Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai-Tai #16 - The Ultimate - Thanks BK!

Pages: 1 30 replies

C

OK, now I'm on Mai-Tai #16 (since noon or so). Here's a shot of #16 with the Italian Lime squisher and the ingredients. Thanks to BK for the Goslings recommendation - AWESOME!!! (good thing I have a case of St.James and Goslings in the pantry huh?).

Thanks to the Lovely Joelle, we have a huge patch of fresh mint in the front garden, and I still have 2 pineapples left (though the supermarkets were out today). Just restocked on limes in case Ivan shows up, so I got over 100 limes ready for sacrifice. I guess I can use the Dole canned pineapple if I run out of fresh, but it just isn't the same.

Have the Blue Hawaiians "Sway" on full volume, now truly pissing off my cowboy wannabe neighbors (TAKE THAT YA BASTADS!!!!)

Got an invite to a party tomorrow to celebrate either the end of the world or Hurricane Ivan, or someone's birthday or something ... they said I should bring rum (huh - that's the problem when everyone knows you've stocked up).

Those are part of my Mai-Kai mugs up on the shelf there. Joelle says I shouldn't get more since we've got them stacked everywhere here at the house. I keep telling her I'm waiting for the right time to sell them back to Kern!

And people ask what the lure of the "Tiki Culture" is?!?!?! HA!

Cheers! Mai-Tai #16

Stay on the beach. The natives over there are cannibals.
They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.

http://www.cybertiki.com

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-09 16:00 ]

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-09 16:02 ]

A

CHEERS!!!!

C

I hate trying to post a pic when I've been drinking. Hanford needs to do something to simplify the image link :) just finished nubmer 16 and am eyeing number 17. my lips are just a BIT numb, so I think I'm OK so far. The question is, if I squeeze out a blender full of Fiji Kava, and THEN do Mai-Tai #17 what might the results be ...

stay tuned!

Cheers!

8T

Cybertiki's next post:

"I'm not as think as you drunk I am!"
Hic. Hic.

Seriously though, as you get painlessly numb, do be careful if Ivan comes knocking.
By that of course I mean protect those fragile mugs! Oh and yourself too!
Good Luck

Next post after that:

Hey....hic....where'd all the rum go...hic?

C

It takes slightly more than 17 to knock me over (sadly). Irish constitution don't you know. Kava's OK, but I have to avoid the more potent painkillers that I have here at the house - those are the one's that knock me over (witness the Hawaiian Inn incident).

I got thru about 2 cups of Kava, fresh from New Caledonia last week (the Fijiian is just too strong), blended for about 5 minutes with coconut milk and lecithin, then pressed thru cloth. It required another Mai-Tai to get the taste out of my mouth. Now both my lips and nose are numb. I should probably eat something, so I put some potatoes in the oven - sheesh! hHope I remembver to take them out!

Ghods ... where's Pablus when you need him???

Cheers! (Mai-Tai #17)

T

I'm on Mai Tai number zero. And it sucks! (still at the office...)

D

DUDE!

16 in one day, or 16 total this week or in your lifetime? Damn yo! And I thought I could knock 'em back!

Is this some sort of contest that was posted here that I didn't kow about?

C

I'm working over number 17 right now, and considering another kava bowl ... I've swapped out my third Blue Hawaiians album for Los Straightjackets.

Party's entering an entirely new phase.

Hope I remember to take the damned potatoes out of the oven.

(I would be remiss if I failed to point out that compared to Pablus, I'm a lightweight)

Cheers!

C

I'm still at the office too.

The advantages of employment by a foreign entity.

Cheeers!!!!

C

ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Number 18 ... Los Straightjackets playing REAL LOUD. Here I am in the as yet unfinished Cannibal Lounge. Hopefully this will be completed this month! Got my Mai-Kai shirt on, and ready to go!!!

Ghods - better pull the potatoes soon or the Lovely Joelle will kill me.

also managed another Kava Bowl - Fijiian this time - this could well be my last post ...

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K
Kono posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2004 7:05 PM

This is what two hurricanes (with a third threatening) will do to even the most rational folk. :wink:

17 Mai Tais! I'd have lime heartburn coming out my ass...

Please share your kava recipes! I've got a bunch of ground kava (Fijian) sitting in the freezer. I'm surprised no one's told you that your liver's gonna explode from mixing kava and alcohol. They kind of scared me a bit. Now ya've got me interested in kava again!

C

#18 is done ... Los Straightjakets are history. we're now on Surfpatrouille!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Ja arbeite ich für eine deutsche Firma.

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-09 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-09 19:21 ]

[ Edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-09 19:55 ]

C

OK, the Lovely Joelle has returned, and it seems that Christina was at a party of some variety. So this is why I was deserted ... I DID save the potatoes, and after the two kava bowls and Mai-Tai #18 decided to do a gradual slow down.

Put on Julie London, sent Christina to bed, put the coffee on, took a nice walk out in the back to see how the 50 palms are doing (after Frances), came back in and poured myself a tasty coffee with Kahlua,rum, and cream ... well, there's gotta be a way to make it drinkable right? Julie's doing 'Blues in the Night' right now ... dare I hope?????

Joelle is debating the merits of "sweet" Mai-Tai's vs. "sour" Mai-Tai's (the way I like them), and I'm feeling VERY mellow at this point. Like I care right now :)

Anyway, I've decided to sleep in tomorrow, so I'm going for some more potent alkalai's and turning in. Good night to all, and may your evening's be as pleasant as mine has been!

Cheers!!!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2004 8:18 PM

Good night, my friend.

Wish I were there to clink the glass and keep you in good spirits. Or drink you out of all your good spirits.

It IS a stressful thing to have this at hand yet again. Interesting to observe my friends and family and myself. The way I dealt with it the other night of candlelight was 5 double Test Pilots - a pitcher of Beachbum's Own and a loud rant at the electric company for not having their lines buried instead of floating about in the trees.

Beware of the Floridians at Hukilau - we could end up releasing our angst by drinking every single bottle of booze in a 50 miles radius.

Then we'll grab some war clubs off the vendor tables and attack the Californians.

Then again...where the heck would we ever get any Falernum?

Maybe we'll just sing all night.
That sounds better.

Hey dude - your potato(e)s are burning.

C

G'nite Bro! Would've been pleasant to have you here tonite - it was a good evening!

Let's not club the tourists ... let's just sing. Here's what I'm listening to as I drift into Morpheus arms.

http://www.cybertiki.com/mp3/Waikiki-02.mp3

Cheers!

UB

On 2004-09-09 19:05, Kono wrote:
17 Mai Tais! I'd have lime heartburn coming out my ass...

Is there a vaccine for that?

Beware of the Floridians at Hukilau - we could end up releasing our angst by drinking every single bottle of booze in a 50 miles radius.

Then we'll grab some war clubs off the vendor tables and attack the Californians.

Pablus, sorry you're going stir crazy....stuck inside with all that booo hiccup....but do not despair, the Californians are coming to rescue you from evil Ivan. (with falernum in hand)

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2004 9:43 PM

Dude, we gotta get you an ice crusher! Makes all the difference!

H

On 2004-09-09 20:49, cybertiki wrote:
Here's what I'm listening to as I drift into Morpheus arms.

I think if I had as many Mai-Tais as you've had tonight, I'd be meeting his big sister. Sounds like you had a great time, though! Make sure you save a few liver cells for Hukilau.

Dude.......how often do you get liver transplants?

what german firm do you work for?

Anytime, man...I miss ya. Goslings just has a better flavor to me than Myer's...sweeter and spicier and less smoky. More mixable (in my humble opinion). Did you all survive the hurricanes?

Cybertiki - you're my hero.

Posting after 17 Mai Tai's. I personally couldn't find the PC let alone the keyboard.

I hope all is well in paradise.

Holy cow, you type (and write) better after 17 Mai Tais then I do stone cold sober! I lived in FL for a few years and webt through a few hurricanes and my no. 1 emergency provision was always rum.
Sounds like you had a good evening- thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all for your kind wishes last night!

Swanky: Actually, I have an ice-crusher attachment for the Oster Beehive blender, however, after about the eighth mai-tai, I gave up on it, considering it too be too dangerous to use in the state I was in!

Humuhumu: Morpheus sister? Hmmmm ... must be either a Neil Gaiman fan or into Death Metal perhaps? In the Greek Pantheon, of the three named Oneiroi, all of them were males.

Son of Mothra: (I love that name!) Liver transplants???? What's a liver? In fact, my family is one of those cursed with an overly efficient enzyme that breaks down alcohol slightly more efficiently than a lot of folks. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. The upside is that I've NEVER had a hangover, no matter how much I drink (even to the point of passing out).

BK: Yes - the Goslings is superior; you've made a convert of me! We did OK in the Hurricane, though I've been on the roof all morning trying to repair the spots where all the shingle got ripped off. Figured I'd better do it before Ivan so I can start with new leaks in different spots next time around.

Kon-Hemsby: I've always wanted to ask if those are your tattoos ... man - that is some totally awesome body art!!! My daughter Christina, who is 5, recently asked when she can get a tattoo. I'm screwed.

Drunken Hat: I work for Siemens ... I work in the area of cryptography and security. It isn't much fun except when I get to go to Munich. Cryptography is the worst; if anyone is looking for a career change, I'd advise against this field.

Urban Tiki: Yes - rum is the bare minimum essential element in case of a storm. I thank the ghods for rum each and every day - but for a different reason perhaps than one might expect ... if I get drunk enuf, I might write a dialogue on the subject sometime. As far as being able to type while under the influence, I normally type at about 80 words per minute - last night, my final post to Pablus took almost 20 minutes. By my calculation, that's just about 2 words per minute - so it does take a toll!

Cheers!

H

Cybertiki, I was reading your posts last nite you were beyond funny. Glad you made it ok. good luck with the next one. However, what is it exactly that you do for a living????

On 2004-09-10 14:45, hiltiki wrote:
However, what is it exactly that you do for a living????

Someone should ask me an EASY question on Friday afternoon ... mostly, I do whatever they tell me to do, which lately has been putting out fires more often than not.

I get to work with a wide range of entities, including government, industry, and research organizations who have requirements to implement a variety of advanced encryption technologies for the protection of voice/data/video over public and private networks. Most of the entities are international, so we play with all sorts of communications modalities.

Truth to tell, it isn't so much what I do that I dislike, as it is the types of entities that I get to work with these days. My personal/political philosophies are coming into conflict with my need to maintain gainful employment, and this is the root of my overall lack of job satisfaction. I'm trying to move (internally) into a position where I'll be doing Project Management in an entirely different discipline, but so far I haven't had a lot of luck.

Anyway, time to go get some chicken wings to take to the end-of-the-world/hurricane/birthday party at our neighbor's house.

Cheers!

(witness the Hawaiian Inn incident).

hahahahahahahahahahhhahahaha :D You were the only one who didn't witness it!

So what's your Mai Tai recipe?

I know ... my own fault. Opiates and alcohol just aren't a good mix for me. I'd say I learned my lesson and that it'll never happen again, but I'd probably be lying. At least I got a good nite of dreamless slumber!

Here's how I was mixing them last night:

2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1½ oz. Goslings
1½ oz. St. James
1 oz. DeKuyper Orange Curacao
½ oz. Torani Orgeat Syrup
Crushed Ice

Put ingredients into a shaker with ice, shake until shaker frosts, pour into a Tiki Glass, garnish with a sprig of mint and a cherry and pineapple wedge on an umbrella.

The actual measurements became more general about halfway thru, and as stated, the crushed ice had to go once I determined that I could no longer drive the ice crusher without posing a danger to myself or others, but even with approximate measures and whole ice (I know - sacrilege) they were coming out pretty nice.

I made one for Joelle with double ingredients when she got home, and she drank half of it before declaring that it was too strong; so she put the other half in a bottle and stuck it in the fridge. At about 4:00 this afternoon, after working in the backyard all day, and on an empty stomach, she decided to come in, mix some sugar with the remaining mai-tai and drink it to cool off. So, we're now late for the party because things have (predictably) slowed to a crawl. She's trying to do her hair, and has a sort of Tina Turner thing going on right now ... well, you get the idea.

Anyway, should be an interesting evening!

Cheers!

Pages: 1 30 replies