Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hurricane Frances effect on the Wall of Tiki

Pages: 1 9 replies

F

Not a scratch on the Wall of Tiki I'm happy to report.. 124 mph winds just outside the window and not a swizzle stick rattled.

We're in Melbourne Beach about 1000 feet from the ocean, and we got the gnarly northeast back quadrant of that monster.. the worst part. Needless to say we're gonna have some curvey coconut palms after this one, but the house and the mugs all came through with flying colors. Power even came on right quick.. however, if I have to spend one more minute on this unbearable dialup connection I'm going to throw this computer out the window.

The Tiki Lagoon out back got a serious shearing. It needed the fall-season trim anyway.. that stuff will be back in no time- it grows uncontrollably.

Funny thing was, I took in all the tiki statues and masks except for this one 5 footer which was kinda heavy and way back behind all this plant growth.. Freaking hurricane force winds rip through the yard knocking over like every tree and taking off every leaf as far as the eye can see.. I get back from the evacuation and every plant in that screen enclosure is just leaned over in a heap like a crop formation.. but the tiki.. the tiki is still standing right there like nothing happened.

I got a pic- I'll try and get it up with this horrible 12 baud vic20 modem

INTACT:

Fatuhiva,
Glad you came through it intact. Kind of worried when we didn't hear from you. You gonna go Hukilau? Hope so.
KG

D

beautiful collection!

and so happy you all are safe and sound..

elicia

D

beautiful collection!

and so happy you all are safe and sound..

elicia

wow.....................drool drool

That collection is unbelievable! You must have thousands of dollars worth of minty fresh vintage mugs. I thought I was cool with my 1 tikibob, and 1 mainlander. Damn!

I think I am going to be sick... that is such an awesome collection!!

Thanks- yes, I think we are going to be attending the Hukilau- the plan right now is we will be heading over with Duke Carter and his family (we both have new baby boys)

My connection is acting slightly better, so perhaps today I can get some pics up- the ones above are old pics from the original thread I just linked to because my connection was slow- that was still during the unpacking process- those shelves are packed solid now with more on the other side of the room.

Bailing out of the house leaving all that just sitting there loose wasn't an easy feeling hahaha

I have a few ideas now for potential hurricane protection for them- at least to a point, so I should have that in place by next season

M

Wow, what a collection. How about presenting your great possessions on our Tiki DVD. We have section called "The Tiki Telegram" and it is open to anyone in the Tiki community to show this the like. Even short movies, what ever you like. Please contact us.

check out:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9450&forum=7

The DVD of Tiki
http://www.armchair-travelling.com

[ Edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:47 ]

Wow, I'm so jealous!!!

Pages: 1 9 replies