carvings I have purchased. Let me know what you think cause I really enjoyed making this. Thanks

[ Edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-08 16:43 ]

T

if that's a first, you need to keep going! that is great looking for a first.

TC

nice! got any pics of yr van's interior?

Man, you kick ass if that's your first attempt. Great work. I'd love to see some pics of the bus.

R

WOW, I wish my first turned out that good. How large is it? Wheres it going on the bus? What year is the bus? Please show us more.

Man, if thats your first attempt, Im truly inspired. Excellent job. Im very impressed.
Gotta see the pics of the bus now.

I know I will be trying some carving for certain.

M

I love it! What year/model is your VW? I had a '76 lime green automatic popup camper for a few years, I'd love to replace it with simular somedayand Tiki it up.

T

Thanks for the responses. It means alot. The tiki is a tad smaller than a foot ball. The peice of wood was obtained from an old shop project that was never completed. It was already in that oval shape. The face design was something that I just sketched on the wood (any resemblence to other artist's designs is purely unitentional). I also did not use a single chisel, it was completely done with a dremel tool and some different bits. Oh yeah a little elbow grease in the sanding process.

Funny there is as much interest the VW camper. I'll post a link to the some camper pics soon. Oh yeah...its a 78 Champagne Edition with a pop up and full camper interior.

[ Edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-08 18:07 ]

Looks like the 20th, not the first.

Some feedbacks, definitely not criticism, would be to make the teeth size more balanced.

What does the symbol on the forehead represent?

Quit your day job.

looks like a tiki madball with a little beastie boy influence. :)

awesome first carving...don't stop there - keep 'em coming!!!

T

Thanks for the feedback. Christiki - I agree about the teeth. They are a little large and out of balance ,however, I'm happy with the way they turned out in form. The forehead was empty and I was going to do a pineapple like many tikis I have seen. But the space seemed a little small. Since the tiki is for my VW, I figured I would try a VW logo. Not traditional but a little whimsical. I guess he is the VW tiki warding off the gremlins that like to creep into those old air cooled engines.

I can't wait to start on another larger tiki!

[i]On 2004-09-08 20:05, Tikibus wrote:

Since the tiki is for my VW, I figured I would try a VW logo.

I like the idea, mana to protect your ride on the road.

C

Hideous.

Being the first is not an excuse, it's merely a warning.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-08 23:33 ]

TIKIGRUVEN!!! I love it!

In tikispeak, "hideous" is the highest form of compliment that one can achieve. I'm striving for hideous with every chisel blow!

Really, man that first tiki is unbelievable. One problem with the van, though... You might run out of space real soon if you keep it up. But please, keep it up.

On 2004-09-08 23:30, Aaron's Akua wrote:
TIKIGRUVEN!!! I love it!

In tikispeak, "hideous" is the highest form of compliment that one can achieve. I'm striving for hideous with every chisel blow!

Really, man that first tiki is unbelievable. One problem with the van, though... You might run out of space real soon if you keep it up. But please, keep it up.

My bad. and I apologize for not knowing the compliment. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways .

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.Sorry to chongo , I' ll retract my previos stupidity

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-08 23:33 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2004 3:49 AM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:17 ]

C

Very cool, very very cool. Welcome to TC and jumping right in with a great pic! The tiki is rad! The VW symbol is a bitchin' touch maybe even a first! Those teeth reminds me of someone but I cant quite put my finger on who. You got to post pics of the bus! I too am VW bus enthusiast. I have had several of the split window and owned a 21 window micro bus. I have so many stories of fixin' those things on the roadside with popcicle sticks, bungee cords and c-clamps. Good fun, builds character! Finally had to give in too reliable transportaion, but still dream of owning and creating a tikibus.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-09-09 20:54 ]

T

Thanks again. I had a VW camper as a daily driver when I was younger. Regretted selling. But know I can have one as a hobby. The Tikibus idea came to me as a way to personalize my VW. I have specifically chosen carved tikis for the inside that are not space consumers or have functionality. This tiki once stained will be velcroed down in a small corner.

Many of my ideas however have not come fruition yet so I don’t want to post pics too soon. (Well maybe I'll post some interior) But I'll give a hint of what’s to come.... thatched awning, painted tiki mask on the spare tire cover, custom TikiBus sticker for the back, a tiki step stool/camp stool, tiki painted on horn button. It’s been a challenge to tikify such a small mobile place.

Sound like it is going to be sweeet! I still wish I had my Micro bus. I always thought an old retired bus and a little work with a blow torch would make a unique greenhouse or tree house. :D

I can help you out with the any kustom decals that you may need.
Send me a PM with your address and I will drop one of my tiki decal in the mail for you.

Cheers and have fun with that bus

Chongolio

MD

Man, you need to drink more while carving.
Then maybe your tiki would actually look like a first instead of a twenty-fifth.
Maybe I need to drink less while I'm carving..........
Truly awesome.

T

Well, here he is with the final look. A little stain and semi gloss. Probably needs a another fine sand and second clear coat. Once he finds his place in the VW, I promise I'll post pics of the interior.

[ Edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-20 09:37 ]

[ Edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-20 09:43 ]

B

TikiBus, Don't quit now. #1 is great, can't wait for #'s 2,3 4 and 5. Get busy chipping away.
Are you sure that is your FIRST???

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-09-20 14:54 ]

Constructively speaking, Tikibus - THAT'S BITCHIN'! DO ANOTHER ONE!

Pages: 1 24 replies